Topic: apply the correct twist to the bow handle

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to use a KTB for 7 months now : self training / thumb ring / self made bamboo arrows/ slow progresses... :-)

I use Thomas Duvernay's book and the numerous videos existing on Youtube, particularly those of "ymjang007".

Does someone know some book or web site (in english, for instance, ...) that explains precisely a technique for the KTB ?

Found interesting hints, but too few explanations, on "ktarchery.com". For instance :
"[...] to apply the correct twist to the bow handle [...]"
"[...] this natural twisting motion [...]"
Someone knows what that means precisely how it is achieved ?

Thanks,
EM

Thumbs up

Re: apply the correct twist to the bow handle

Twisting may mean letting the bow turn counter clockwise right after the release of the arrow, assuming you hold the bow with your left hand.

EM wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to learn how to use a KTB for 7 months now : self training / thumb ring / self made bamboo arrows/ slow progresses... :-)

I use Thomas Duvernay's book and the numerous videos existing on Youtube, particularly those of "ymjang007".

Does someone know some book or web site (in english, for instance, ...) that explains precisely a technique for the KTB ?

Found interesting hints, but too few explanations, on "ktarchery.com". For instance :
"[...] to apply the correct twist to the bow handle [...]"
"[...] this natural twisting motion [...]"
Someone knows what that means precisely how it is achieved ?

Thanks,
EM

Thumbs up

WarBow is correct.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

WarBow is correct.

Thank you for your quick answer, Warbow and Bluelake ;

That's good news !

I've applied some kind of "twist" to my bow, since the beginning, trying to follow what I read about kyudo (the "tsunomi" technique ?). I stopped "twisting" the KTB, a month ago, wondering whether this was appropriate, or truly traditional, or even only efficient. (I find that, when using a thumb ring, a very primitive "longbow/selfbow" is much easier to twist and rotate than a KTB).

But how Korean Traditional Archers describe the way they apply the correct twist to a KTB ?

I'm sure this would deserve a few pages of explanations (that will probably remain very "cryptic" without direct coaching, but should still be helpful [[example for kyudo, page 18 of  http://www.shuitsukankyudojo.de/texte/manual.pdf]]

Thumbs up

This torque applied to the grip should be slight, care should be applied as to not twist the limbs.
The horn bows are tillered off centre. Bluelake will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Good luck with your bow.

Thumbs up

6 (edited by EM 2011-12-18 20:02:09)

~HUN~ wrote:

This torque applied to the grip should be slight, care should be applied as to not twist the limbs.
The horn bows are tillered off centre. Bluelake will correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Good luck with your bow.

Thanks,

by collecting every hint, I'll eventually be able to "re-invent" the correct grip :-)
maybe even before I find a "technical manual" !?

Hope Thomas Duvernay will add something like that to a new version of his book ; a "technical manual" would help diffusing KTB use outside Korea. For instance, such a manual could expose the various Korean traditional techniques in use today, then it could be more specific about the most popular Korean traditional technique.

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

Good luck with your bow.

Hun is also correct--the torque is light.

Thumbs up

EM wrote:
~HUN~ wrote:

Good luck with your bow.

Thanks,

by collecting every hint, I'll eventually be able to "re-invent" the correct grip :-)
maybe even before I find a "technical manual" !?

Hope Thomas Duvernay will add something like that to a new version of his book ; a "technical manual" would help diffusing KTB use outside Korea. For instance, such a manual could expose the various Korean traditional techniques in use today, then it could be more specific about the most popular Korean traditional technique.

It will probably be a year or two before I come out with a revised edition of my book, although I hope to make it a color version  smile

Thumbs up

9 (edited by jbl 2011-12-19 01:22:24)

When it comes to the twist I have been told and my experience has shown if you have proper back tension and proper grip the bow will "roll" away without any movement by the archer.

Thumbs up

I have never had a problem being able to roll the bow to the left after the release...........
however this is a detriment, shooting in the western style where the arrow lies on the left
side of the bow (shooting right-handed). Rolling the bow to the left pulls the arrow off target.
So, if using a thumb ring, with my natural tendency to roll the bow to the left, I should be in good shape.  lol

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

It will probably be a year or two before I come out with a revised edition of my book, although I hope to make it a color version  smile

Great !

I'm volunteering for the proofreading of the new instructional part (how to correctly shoot the KTB).
(Proofreading in order to give hints about "are the instructions easy to understand and easy to follow ?")

well... hum...  I know... it is a new concept of proofreading : proofreading by non-native non-proficient english readers   :-) 
as that may be the sad condition of many "international" readers, isn't it worth trying ??

Thumbs up

the twist of the bow handle comes from the correct handle grip. First,  your left hand keeps the bow grip with the thumb oriented upwards, so that the thumb aligns with the upper limb, then you align your index finger with the left side of the upper limb, then you grip the handle with your pinky like holding an egg. This is how you must keep the bow handle, the twist being a result of the position of your hand on the grip.  It is easier to achieve the same twist every time by keeping the handle the same way than trying to guess which is the right amount of twist when randomly positioning your hand on the grip everytime you shoot an arrow. You may want to watch this in this video, at 0.16

Thumbs up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUUGdHREy8Y

Thumbs up

14 (edited by EM 2011-12-19 18:21:16)

Thanks,

I rediscover this vid that I stored in some playlist months ago. The description is similar to the one found in Thomas Duvernay's book, and similar to the one given on ktarchery.com.  And I did just like that for months, keeping  (during the whole draw) the sensation of twist : when you feel that the handle is trying to spin, but is prevented to do so by the pressure on the palm and on the last three fingers.

Not sure that an egg would resist to this type of pressure !? :-)

No pressure / no twist is what I'm trying theses days : doesn't seem very interesting for now.

Or the problem is that I keep the thumb low (to avoid touching the arrow) while keeping the other fingers at the right height on the handle.

Thumbs up

I have to agree 100% with JBL.It has been my experience, like the kyudo shooter, with just enough grip on the bow to aim and point the arrow, the bow will fall forward.Here is a link to me shooting a saluki crim tartar in this fashion. Once you apply this technique to a korean bow.....watch out!http://i569.photobucket.com/albums/ss135/josephgarvon/th_CIMG3287.jpg<embed width=

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

I have to agree 100% with JBL.It has been my experience, like the kyudo shooter, with just enough grip on the bow to aim and point the arrow, the bow will fall forward.Here is a link to me shooting a saluki crim tartar in this fashion. Once you apply this technique to a korean bow.....

Very cool !

Can you do that with a KTB, very long draw, bent draw wrist, low draw elbow ?
(maybe it's only possible when aiming upwards (target at 145m))

Thumbs up

Yes, I think that this can be done with the bent arm. I have been trying to work towards that end.

This technique also allows one to shoot a much stiffer arrow than is prescribed by most.......great recovery time for arrow.

Thumbs up

I noted the twist mentioned above and thought it related to something slightly different...

I have only started learning KTB and have been practicing drawing the bow only (as I am learning at a Jung in Korea).  Yesterday I was moved on to shooting gently shooting an arrow attached to a line - but the hand grip I had been taught was suddenly altered!!! 

(I had written this post earlier but had a class to teach and lost the post - but I decided to take a few photos to try and explain what I meant!)

The initial hand grip I had been taught was pretty straight forward! Place the lower 3 fingers of the bow hand onto the grip (at an angle so that the base of each finger lines up along the grip) and then the thumb and fore-finger are then placed.  I was also instructed to straighten my whole arm all the way to the shoulder and have my elbow rotated inwards for strength (makes it difficult/impossible for the elbow to bend/give way).

I will get to the 'twist' part in a moment - promise!

Here are pics of the initial grip, please excuse the small bottle used as a grip - my bow is in the car: 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7131/7829333206_0d4b14737d_n.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8446/7829331152_3a8daa039b_n.jpg

BUT.... when the arrow was added yesterday the instruction of the grip changed slightly - but ultimately more difficultly.

There was now a slight twist added with increased the canter of the bow, my hand grip was instructed to change slightly too to ensure no rub from the string as it was released, and the twist actually moves the bow as if it is directed 30-45 degrees off to my left.  This made it much more difficult to draw the bow and I really felt confused as to what was going on...

You can see the difference in the pics below - the grip now has the hand leaning backwards but still requires the forearm and elbow to be rotated inwards (to the right for me) and yet the hand is rotating out (left). 

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8444/7828820672_fccec67541_n.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8430/7828815662_a7e14c4be0_n.jpg

I guessed this was the 'twist'.... but then after all this I could still be wrong!

(Oh, and I don't wear my watch during practice!)

Thumbs up

I spent a fair amount of time of my summer break in the States teaching people how to hold the bow, draw the string and release.  Let me try to put it in a nutshell, as much as possible.

First, place the handle diagonally across the palm of your bow hand, with the bottom of the handle digging into the heel of your palm.

Second, wrap your pinky, ring, middle and index fingers around the grip, and then bring the thumb around.

Third, place the string between the thumb and the ring, with the arrow placed on the string just above the thumb ring.

Fourth, wrap your index finger around the tip of your thumb, like you were going to flip a coin. 

Fifth, rotate your draw hand wrist, so that the index finger pushes the arrow shaft into the bow.  Now, the arrow is locked in and won't fall off, even if the bow is canted upside-down.

Sixth, you will "push the high mountain and pull the tiger's tail" (push the bow at the same time you draw the string).  Power should be applied to the bottom of the grip and a bit of torque applied.

Seventh, everything should be straight and inline.  However, there should be about a three-finger space between the string and the inside of your bow arm.  Also, the bow arm should be parallel to the string; it takes practice to be able to do it, but it's important.

Eighth, remember to keep your stance correct: bow-arm foot pointed at the target and draw-arm foot shoulder width apart, about at a 45 degree angle.

Ninth, draw the string straight back, keeping everything straight, and anchor when you feel the back of the arrow point touch your thumb.

Tenth, hold for 3-5 seconds and relax the draw hand.  The torque will rotate the string slightly away from your bow arm; as long as your bow arm is parallel to the bowstring and all other form is correct, there will be no arm slap ("Archer's kiss"). 

I hope it helps.  I'm still a bit jet-lagged, so I might have missed something, but I think that's most of it.

Thumbs up +2

Thomas,

I am interested to know what you think about the technique that is described in the video above?

Thank you,

Joseph

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

Thomas,

I am interested to know what you think about the technique that is described in the video above?

Thank you,

Joseph

It pretty much says the same as I did, although in a slightly different way.  Still, the result is pretty much the same.

Thumbs up

In chinese archery the twisting releases are many. I saw koreans and japanese archers do sometimes almost the same releases as chinese. Generally speaking i don't recommend to try it without a proper training guided by a master.

M.

Thumbs up +1

23 (edited by rfz 2013-11-14 14:01:41)

I will reawaken this thread with some provocation..

At about 4.43, the twisting motion in both bow (twisting starting at full draw and triggers the release) and string hand (turning the hand counter-clock wise/towards the arrow until the string no longer stays on the thumb) is close to kyudo practice, like at Heki Ryu Insai Ha, a variant of shamen style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BymTC-TyOCA

Emulating this twisting release I find that the amount of twist allowed at release (controlled by the rigidity/tension of the the string hand, as the bow hand is twisting/pulling the string out of the string hand grip) is very dependent on stiffness of the bow, or else it will twist in hand and the string will come off. Probably not good for the bow ;-(

Thumbs up

24 (edited by rabia 2014-11-13 04:54:44)

I will reawaken this thread with some provocation..
At about 4.43, the twisting motion in both bow (twisting starting at full draw and triggers the release) and string hand (turning the hand counter-clock wise/towards the arrow until the string no longer stays on the thumb) is close to kyudo practice, like at Heki Ryu Insai Ha, a variant of shamen style. smile  smile  smile

Thumbs up

25 (edited by Pedro C 2016-01-15 10:06:56)

spam^

Giant bump because I don't want to start a new thread.. ..

Probably need little twist, even with a heavier bow, to rotate the bow enough to clear the arrow.

I sort of am trying to follow Gao Ying's teachings now, though I start with bow arm high and don't lean sideways when drawing. Does one really need to push the bow forward(out?) with the bow hand/wrist/fingers pressure at all? Because of how a bow is tillered? This just seems to be to compensate for an unbalanced bow, and can add inconsistency. If the arrow flies straight (ie not pointing up or down, as in bare shaft tuning), it is fine and there is no need to try to balance the bow/bend the top limb more by pushing forward. Although I'm sure archers can be  accurate even if they push forward..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZkrmM5hx4 Seems here that pushing the bow out/down (forward khatra?) totally screws the arrow flight with turkish bow, but rotation can help

Gao Ying advocated against "painting the ground"... which is when the bow falls forward and rotates out.

Master Heon Kim does not seem to push the bow out/down much if at all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpysp0OkGU0

I think only a minimal rotation on release would be fine, plus movement of the bow arm backwards due to back tension. Would it be fine to relax the bow hand, letting it collapse without applying any force with wrist or fingers? "Pushing the high mountain" could be keeping the shoulder down, sort of pushing with the arm to keep it from collapsing and the elbow from bending too much? (but avoiding locking of the elbow) And let back tension take care of moving the bow out of the arrow's way? My guess is that it would be easier to be accurate with a relaxed bow hand, but maybe a little bit of rotation twist from the start of the draw could move the bow out of the way better. Not so sure about applying pressure w/ little finger.. sure that's not for really asymmetric bows? I never saw the bow fall forward in kyudo, it just seems to rotate nearly 360 degrees, probably easier to happen due to its size

guess pressure at the bottom of the handle doesn't necessarily push the bow forward, but twists and helps it rotate?