Re: First Traditional Bow

MrJoe wrote:

Is a 32" arrow enough to get started with?

I shoot "normal" bows about 27" dl, with thumbring and (i guess it is) turkish style 29" and korean style about 30-31".

But i have short arms... big_smile

Thumbs up

I am pretty much average proportions all round, 5'11 tall and a normal draw of 28.25", I am going to buy 6 wooden 32" arrows and see how I get on with them for length.
  Having trouble finding anything longer than that.

Thumbs up

I have a general question on the draw weights of these bows. The brochure and reviews talk about how the actual poundage of the bow SEEMS to be much less when it's drawn, but in actuality is the poundage stated for the bow. Does everyone (anyone) agree with this synopsis, and if so, what weight would I be comfortable with ordering if I am currently shooting a western recurve 49# @ 26" draw-length, anchoring with string-hand thumb around jaw bone? I want to shoot as much poundage as I am comfortable with, but taking into consideration I also want to try (at least) to extend my draw length as per the Korean draw because I understand that the REAL performance of a Korean bow comes with that extended draw. Initially I figured a 50# pound bow, which, being configured at a 28" draw, would give me , at my 26" DL, approximately 44#. BUT..... if that is going to FEEL like 34# maybe I should order a heavier draw weight?
    Any thoughts?

Will

Thumbs up

Will, don´t know others, but my KTB feels like 55#@30, which it is.. big_smile

Not too light, just comfortable, altough i shoot also 60@28, 70@28 & 80@30 bows...

Thumbs up

Will,
It seems my complete reply did not get entered.The bows both measure 56#@31".I measured them in 1"increments from 18" to 31".They are virtually identical.The KTB measures 41# @26"and47#@ 28"while the Hwarang measure 40# and 47# respectively.I hope this helps.

Thumbs up

Think I'll stick with the 50# draw weight. Even if it does FEEL lighter that will be to my benefit, and will make extending the draw length somewhat easier.

Thumbs up