Re: Big game hunting, Korean style

You might be interested in this alternative also:

www.angelfire.com/biz/Ironwood/woodbows.html           smile

Thumbs up

extendet my draw on 34" and now i get 70#
still need to get a chrono reading to calculate the force

now i only need to live in a land that allows bowhunting

Thumbs up +1

Nice!  Did you use wood shafts to get to have a 34" draw?

Thumbs up

Warbeast wrote:

lots of room up here in Alaska... (made it up today)
come on over!

Thumbs up

1187shooter wrote:
Warbeast wrote:

lots of room up here in Alaska... (made it up today)
come on over!

sound sweet, someday i will visit kanada for sure

@Warbow.
thats the lenght of my easton measuring arrow. my carbons are only 32.5 inches + insert and tip
but as i think about it, i have 70# on 33 inches, couse my blase doenst touch my fingern, hmm

Post's attachments

kaya34inch2.JPG 128.19 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up +1

new tests.
500grain arrow, 32,5" ted nugend + topghat insert + zwickey 135grain 2 blade

206fps = 47.13 ft/lbs energy

should be okay?

Thumbs up

32 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-19 08:46:08)

Warbeast is this out of your 44# @ 28" Windfighter?

Thumbs up

yes

Thumbs up

Warbeast, Canada and the US get plenty of game animals.  US get most of the wild hogs.  Isn't hunting wild hogs a very popular event in Germany?

Thumbs up

yes and no
we do have here more than enough,
but hunting law in germany is way different
you need a hunting license that runs around 4000 us dollars (and 6 month + learning) and then ur just allowed to hunt, but can't on public land,
you either need to rent a place to hunt (>10000 usd a year) or get invited to someones hunt,
bow hunting is forbidden, catrige rifles only

Thumbs up

wow that's pretty costly...
you could move to Alaska for that... wink  big_smile

Thumbs up +1

:-) considered that already, kanada would be my dream place to live,

Thumbs up

Warbeast wrote:

yes and no
we do have here more than enough,
but hunting law in germany is way different
you need a hunting license that runs around 4000 us dollars (and 6 month + learning) and then ur just allowed to hunt, but can't on public land,
you either need to rent a place to hunt (>10000 usd a year) or get invited to someones hunt,
bow hunting is forbidden, catrige rifles only

Does anyone want to say "Praise God for my country, the United States of America" ?   neutral

Thumbs up

Yep, ..........."shot placement" is the name of the game..............and SHARP broadheads.   wink

Thumbs up

40 (edited by WillScarlet 2012-02-22 17:37:32)

1187shooter, are the draw weight regulations considered as to what the bow mfg. states on the bow, or the draw wgt. at your draw length? Technically, a 45# Hwarang drawn to 30" would meet their criteria.   hmm     

Most likely, what the bow has printed on it.

Thumbs up

41 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-23 03:10:37)

WillScarlet wrote:

1187shooter, are the draw weight regulations considered as to what the bow mfg. states on the bow, or the draw wgt. at your draw length? Technically, a 45# Hwarang drawn to 30" would meet their criteria.   hmm     

Most likely, what the bow has printed on it.

I'm guessing it's what the bow has printed on it... I will be checking on that, for sure. If it's what the bow has on the label, I'd see if Thomas can arrange to have 50# at whatever draw length printed on it... otherwise, if they measure it at 28" then a 50# bow it will have to be...

Thumbs up

Update... did a deeper dig into the Fish and Game website and found this:

"bow peak draw weight" means the peak poundage at which the bow is drawn through or held at full draw by the shooter at the shooters draw length.

So, since:

For all BIG game, you may:

NOT hunt big game with a long bow, recurve bow, or compound bow unless the bow is at least:
40 pounds peak draw weight when hunting black-tailed deer, wolf, wolverine, black bear, Dall sheep, and caribou;
50 pounds peak draw weight when hunting mountain goat, moose, elk, brown/grizzly bear, musk ox, and bison;

Then it looks like a 45# bow would do the trick, once I get the hang of the long thumbring draw.

Thumbs up +1

43 (edited by WarBow 2012-02-23 03:23:49)

That sounds great!

A full 32" draw on a 45# KTB will easily be above 50#.  For broadheads, what do you guys recommend for big Alaskan games?  I hear very good reviews for the Silver Flame.  Is a big piece of stainless steel overkill for hunting big games?  They are not cheap.

Thumbs up

Silver Flame by GrizzlyStik? I actually have their website up right now looking at the different heads they offer... I really like the look, and I think it would do just fine.
I know a lot of compound shooters up here like Slick Tricks and Muzzys for big critters, too.
I like the look of the Silver Flames... I will probably try them out. The company sells 'seconds' for cheap, not really good for hunting but excellent for practice, to tune the arrows without shooting up the good sharp points.

Thumbs up

45 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-23 06:38:29)

Here are the Silver Flames as sold by Alaska Bowhunting/GrizzlyStik... basically same as the German Kinetics Silver Flames but I believe made in Korea with Japanese Steel as opposed to Germany with German steel.
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Silver- … s-C58.aspx
Here are some of their other broadheads:
http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/Single- … s-C15.aspx
I really like the idea of those Ashby heads but they are 315 grains by themselves... I'd need a pretty big arrow and I think a lot more than 50# to effectively hunt with those.

Thumbs up

I think the Nomad G4 Bashkir in 80# or above will be able to effectively utilize those 315 grains Ashby or similar broadheads.

Thumbs up

i use zwickey 2 blade broadheads
would love to use the german silver flames
but they are just to expensive for me

Thumbs up

Zwickeys have been around "forever" and have taken a lot of game. Come to think of it, I can't ever remember any complaints about them!   wink

Thumbs up

http://www.keystonecountrystore.com/Zwi … heads.html

Thumbs up

And those prices are  for ..................  12, ............not apiece!!!    lol

Thumbs up