1 (edited by jbl 2011-12-04 04:03:10)

Topic: Joys of The Hunt

No this isn't about getting "The One" or getting a hat trick (deer, squirrel, rabbit) in fact this is about only seeing one squirrel, no rabbits and a small buck.  I finally made it out to the woods (weather and work cooperated) it was a nice warm day and light showers early in the day so I decided to go out a little later figuring the small game population would be coming out when the sun peaks through and the rain leaves. 

After checking in (public land) I looked over the area and decided that the marshy area with the oak trees nearby would be best for my hunt.  I hiked over that way between the tree line and a corn field and decided to warm up with some stump shooting.  On about my third shot I was going to retrieve my arrow and all of a sudden I hear some leaves moving and see a bushy tail.  Now that is what I wanted.  I quickly nocked my arrow and went into the trees I saw my fat friend and loosed an arrow at about 15 yds-I missed(of course not by much:))  I then went to retrieve my arrow which had gone further into the woods and on my way back out I ran into the buck.  He was only about ten feet away and me without a broadhead on my string.   I was using a back quiver so I knew there was no way I could get an arrow out without "flagging."  I just looked at my young friend and said, "it is your lucky day just get out of here."  He tilted his head as if to say "thanks" and took off.

Now I didn't get the deer or the squirrel but I got something else and that was a connection with nature many can not understand.  Many would say I was unlucky but to me I was lucky even though I was "shut out" there is nothing like being in the woods.

Thumbs up

Re: Joys of The Hunt

Great story jbl... Those are the moments, we all remember in our hearts. I missed a spike this afternoon, and passed on a few does. Though it's rifle season up by me now.

Thumbs up

jbl, I don't know how old you are, but you may find (as I have) that those kinds of outings
will increase with age, and you will not mind at all. As you you say, just to be out there and be a part of God's creation.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by jbl 2011-12-04 22:04:48)

Will-I am well into my 40's and the only trophy I have hunted for is my wife and that was over 20 + years ago. wink   It was just great exercise, a great experience to be that close to a deer and great to be out in the woods.  That is the reason why I enjoy small game so much no need for planning, or pressure to get "the one" just grab the bow and quiver and away you go.

Thumbs up

Took my 15 year old daughter squirrel/rabbit hunting the other day what a great time.  I have taken her many times before but never this late in the season where squirrels are harder to find because: they see you first and the ones that are still around are on alert for any predators.  Another issue with the leaves being down and the ground being frozen it is like the horde moving in the woods.

The one thing she really liked was how after about 15 minutes of the woods being silent and still the birds start to come back and then there are other "critters" that start to come back out as the "all clear" is sounded.  Talk about an education.

No we didn't get anything...hunting squirrels with a bow isn't easy.

Thumbs up

A few years ago I witnessed, for the ONLY time in person, a friend of mine take a squirrel with a bow. I never have, so as I saw the arrow actually hit him a feeling of both amazment and surprise came over me(that's how much I considered hitting a squirrel with a bow as almost impossible). It was about a 10 yard shot and he was cheating(compound bow with sights),still I was impressed.
      As I think about it, I can't remember ever hunting squirrels with a bow, as I prefer using a
a rimfire rifle. Hard to do EVERTHING you enjoy doing.    hmm

Will

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

As I think about it, I can't remember ever hunting squirrels with a bow, as I prefer using a
a rimfire rifle. Hard to do EVERTHING you enjoy doing.    hmm

Will

Many of my muzzleloading friends also hunt squirrels (usually with .32 or .36 cal. rifles).  Some will do something they call barking, which, from my understanding, is to hit the tree a squirrel is on, right next to its head.

Thumbs up

Right, "barking" was (supposedly) used by the American frontiersmen to kill squirrels without destroying a lot of meat. Probably larger calibers work better than the .32 and .36's
as the squirrel is killed by concussion. Actually the .32's and .36's would do a better job with direct hits as opposed to "barking".   tongue

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Right, "barking" was (supposedly) used by the American frontiersmen to kill squirrels without destroying a lot of meat. Probably larger calibers work better than the .32 and .36's
as the squirrel is killed by concussion. Actually the .32's and .36's would do a better job with direct hits as opposed to "barking".   tongue

http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingasso … 01#p124201

Thumbs up

I have been more lucky than good and have gotten a few squirrels and rabbits with my bows over the years and last year I was lucky enough to get one with my "old" Hwarang.  I am hoping to get out this upcoming weekend for some bushy tails and bunnies.  Just depends on the weather.

Thumbs up +1

This past weekend I was able to introduce a friend's 11 year old daughter to the joys of hunting.  It was a great experience for both of us a few years back I took my daughter on a hunt and I was glad my friend gave me this oppurtunity to teach her daughter.  I have been shooting with her for the past few months and she has become pretty good with the bow and I was going to go on my annual track of the world's most dangerous game....the squirel and she asked if she could go; her mother gave her permission.

It was amazing to see this girl transform from a non stop talker to a cold huntress the moment we changed the field tips on the arrows to "nutters" for the squirels.  When we got into the woods she really concentrated on every sound and her eyes took in every sight.  She was determined to make a meal out of the squirel and use the pelt for "something" she spotted a few squirels and got off some shoots but nothing succesful.  No biggie it didn't dampen her smile.

We may not have gotten a trophy but I got something more important a got a "Hey Jamie...can we do that again next week?"  Now if that isn't the joy of the hunt I don't know what is.

Thumbs up +1

Do you want to find the funny as a hunter, then what item do you use a bounty hunter metal detector? a gold detector, or any thing else? Then you can come to detectorall to learn more about it.You will handle it well.

Thumbs up

DonBoldul ................. you lost me there! sad

Thumbs up

Probably a spammer (we shall see)

Thumbs up