Topic: New Kaya Korean

This is the third Kaya that I have had. Honestly, the first couple were not as I ordered, and that is in no way a reflection of the company, only the dealer.

Yesterday, I received the bow that I had ordered and it is a rocket. 55@31, it just hands down performs better than any western longbow or recurve that I have ever shot at that weight.

Unbelievable value this bow is. Although I don't care much for the pattern, performance is of more importance to me anyway.

Trying to learn the Korean discipline or style of archery, but if I decide not to shoot that way, this bow will still perform just fine.

Thumbs up

Re: New Kaya Korean

raven wrote:

This is the third Kaya that I have had. Honestly, the first couple were not as I ordered, and that is in no way a reflection of the company, only the dealer.

Yesterday, I received the bow that I had ordered and it is a rocket. 55@31, it just hands down performs better than any western longbow or recurve that I have ever shot at that weight.

Unbelievable value this bow is. Although I don't care much for the pattern, performance is of more importance to me anyway.

Trying to learn the Korean discipline or style of archery, but if I decide not to shoot that way, this bow will still perform just fine.

You are correct in all respects.  I just spent the last week with Kaya/Greatree, helping them with explaining and demonstrating Korean archery to people.  The bows are really great and perform well.  The people behind the bows are the best of the best.

I also agree with the pattern on the bow--I tend to feel I am shooting a very fast handbag... ;-)

Thumbs up

Hi, I am new to this Forum and I would like to get some suggestions on the new Kaya bows and also the Hwarang Hybrid.  I've been shooting with the Kaya KTB at 40lbs for the past year and now I am thinking of upgrading my bow to a bit heavier bow like either the new Dong Yi or maybe a Hwarang Hybrid bow.

Could I get your opinion on the differences between the KTB and the Dong Yi especially in terms of feel and performance whether if its worth the upgrade.  Also on paper, it seems the Dong Yi and the Hwarang hybrid bows are the same except that the Hwarang requires more maintenance such as a heat box. Can you tell how they stack up against each other?

Thanks...

Thumbs up

Hi Yoong,

First, I should mention that the Dong Yi is, currently, out of production, due to a lack of horn for the belly.  I sent Kaya some horn strips, but the ones used on horn bows is too short for the Dong Yi.  So, they need to locate a good supplier first.

However, once the Dong Yi is back in production, I can tell you from personal experience, it is more bang for the buck.

T

Thumbs up

Thomas thanks for the update on the DongYi.  I was wondering about the bow because it had been taken out of the catalog.

Thumbs up

Thanks Thomas, I will hold off on getting a new bow until the Dong Yi is available.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Trident 2011-09-13 21:50:30)

Hi Thomas, I can get my hands on a dong yi, would you say it is a much better choice over the ktb if money is not a problem and it is available? I shoot 70 lbs on a compound bow, do you think 50lb is good for hunting for me, or should I get a 55lb which is the max if I can? My draw length is 29"... I'm used to a high letoffs I'm very curious to see how this will handle... Thanks!

I take that back, the store that supposedly had them online said they were supposed to come in, but were abruptly discontinued which follows your comment. Shame, looked really nice...

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Hi Thomas, I can get my hands on a dong yi, would you say it is a much better choice over the ktb if money is not a problem and it is available? I shoot 70 lbs on a compound bow, do you think 50lb is good for hunting for me, or should I get a 55lb which is the max if I can? My draw length is 29"... I'm used to a high letoffs I'm very curious to see how this will handle... Thanks!

If what you are looking for is a hunting bow, a bow other than the Dong Yi might be a better way to go.  The reason I say that is because hybrid bows, although looking and feeling really nice, generally do not have the cast of the other ones (although the cast is still good for hybrids).  A KTB would probably be better.  Regarding draw weight, it would depend a lot on the legal minimum where you are; with that said, prominent bowhunters have said that 50# is enough to drop any game in North America (which includes some pretty big animals), so you should go by what is comfortable for you. 

T

Thumbs up

The Kaya Firefox (just a KTB without the leatherwrap  big_smile) is out!  Anyone has one?

Thumbs up