Re: Draw Length and Anchor

raven wrote:

Hun,

I see you are drawing your bow to about the same length as the gentleman with the beard in the photo above. To me this is just far more practical, in terms of real life situations that the ancients would use. Is this right?

Lets face it, the farther you draw the bow, the longer it takes to reach draw length, which means it takes longer to release the arrow, and for it to find its mark.

When hunting or at war, you want to be able to expedite this process as much as possible......because it is a matter of life and death.

What historical reference do we have for such long draw lengths? I have been scouring the net for old paintings, and have come up with very few that can be identified as korean, and comparable.

Keep in mind that Koreans of times gone by were of much shorter stature than they are today (with corresponding arm spans), so their draw lengths would have also been shorter.

Thumbs up

Raven

Short recurves evolved for use on horseback while moving.  They were used at maximum possible range to harass formed bodies of troops and at relatively close range - about 50m - to maximize penetration of armored individuals by punching through armor which long heavy arrows (from either the Mongolian recurve or the English longbow) could achieve.  In either case the long draw is key to achieving the needed arrow mass and penetration.  As far as speed of executing a shot in hunting or in war, first shot accuracy beats a half dozen rapid misses anytime....

Kanuck

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

[...] shorter stature than they are today (with corresponding arm spans), so their draw lengths would have also been shorter.

We are often speaking about "draw length", but one interesting thing is also the gesture / movement / anatomical positioning of the body.

Most Korean archer, a bit less than Kyudo archers, can have a very interesting body position, with the draw hand far behind the ear, bent draw wrist,  low draw elbow.  Another example in the attached photo (found on a Korean web site). 

Actually, when we say "draw length" do we say "the draw length that should be necessary to achieve this body position" ?

Post's attachments

korean coude bas poignet arrondi un peu style kyudo_MG_1886.jpg 223.33 kb, 5 downloads since 2011-12-29 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Raven,
The nock of the arrow is at a point that would be level with the back of my ear, the back of the fletching below my earlobe. This is a draw of 32.5" measured to the back of the bow/rear of the point, my arrows are 33.5".
Looking at EM's comparison photos above, you will notice a difference in the drawing hand which I suspect is being emphasised by a higher elbow position. I understand the problem EM is finding as I find the same. In my opinion, my bow is drawn to the optimal length intended but my draw is a few inches longer, if we consider a classical Korean stance. If you try a bit of 'air'archery' and draw your hand back, you will find a natural end to your draw. At this point the knuckle of your thumb will be level with the point of your deltoid and there is maximum back tension. If you try to draw further, your drawing elbow begins to rotate around your body, which affects the drawing hand.
If my bow was a few inches longer, this draw length would be achievable. I think it's simply a case of adjusting form to suit the bow.
There are many depictions from the various Asiatic bow cultures and most (save Scythian) display the archer with a long draw and similarly, most arrows found have been long. Interesting  that early (Scythian) and late (Turkish) cultures feature shorter draw lengths.

EM,
I think your form is very good and if you look at the limbs of your bow, it's as much as you will achieve. A Janggung may help but not much. Take a look at a number of different Korean archers, there is plenty of variation in style.

Thumbs up

30 (edited by jbl 2011-12-30 02:27:40)

I think there are a few things to consider when talking about draw length. 

The first is historical accuracy:most if not all war bows were drawn to at least the ear if not longer.  The Manchu and English bows are most note worthy.

The second the Korean Traditional form was developed and shaped by the war bow draw and the fact that the target is placed out past 100 meters.

The third is archery in North America has been shaped by shorter target distances (20 meters) and the so called "ethical" hunting distances.

I myself draw to 31" because I find at the shorter target distances and in hunting situations I find the "shorter" draw easier for me to be accurate.  I guess my point is that styles and traditions evolve due to necessity.

Thumbs up

Thank you Hun.......it seems that are draw lengths are pretty similar.  Yours may be a bit longer than mine due to the 32.5 inch carbon arrows that I am using.  Also good pointer in regards to the air archery.

Also, as you have suggested, many different Korean archers with different stance and draw length.

Thumbs up

32 (edited by EM 2011-12-30 09:27:38)

~HUN~ wrote:

[...] Korean archers, there is plenty of variation in style.

Actually you're right. I said "most Korean archers" when I should have said "some ...". Clear bias ... :-) ... as I'm more impressed by the very long draw stance, I also collected more photos representing it.

About "jang janggung", as said Bluelake, Kaya makes one (they said me, similar to the KTB, but 52", 4 inches more in length than the KTB, named Wind Fighter [which is also available in 50" : "janggung"]).

I'm trying to obtain from Kaya the detailed features of this bow, and obviously, the maximum safe draw length (maximum draw length that you can use everyday without harming the bow). What is it that prevents the bowyer from giving systematically the information that really matters : the weight of the bow at every draw length and the maximum safe draw length ?

Thumbs up

I cannot coment on the Kaya bow but at 52" it probably will be ok.

Bows are weighed at the optimum draw length as determined by the bowyer. With mediterranean draw this is generally 28" as the average draw length of an adult male. Up to this point is therefore not considered important enough, I guess. Many bowyers will however state a maximum draw limit.
Not sure but I suspect these KTB models are weighed at 28" to go along with the accepted standard.

p.s. Beautiful form in that last picture. I would guess he is drawing around 32". Shorter arms anyone?

Thumbs up

EM wrote:

I'm trying to obtain from Kaya the detailed features of this bow, and obviously, the maximum safe draw length (maximum draw length that you can use everyday without harming the bow). What is it that prevents the bowyer from giving systematically the information that really matters : the weight of the bow at every draw length and the maximum safe draw length ?

The problem for Korean bowyers is that there isn't some magical formula by which they can easily make a bow of a certain draw weight at a certain draw length.  From experience, they are able to make bows of a certain draw weight at a limited number of draw lengths (i.e. 28" and 31").  Anything else adds too much time investment into a bow for the bowyer.

Thumbs up

So, based on Bluelakes comment above, how do the bowyers determine weight?

Unless Im missing something very obvious, how does a bowyer determine weight if he does not have a reference for how far the bow might, or should, be drawn?

Its a crazy puzzler!

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

So, based on Bluelakes comment above, how do the bowyers determine weight?

Unless Im missing something very obvious, how does a bowyer determine weight if he does not have a reference for how far the bow might, or should, be drawn?

Its a crazy puzzler!

You missed the point--although they "could" make draw weights at different draw lengths, it's not worth the effort for them.  They know how to get draw weights at certain draw lengths and do so quite well.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

[...]  they are able to make bows of a certain draw weight at a limited number of draw lengths (i.e. 28" and 31") [...]

It's already fantastic that they can do that for hand made horn bows.

Hence, the problem is that if the bowyer wants to inform his potential clients about the features of his bows (to ease the choice, etc.), he would be obliged (after the fabrication of every bow) to measure the weight at every draw length for every particular bow, and attach to the bow a piece of paper recording the results of the measurements.

Seen from afar... by an ignorant...  it could be like this :

5 measurements would largely suffice  for each bow [3" by 3", beginning at 28", with the last measurement beeing made at the maximum safe draw length of the bow]. The measurements would be made after the completion of the bow. I guess this could be part of a light "quality control process".This doesn't seem a lot of work, particularly if we compare to the long maturation of a hand made horn bow.

For modern synthetic replicas of Korean traditional bows, I guess the problem may be much simpler : more standardization ; no individual measurements (or maybe only one : for the max safe draw length) ; only give standard weights for 5 draw lengths (including the maximum safe draw length) and the margin of error.

Thumbs up

The international market is only a small percentage of the Korean bowyers' sales; anything other than a thumb ring draw length is unimportant to them.

Thumbs up

Putting it bluntly, they make Korean bows, take them or leave them. With KTB there are standards as there are with other traditional bows and these standards suit the needs of that particular culture.
Synthetic or otherwise, I am sure the bowyer could accomodate many of our requests and I am certain such personal treatment would demand premium prices  tongue
As Bluelake has pointed out, there is a limited market percentage for longer bows, the cost of producing them would not be worth the effort.
Same as other manufacturers, they have a range of models and you choose from that range.

EM,
These are the only bows I've come across that offer two measurements, the 28" is to satisfy western archers. It would seem that with a 31" measurement, this is what the bowyers consider the optimum draw length. Safety is factored in when tillering a bow, therefore another inch should be fine. Asking that bow for another 4" is going to end in misery.

Thumbs up

That brings up the question of the 50" Windfighter model available in Europe.  Is the Windfighter manufactured by Kaya?  Is the Windfighter the same as Kaya's Wind Fighter?  I will ask Freddie for an answer.

EM wrote:
~HUN~ wrote:

[...] Korean archers, there is plenty of variation in style.

Actually you're right. I said "most Korean archers" when I should have said "some ...". Clear bias ... :-) ... as I'm more impressed by the very long draw stance, I also collected more photos representing it.

About "jang janggung", as said Bluelake, Kaya makes one (they said me, similar to the KTB, but 52", 4 inches more in length than the KTB, named Wind Fighter [which is also available in 50" : "janggung"]).

Thumbs up

41 (edited by EM 2012-01-01 13:01:32)

WarBow wrote:

[...]  Is the Windfighter the same as Kaya's Wind Fighter?  [...]

Yes, that's a good question.

Actually the name cited by Kaya is "Windfighter" (I've mispelled it by separating the 2 words). Freddie's message was saying
   "  [...] Windfighter is made by KAYA and it is 52" length bow. [...]

Freddie refered me to JVD.nl, telling me that they sell Kaya's Windfighter. But JVD.nl didn't gave me any info and refered me to local shops that would buy from them. And on JVD's web site, we see a "Wind Horse Bow Riding Fighter Korean Traditional" [!!] (not associated with the name "kaya").

On Kaya's website, I couldn't find a word about "windfighter" or "wind fighter".
On other websites, we can find a "Wind Fighter" which is not directly associated with the name "kaya".

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

[...]  Asking that bow for another 4" is going to end in misery.

Yes, Hun,  I'm sure there is a limit and that the max safe draw lenght may not be very far from 33".
But generally speaking, we need a clear aknowledgment from the seller-bowyer about what is the safe max draw length of his bow.

For instance, on Kaya's Q&A we can read [from Freddie, 2010-12-02] :
"The maximum draw length of a Kaya KTB bow is 35inch."
But is it a safe (use everyday, all year round) draw length for a KTB ?

By asking questions about (maybe) exagerated max safe draw length [38" is 3" more than the KTB's (unsafe ?) max draw length], we may finally get very clear indications, from the bowyer/seller himself, about the real safe max draw length of his "jang janggung".  (well... let's hope).

Thumbs up

43 (edited by WarBow 2012-01-01 23:47:09)

It looks as if the Windfighter is a larger version of the KTB.  Kaya should make the 50" and 52" KTB available to North America.

Also, I wonder why a 65# version is not available for the 50" and 52" models?

Thumbs up

Seriously, has anyone drawn the regular KTB to 35"?

Thumbs up

Here 's what I took from a KTA book.
How DL can be determined.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/IMG_1307.jpg

Unit conversion for arrows
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/yellowcrane/IMG_1306.jpg

Nice to meet you guys here.

Thumbs up +1

46 (edited by sissara 2012-02-01 10:23:46)

I use a little longer version of gung. It 's an inch or two longer than regular one. My DL is only about 32" but my master suggested me to use this longer version for some reasons.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/yellowcrane/IMG_1952.jpg

Thumbs up

47 (edited by EM 2012-02-02 09:21:00)

sissara wrote:

Here 's what I took from a KTA book.
How DL can be determined.
[...]
Nice to meet you guys here.

Welcome Sissara,
thank you for this drawing !

do you know if it corresponds to the long draw style or to the very long draw style [very low draw elbow, bent draw wrist] ?

According to those measurements, my arrows should be 2cm longer (with a suitable bow) ;
I suspect they should be even longer if I wanted to achieve the very long draw stance/style.

Answer from Kaya : their jang janggung (WindFighter) can be drawn safely to 37 inches,
(... interpretation of various short answers... couldn't get info about the max safe draw lenght)

Thumbs up

Welcome Sissara and thank you for posting this information. I am guessing your master was considering stability when suggesting the longer version.

Thumbs up

49 (edited by sissara 2012-02-02 14:46:18)

Many thanks for warm welcome,
I think the book is for general modern sport/entertain style Gungdo. So the figure may describe normal style.
And for entry level student like me, other styles rather than basic posture are prohibited.

If the low draw arm/bending wrist drawing style was ever used for special/martial reasons such as style for extra short people, draw with armor/helmet, hose back shooting at 1-2'o clock or japanized, it was not recommended (for me) by my master.  hmm

Thumbs up

Thank you for your post with the picture for DL it clears up a couple things in my mind.

Thumbs up