Topic: Big game hunting, Korean style

Well, here is the first of many posts in my seach for wisdom...
I'm seriously looking at a Hwarang bow for big game hunting, specifically, moose, caribou and bear. Done lots of research and of course have found many conflicting opinions, articles, posts, etc. on things like arrow speed Vs. arrow weight Vs. draw weight Vs. broadhead size Vs. magic potions etc.... there are so many schools of thought it is hard to pick through it all to make a good decision.
So what I've come up with, so far, is that I need a fairly fast bow, around 65#, with medium weight arrows (~400 grn) and a good fixed blade broadhead. (I like Muzzys and Slick Tricks)
Ranges for bowhunting are generally around 40 yd tops, at least, thats always been my range... but I've only hunted small game- rabbits and ptarmigan etc. I feel that 40 yards is the absolute farthest I'd want to shoot big game at.
I'd love to hear what some other members think about this subject... as far as I can tell, not many people hunt bigger game with this kind of equipment, but I'm sure there is enough experience on this forum with it that we can come up with some good ideas... call it an experiment... I don't want to go out underpowered, but I'm not a big fan of overkill, either. I'm not about to go get a 100# bow if I can safely and effectively hunt with a lighter one.
I would like to hear from anyone with experience taking deer or any other big game with this type of bow, or with hunting experience with other bows and shooting experience with Hwarang bows, for comparison.
I am trying at all costs to avoid a compound bow, I've only handled one a few times and didn't like it at all. I also want to stay away from the longer standard recurves and longbows if I can help it... (not asking for much, am I?)

Thanks in advance for any an all input!
Dan

Thumbs up

Re: Big game hunting, Korean style

Dan,

For Hwarang bows (SMG or YMG brands), please check out this thread: http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=232  A 70# medium-size Hwarang packs a lot of energy if you have a 33" draw.

Thumbs up

Dan,

Even the KTB is more than sufficient to hunt small games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2U_ZszNQLo  Randy only draws to 26" in the video.

Check out: http://www.kayaarchery.com/magazine/kay … atalog.pdf   Go to page 9 and you will see the KTB's draw force curve.  The 60# KTB can really spit out an arrow if you draw it to 33".

Thumbs up

Hi WarBow
Thanks for the links... I actually just watched that video before coming back to this thread! That looks like plenty of power for such a small bow. I also saw his video with the Shadow Ridge Sitka Horsebow which looks like it didn't quite penetrate as good, but its hard to really tell. He says his draw length is 26

Thumbs up

What draw weight are you comfortable with. You wouldn't need a lot of weight for deer sized game and the same bow could double for small game. Personally, I would be good with a 45 to 50 pound bow ( not taking into consideration all the other variables [ arrow weight, broadheads/weight, shot placement, etc., etc., etc.])  I have NO experience with Big Game and have taken only deer and small game, but I've been shooting/hunting for most of my 67 years and have hung around archery/hunting sites, literature, bowmaking, arrow making,etc.,
so I may be able to throw in some presonal viewpoints from time to time, FWIW.  smile

Thumbs up

1187shooter wrote:

Hi WarBow
Thanks for the links... I actually just watched that video before coming back to this thread! That looks like plenty of power for such a small bow. I also saw his video with the Shadow Ridge Sitka Horsebow which looks like it didn't quite penetrate as good, but its hard to really tell. He says his draw length is 26

Others on here will tell you,that these bows don't really start to shine untill you get to and beyond 30' of draw length, which will require you to adopt an extended  (Korean) draw style.
   What is your current draw length?   neutral
                                                            Will

Thumbs up

7 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-09 05:34:32)

Will, thanks for the input... I'm thinking of two bows, actually, one with a 45-50# draw weight for practice and small game, and one with 60-70# draw weight for the big critters. Based on the performance of the 50# KTB in Rattlin' Randy's video, I'm thinking that 60-65# with the correct arrow/head combination should be more than sufficient. Chris from Spitfire Horsebows has an article on his website describing a quartering away shot at a running 225 lb buck at 48 yards. It was a clean pass through with a 33lb horsebow similar in design to a Korean bow, and lightweight carbon arrows. That is quite encouraging... I don't plan to hunt at that kind of distance, unless its coyote or something like that.

My current draw length is around 28.5, so I imagine with a Korean I'd be pulling around 31-33"?

Thumbs up

I use my Hwarang for hunting and have taken squirrels and rabbits with the bow no problem.  I plan on going hog hunting with it as well.  The nice thing about these bows is the performance is excellent plus the small size allows for any style of hunting.

Thumbs up

You really have to aim right to hunt wild hogs.  The sweet spot is very difficult to hit.  Will you attempt on a tree stand or in a blind?  What broadheads and shaft material will you use?

jbl wrote:

I use my Hwarang for hunting and have taken squirrels and rabbits with the bow no problem.  I plan on going hog hunting with it as well.  The nice thing about these bows is the performance is excellent plus the small size allows for any style of hunting.

Thumbs up

10 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-11 01:51:34)

Jbl... what is your draw weight?  And I second WarBow's question.... what arrows and points are you planning on using?

Thumbs up

11 (edited by WarBow 2012-02-11 19:51:28)

We really need someone to harvest a huge 400 pounds wild boar with a 70# SMG or YMG and catch the whole thing on video  big_smile

Thumbs up

Dan,
At 30 yds my 50# KTB will put a 450grain arrow with a broadhead through a fresh bale of straw and bury it in the wood pile behind, I have no hesitation taking it out for elk, and would have non using it on caribou or moose, bear, well I tend to favor the .375 H&H

Thumbs up

zdogk9 wrote:

Dan,
At 30 yds my 50# KTB will put a 450grain arrow with a broadhead through a fresh bale of straw and bury it in the wood pile behind, I have no hesitation taking it out for elk, and would have non using it on caribou or moose, bear, well I tend to favor the .375 H&H

I'm a fan of the 375 H&H myself, but lean towards the 45-70 these days. Nothing like 400+ grains of hard cast lead to put the big critters in their place. And the old Marlin lever gun makes for a quick follow up if needed.
This is all exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for... thanks a lot, guys!

Thumbs up

14 (edited by jbl 2012-02-11 02:20:34)

Shooter I like a stiffer arrow but I like the weight of the wood.  It is just a personal choice.  These bows shoot heavy or light arrows equally as well and the blade is going to provide the cutting.  There was an article in the last "Primitive Archer"  that had Mongol arrow heads that were quite large and heavy.  Grant it the bows they were shot from had draw weights over 100lbs.  I am more of a small game hunter so I find a heavier arrow to have more punch on bunnies and bushy tails.

Thumbs up

15 (edited by WarBow 2012-02-11 02:28:18)

BearPaw's Heavy Hunter shafts are nice but they don't come at higher spine than .320 and longer than 32".

Thumbs up

1187shooter wrote:

I'm a fan of the 375 H&H myself, but lean towards the 45-70 these days. Nothing like 400+ grains of hard cast lead to put the big critters in their place. And the old Marlin lever gun makes for a quick follow up if needed.
This is all exactly the kind of feedback I'm looking for... thanks a lot, guys!

I love .45-70s, too.  I have an original 1873 Springfield trapdoor that I enjoy shooting (I shot it a bit while I've been back here in the States).  I handload my shells for it and also .50-45 shells for my Remington rolling block carbine.  I have a .45-70 rolling block barrel that I plan to put on a Remington rolling block model 1 action--that's going to be fun!

Thumbs up

JBL, Stika Spruce + Purple Heart = very heavy hitting arrow.  How many fletches are you looking at?  3?  or 4 for nocking convenience?

Thumbs up

JBL, will you bobtail the entire wood shaft or barrel taper it?

Thumbs up

Warbow-the shaft is barrel tapered.  As far as fletching I am somewhat lazy so I use three with a dimple on the nock, just easier to fletch and easier (cheaper) to buy.  I have some four fletch low profile (1/2" feathers)bamboo arrows I use for some tournaments I shoot at that have targets out to 100 meters and some timed shoots.  I find they fly better over the longer distance.

Thumbs up +1

jbl,

Did you taper barrel your shafts or did someone do it for you?

1/2" feathers?  Is that the height of the fletching?  If it is, the arrow would experience a lot of drag with four fletches.

Thumbs up

Tanged target points for wood shafts:

http://www.archers-review.com/arrows-an … w-fix-tool

jbl, will you use Top Hat's screw on system?

http://www.archers-review.com/arrows-an … hat-points

Thumbs up

WarBow, those look pretty nifty... I especially like the adapters for screw in points. Wish they'd a had those when I was shooting before!

Thumbs up

Warbow that should be 1/4" not half I should engage brain before the fingers. 

The arrows I have with the purple heart are made by Brandywine arrows.  They are a "hybrid" shaft the footing rather than being spliced onto the spruce is secured with a small dowel in the shaft.  I will have to post a picture when I get a chance.  They are very tough.  In fact I have only broken one when I hit a steel rod at a shoot a few years back.

Thumbs up

jbl, I will contact Brandywine.  Do you find the hybrid footing method better than the traditional splicing method?

Thumbs up

25 (edited by jbl 2012-02-13 03:58:54)

Pete-I honestly don't know if there is any difference in performance.  I know they are cheaper and they have the weight up forward.  Now I don't draw the bow as far as you do so I am not sure what the longest length Ross has but he is a great guy with excellent service.  I am actually going to be ordering some target arrows from him this week.  Here is a picture of the arrow.

Post's attachments

joe 008.jpg 954.33 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-02-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up