Topic: stacking

As much as I like the Korean bows I have a basic problem with them which I was wondering if others have.

I regularly use three of the modern carbon ones, including a Hawarang, and even though they are all of the so-called “long” versions they all stack very badly at around 30”, while my aperture with the thumb draw is 34”+.

Admittedly I do have extra long arms but with the traditional Chinese horn-sinew bow I have no problem getting a 35” aperture (my problem then is worrying about the carbon arrows being too short).

Is the limitation in the carbon?

Are the traditional Korean bows of horn and sinew that more flexible??

Thumbs up

Re: stacking

Hi Tawfiq,

That is very strange that you are getting that at 30".  Even with a regular-length bow, I can usually pull back to about 32" or so with no feeling of stacking.  Usually, the bows will reach a certain draw length and then just stop, but are smooth to draw up to that point.

T

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Hi Tawfiq,

That is very strange that you are getting that at 30".  Even with a regular-length bow, I can usually pull back to about 32" or so with no feeling of stacking.  Usually, the bows will reach a certain draw length and then just stop, but are smooth to draw up to that point.

T

You are right blue lake, using my Easton  arrow length indicator and a mirror this time I do get a 32” aperture on the outer part of bow on my old Hawarang and 31”on the Song Mu and Yeun Moo ones. They surely open up well until then but that leaves my best opening at mid jaw!

The problem is in the lenght of my arms not the bows.

The question is, are the real horn-sinew ones more flexible?

Am I really the only one with this problem??

Thumbs up

Tawfig,
I've noticed that I can draw to the corner of my mouth using only my arm muscles, (about 29") I can draw further using arm muscle but it feels as if there is a solid wall I'm pulling against. If I let my back muscles kick in at this point it's smooth to anchor at my ear, 33".
On the up side if your knee itches you don't have to bend to scratch it

Thumbs up

zdogk9 wrote:

but it feels as if there is a solid wall I'm pulling against. If I let my back muscles kick in at this point it's smooth to anchor at my ear, 33".

Thanks, the solid wall I uderstand and feel, but the rest I am not sure I do.

My intended question is if manufacturing the carbon Korean bow at a longer length and therefore larger opening structurally feasible?

As its use gets more international I think there will be a increasing need by some users for such an extra long one.

Thumbs up

Tawfiq,

I have a few korean bows, Songmugung and Yeonmugung and I want to show you some pictures. This Yeonmugung bow is marked as 45# @ 28" but I weighted the bow and the scale shows 48# @ 28". When I draw this bow the limbs become almost parallel, but I feel the bow starts to stack only at 34.5", and the bow is the shortest model form Yeonmugung.

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/cristian_iepure3/Budeasa%20ianuarie%202011/IMG_9960.jpg

here is Ginni drawing his semi-hornbow from Songmugung, 74# @ 28"

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/cristian_iepure3/Budeasa%20ianuarie%

also, here is my 66# @ 28" Yeonmugung, janggung- the longest version made by the bowyer, also can be drawn to 34", and the stacking feeling appears after 33"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5J1BGnh7VA

Thumbs up

Thanks Cristian for the images, they have been quite useful. I very recently acquired both the bows you illustrated, (55# & 56# at 28”). The last couple of days I have left them both strung on a tiller at 30” and this morning they seem to open further or perhaps I have gotten stronger in the last two days  smile

I took note of the double winding of the arrows on your Kungdae. I have tried it and it gives a very stable hold on the arrows, even when over done with twenty of them…..

Thumbs up

8 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-14 07:30:35)

The weather is getting cold and the Hwarang becomes much harder to pull than during summer.  Ginni has the same experience.  What about others?

During summer, I could draw the long version of the 70-5#  YMG to 32".  Right now, the winter weather is making it very difficult to draw past 31"  Unfortunately, I do not have a bow weight scale.

Thumbs up

Anyone has a setup for measuring the draw weight vs length?

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

The weather is getting cold and the Hwarang becomes much harder to pull than during summer.  Ginni has the same experience.  What about others?

During summer, I could draw the long version of the 70-5#  YMG to 32".  Right now, the winter weather is making it very difficult to draw past 31"  Unfortunately, I do not have a bow weight scale.

That is very true with lower temperature they seem to be harder to open. I keep mine inside the house so when I go outside to shoot they are OK at the beginning but as soon as I take a short rest while they hang outside they seem to harden so now I bring them back in and put them near the radiator.

Actually with the real horn-sinew bows ( Manchurian and Hungarian) the hardening in winter feels much more radical so relatively carbon bows seem to be less affected.

Thumbs up

Ahhh that makes sense! I was wondering why my bow became harder to shoot after a while lately when it usually became easier during the summer  tongue  makes total sense...

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Ahhh that makes sense! I was wondering why my bow became harder to shoot after a while lately when it usually became easier during the summer  tongue  makes total sense...

There is of course another factor one should be wise not to  forget and that is with age our muscles and just about everything else get tired sooner, so some of the staking may be an excuse for old age. smile

Thumbs up

13 (edited by raven 2011-11-19 22:19:37)

bluelake wrote:

Hi Tawfiq,

T

This has been my experience. I just plan on not drawing the bow to what would amount to a 35" draw for myself.

Maybe this has been commented on, but the average korean is going to have a shorter draw length than the average Pollock like myself.

We have to keep in mind the people who developed such a splendid weapon.

Here is my theory behind the development of all traditional indigenous bows.

1. Purpose and use of the weapon.
2. Readily available materials.
3. Genetic makeup of the people who developed them.......and very closely following that is the cultural influence.

My two cents......it maybe only worth 1 cent though.... big_smile

Thumbs up

raven wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Hi Tawfiq,

T

This has been my experience. I just plan on not drawing the bow to what would amount to a 35" draw for myself.

Maybe this has been commented on, but the average korean is going to have a shorter draw length than the average Pollock like myself.

We have to keep in mind the people who developed such a splendid weapon.

Here is my theory behind the development of all traditional indigenous bows.

1. Purpose and use of the weapon.
2. Readily available materials.
3. Genetic makeup of the people who developed them.......and very closely following that is the cultural influence.

My two cents......it maybe only worth 1 cent though.... big_smile

Reasonable observation, but my original underlying point is that if one cannot be shooting at full aperture we will never be shooting the Korean bow correctly…and now that Korean archery is increasingly going international it would seem reasonable, and in their interest, for the manufactures to make some of their carbon bows a little longer for those extra long arms of some of their foreign clients. If now some of their bows come in “short”, “standard” and “long” sizes then why not encourage them to make the “extra long”? It would make some of us very happy. smile

Thumbs up

Let me give my personal experience.  Although I don't have a condor-length arm span, I am about 180cm tall and have an arm length to match my height.  I personally mostly use a regular Hwarang when shooting and I am able to bring it back to full draw length (arrows drawn to the back of the point).  I also have a janggung (extra long bow), but still draw to the same point; however the jg bow makes the draw feel a little easier.

I understand that Kaya makes a jang janggung bow (extra extra long bow), although I have never shot one, so I cannot comment on whether it adds more draw length.

Thumbs up

Kaya has an extra extra long bow?  Is it in their catalogue?

Thumbs up

I don't remember; it's just something I was told...

Thumbs up

hello ererybody,

I'm new to this forum and interested in traditional Korean bows.

I’m looking for a bow.  “longbow”, “mongol”,  “horsebow”,  ??  you tell me

Draw weight ~25lbs. at draw length  37 inches.  Is this possible?

my story:
I've been studing Kyudo for 3 years.  but I train with a traditional western club.
I would like to participate in some of their activities but the Japanese bow is not very apt.
I'm looking for a bow that will let me shoot without too many problems.
I want to continue with the oriental (thumb) style of shooting.

the draw weight must be light (25 lbs.) as I have a sholder  problem.

I live in Bourges, France
if there is anything else you need to know,  please ask.

thank you for your attention,
Bill Kleinsmith

Thumbs up

Hello Bill, welcome.
Kyudo draw length is very long and activities such as field shoots, etc, would prove to be quite awkward carrying a Yumi around with you.
The thumb draw has been used by many cultures, not all of which featured a long draw. Turkish archers tend to draw to a point on the jaw, draw lengths of 26"-28". I've used a Hun and Turkish in the past, both with different draw lengths, I think it's a case of adapting your style to suit the bow. I prefer the longer draw length of Korean but like others, I would feel more comfortable and stable if the bow yielded another inch or two.
Personally, I can speak only of SMG or Kaya KTB, I think they are at their limit at 33". Janggung may offera couple of inches more (should have bought this one  roll ) but still at its limit. A short bow can only realistically be drawn so far afterall.

Thumbs up

Hi,
Bluelake mentions a " janggung"  and a "jang janggung " as being long versions.
is there an adderss where I can ask for the specs.?
thanks,
Bill bourges

Thumbs up

Bill Bourges wrote:

Hi,
Bluelake mentions a " janggung"  and a "jang janggung " as being long versions.
is there an adderss where I can ask for the specs.?
thanks,
Bill bourges

http://www.kayaarchery.com/qna.html

Thumbs up

22 (edited by Kanuck 2011-12-08 13:35:36)

Technically, "stacking" is the point where the bowstring exceeds an angle of 90 degrees from the end of the bow. That is one reason why recurves can be so much shorter than straight limbed bows and be comfortable to draw.  In the photo of Ginni above, you can see that, right at the tip, the string angle has started to exceed 90 degrees.  He must have felt a major increase in draw weight the last inch, but he is obviously a very powerful archer.  As bluelake says, for most of us it will feel like we have hit a wall.  On a force draw curve, the line goes almost vertical at this point.

Non-technically, "stacking" is defined as that point in the draw length where the weight seems to go up much, much faster than is typical for the draw.  Between 25 and 28 inches, a modern recurve or longbow will gain about 2lbs per inch.  Beyond that the rate might start increasing to 2.5 -3 lbs per inch, which might be noticeable but when it reaches about 4-6lbs per inch you will know it.  The tricky thing about long draws is that our bodies are much stronger beyond a Western draw to the corner of the mouth as we bring the back muscles fully into play.  This allows us to tolerate a fair bit of "stacking" as we draw past the jawbone.  Again, look at the photo of Ginni above and see how the muscles across the top of his back are developed and how his shoulder blades seem to be coming together.  He has trained himself to use all the muscles together when drawing and holding a bow.  While the bow was probably pulling over 90lbs at his draw length he appears perfectly relaxed.  In the video I've seen of him shooting, he makes it look easy....but we never do get to see his target  wink

Thumbs up

Kanuck, when I made my arrows I made an agreement, they don't interfere with my bow when I release the string, I let them free to go where they want smile)

Thumbs up

That's my problem, the arrows go where THEY want, not where I want!  lol

Thumbs up

Ginni

It is a wise archer who can experience the joy of a flying arrow without worrying about where it is hitting!  If only all of life were so simple...

Kanuck

Thumbs up