Re: Kaya khan bow good for hunting?? First post, nice to meet everyone!

~HUN~ wrote:

Kaya have also announced horn bellied KTB with birch bark backing, so it seems they have followed suit with 'Hwarang' (SMG).
The SMG version KTB also incorporates bamboo in the limb. There is another that uses maple but by a different bowyer.

Actually, the Hwarang is now YMG, not SMG--one reason is because the latter does not provide birch bark backing for bows anymore, while the former does.

Thumbs up

Bluelake, is the hwarang available with horn on the belly currently or is production also having to deal with the horn shortage? I have a feeling it's not...

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

WB, the longest ones I've shot are the the Gold Tip 5575 I'm using now, and I have a few that were made slightly longer (inadvertently) I had some saunders screw in glue on tip adapters, and glued on 5/16 glue on 125 grain field tips, so that adds 2 inches at least, I'm estimating the arrow is at least 34" tip to nock. I love this arrow for my KTB bows... They fly straight and hit hard! And they look great.

As for full length I have to check it, should be close, but probably not 35.5" you must have long arms!

I'm 6' 2" and it works for me perfectly, the arrows still have a bit more than an inch if I'm at my full thumbring draw...

I haven't seen longer myself, only the full length bamboo shafts that come 39" on ebay... that may be the quicker and cheaper route than having them custom made, if thats possible.. Hope you find it.

Here in Finland is one arrowmaker, he use Scandinavian pine. I must ask, if he can make 35,5" arrows.

My carbons are 29", think i need longer arrows, when i get my KTB...  roll

Thumbs up

Hannu, you will definitely need longer arrows... I also have a 29" draw for regular shooting but these 32" gold tip work perfectly for me with the full thumbring draw, although I have been playing with the thumbring glove that Greatree archery sells lately, and it's been a lot easier to shoot, until I get a chance to fiddle with my thumbrings to get better fitment.

Thumbs up

Trident, my draw lenght is ~27,5", even with thumbring, but my anchor is same as when i shoot with longbow.
Bows are 70#@28 and 80#@30, that may be reason for short anchor... yikes

KTB will be 55#@30 and technique different.
Just try my kids 15# bow, draw lenght is more than 29". Must ask those wooden arrows too.

I use selfmade thumbring, which is made of horn.

Thumbs up

Hannu, The Easton Flatline has a 33" shaft the .400 spline works well in my 50# KTB, I'll be fletching a few of them within the next couple of days and will post a photo build along when I do. I'm not sure what's available to you, but most of the raw shafts seem to be 32" or 32.5" it is really simple to glue feathers or vanes on and even the most challenged should be able to glue the inserts into the end and screw in their point of choice.

Thumbs up

zdogk9 wrote:

Hannu, The Easton Flatline has a 33" shaft the .400 spline works well in my 50# KTB, I'll be fletching a few of them within the next couple of days and will post a photo build along when I do. I'm not sure what's available to you, but most of the raw shafts seem to be 32" or 32.5" it is really simple to glue feathers or vanes on and even the most challenged should be able to glue the inserts into the end and screw in their point of choice.

zdog, i make my own arrows.

Unfortunately i order last arrows about month ago, i wanted 29", but did not know that i will order KTB... tongue

I can use short arrows with my longbow, must order another dozen of full lenght shafts...

Thumbs up

On a per shot basis they're way cheaper than rifle ammo.

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Bluelake, is the hwarang available with horn on the belly currently or is production also having to deal with the horn shortage? I have a feeling it's not...

That type is available from SMG, but not YMG.

Thumbs up