Topic: First Traditional Bow

Hi all,

New to the forum and relatively new to archery. I want to focus on traditional and from my searches I came accross the Kaya bows. In particular the Khan, as it seems to be the best of both worlds with the shelf etc, as I dont think I am ready to use thumbring.

My question is, Do you think this is a good choice for my first 'proper' bow, any other similar priced options to consider?

Cheers, Joe

Thumbs up

Re: First Traditional Bow

Couple of thoughts; Start with 30# to 35# draw, this'll make the learning process easier.
Kaya makes great bows as you'll figure out from reading reviews on this and other forums
If you're new to this, there is no reason not to go with the KTB and a thumb ring, It will take about the same amount of effort to become adequate with a thumb ring as with a three finger release, and for me it seems more natural, from what I've read the KTB allows for a longer draw than the Khan and as a consequence higher arrow speed.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on getting the Khan for now as a step on from my trainer bow (Take-down recurve) and was hoping to look to getting a KTB around easter time.

Thumbs up

Oh and could anyone suggest some suitable arrows for this bow. I have a draw of about ~28.5". Also they need to readily availiable in the UK. Thanks all!

Thumbs up

5 (edited by bjarup 2011-11-25 06:14:21)

With a draw length of about 28" a left handed Khan (assuming that You are right handed and wants to use thumb ring - else right handed) will provide You with exactly what You need as the Khan has the arrow shelf to support = less things to learn at first.  Go for a 35# to 45# bow.

I shoot my right handed Khan using thumb ring like the Mongolians (arrow on the left side of the bow) and it works fine.

To utilize the KTB and get the same power from it as the Khan You need a longer draw length.  The Khan gives You all it's got at 28" - 29.5" and it ain't slow.

Everything said IMHO.

Thumbs up

Thanks bjarup. I only had access to the righthand model so that is what I have gone for.

Could you tell me if three under or mediterranian 3 finger draw works best on the khan? Or does it not matter?

It is 50# draw so maybe I can progress to shooting thumbring how you do it in the near future.

Cheers!

Thumbs up

MrJoe wrote:

Thanks bjarup. I only had access to the righthand model so that is what I have gone for.

Could you tell me if three under or mediterranian 3 finger draw works best on the khan? Or does it not matter?

It is 50# draw so maybe I can progress to shooting thumbring how you do it in the near future.

Cheers!

I use both three fingers as with ordinary recurve and thumbring.  I never used all fingers under.  With Right handed bow and thumb ring placement is so that index finger is just below the arrow to avoid pushing the arrow off the shelf.

Thumbs up

Mr Joe-I actually think it might be easier to learn the Korean bow right off the bat with a thumb ring.  The reason I say this is because you would not have to "relearn" the sight picture or how to use a longer anchor.  The best advice I could give is start with a low poundage bow and make sure you get a thumb ring that fits properly.  I really think more people have given up on the thumb draw due to an ill fitting ring more than anything else.

Thumbs up +1

There's even a thumb glove made by greatree archery which works well I have to say. I still need to do some better fitting with the thumbrings I have...

Thumbs up

Joe,
It is my opinion you need to decide if you really want to shoot this style. It is great fun, and you will enjoy it thoroughly!

Find yourself a used bow, and give it a try. When I first learned the thumb ring it was with an old bear 100% fiberglass bow that I had to rework the handle. It had a shelf on it. It was 45#. Paid 35.00 dollars for it, and it was impressive how it would throw a full length carbon arrow.

It made an impression, because to shoot the bow with fingers, and then shoot the bow with the ring was a world of difference in performance. Then and there, I was convinced of the virtues of the ring.

You should really ask yourself what are you looking for in traditional archery? Are you looking to shoot aspirin out of the air, or are you more concerned with a more "traditional" technique and approach?

What you decide should have an impact on the equipment you choose.

Thumbs up

After considering advice I have asked to change my order to the KTB and focus on thumbring shooting . Afterall it is what bought me to this forum!

Thumbs up

MrJoe, you can also special order the 60# KTB.

Thumbs up

Hi MrJoe, new here myself. You said you were ordering the KTB, may I ask where are you ordering from? Or, if anyone else knows, please chime in. Thanks all.
   Will

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Hi MrJoe, new here myself. You said you were ordering the KTB, may I ask where are you ordering from? Or, if anyone else knows, please chime in. Thanks all.
   Will

Will,

There are different places you can buy them from, such as Three Rivers Archery; I also have sold a few.

Thomas

Thumbs up

15 (edited by MrJoe 2011-11-27 11:03:44)

I am in the UK so mine is coming from quicks. If you are in the US follow Bluelakes advice 

I have plumped for the 45# one, they are cheap enough here that I can buy stronger if/when I get familiar with the technique.

Any advice on what arrows will suit. If anyone has a chance could they check merlin archery uk and advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thumbs up

Bamboo arrows are awesome of you can get you hands on some...

Thumbs up

What would work better between Wood + Alu/Carbon to start with?

Thumbs up

You can get a 32.5" carbon arrow, with a great variety of spines. To me, these are very economical start.

As soon as I can Im going to start working on some bamboo arrows that Trident and JBL have.

But the carbon are straight, economical, and have a wide variety of spines that you can choose from.

In my experience, 5-10lb over for spine of the arrows to start with. Once the release gets to be more efficient, then maybe even higher.

Thumbs up

I assume I will need feather fletchings?

Thumbs up

MrJoe wrote:

I assume I will need feather fletchings?

Not necessarily.  Korean carbon arrows use low-profile, soft plastic vanes.

Thumbs up

Ahhh ok, would something like these be suitable -  http://www.archerysupplies.co.uk/acatal … rrows.html   in the 32" length option?

Thumbs up

MrJoe wrote:

Ahhh ok, would something like these be suitable -  http://www.archerysupplies.co.uk/acatal … rrows.html   in the 32" length option?

Possibly--you might like to just get a few to try before investing too much.  The nocks--or the string's center serving--might need to be changed.

Thumbs up

Is a 32" arrow enough to get started with?

Thumbs up

MrJoe wrote:

It depends upon your draw length, but it's a common length.

Thumbs up

This is what I did to determine my draw length.  Maybe it will workout for you.  First, make your bow hand into a fist and hold onto a tape measure between the thumb and index fingers.  Next, spread the tape measure with your draw arm until you reach your shoulder.  My measurement was 35".  Through experiment with a 50# KTB, I determined that my actual draw is 33.5": the rule of thumb was to subtract 1.5".  However, everybody is different.  Your mileage may vary.

MrJoe wrote:

Thumbs up