Topic: This Forum

I decided to add traditional firearms to the board, as it is a very related subject.  Feel free to discuss them here.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by 1187shooter 2012-02-12 02:48:47)

Re: This Forum

Absolutely a related topic! Excellent idea.
With this life-changing move coming up I plan to get into blackpowder/muzzleloading as well as get myself back into archery. For the past 15 years or so, I have had no time for any kind of hobby like these... and my kids all want to learn to shoot bows and guns and I'm looking forward to sharing it with them.
As long as I've been hunting and shooting i've never had the opportunity to try blackpowder. Let me rephrase that... I've never TAKEN the opportunity...  roll now I've got my sights set on a .50 cal Hawken percussion rifle kit.

Thumbs up

1187shooter wrote:

Absolutely a related topic! Excellent idea.
With this life-changing move coming up I plan to get into blackpowder/muzzleloading as well as get myself back into archery. For the past 15 years or so, I have had no time for any kind of hobby like these... and my kids all want to learn to shoot bows and guns and I'm looking forward to sharing it with them.
As long as I've been hunting and shooting i've never had the opportunity to try blackpowder. Let me rephrase that... I've never TAKEN the opportunity...  roll now I've got my sights set on a .50 cal Hawken percussion rifle kit.

That's fantastic!  I'm a black powder shooter and I love it.  I shoot both muzzleloading and cartridge black powder firearms.  Just this past fall, I taught Korean officers at the Korea Military Academy how to shoot a matchlock; it was the first time in over a century that a Korean military officer has done so.  It was loads of fun.  While I've been back in the States, I shot a few of my smoke-and-noise makers--especially my flintlock pistol.  I wish I could do this freely back in Korea...

If you need any help getting into the activity, let me know.  I recommend joining the Traditional Muzzleloading Association (http://www.traditionalmuzzleloadingassociation.com/) and perusing their forum--it's the most helpful one out there.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, Thomas. I actually just saw your matchlock video on Youtube quite by accident a couple of hours ago.. that must have been a great experience for all involved!

I'd love to find an old sharps 45-70 or something like that, too. There's just something awesome about the huge cloud of white smoke billowing around after a shot.

I'll definitely check out that website, as well.

Thumbs up

1187shooter wrote:

Thanks for the info, Thomas. I actually just saw your matchlock video on Youtube quite by accident a couple of hours ago.. that must have been a great experience for all involved!

I'd love to find an old sharps 45-70 or something like that, too. There's just something awesome about the huge cloud of white smoke billowing around after a shot.

I'll definitely check out that website, as well.

Yeah, shooting the matchlock at the Academy was a blast (literally!).  The only problem we ran into was a tendency for it to have long hangfires; I think the serpentine (the device that holds the slowmatch) needs to be repositioned more over the primer pan.

Thumbs up

Here's THE rifle I would build , if I had the facilities to do so.

Post's attachments

English Sporting Rifle 001.jpg 120.9 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

If that was a flintlock, I think it would be great, but as a caplock I would personally go with something more period to the American Civil War, such as this .577 cal. Tower, which was a family heirloom (from my mom's great-uncle, who was in the war--she took care of him in his final years).

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/37735_415797677044_625267044_5154460_7121030_n.jpg

Thumbs up

Actually, I have never fired a flintlock. I DO have an almost completed early American period (1700's) Lancaster area
flintlock replica that I have built. Just don't currently have the workshop needed to do so. All it needs is to have the metal
fittings engraved, touch hole installed, barrel browned, and the stock finished.
       The rifle in the photo above is one that I would hunt with, I've always liked the lines of an English Sporting Rifle.
  My once overwhelming enthusiasm for building flintlocks has diminished after loosing my shop.    sad

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Actually, I have never fired a flintlock. I DO have an almost completed early American period (1700's) Lancaster area
flintlock replica that I have built. Just don't currently have the workshop needed to do so. All it needs is to have the metal
fittings engraved, touch hole installed, barrel browned, and the stock finished.
       The rifle in the photo above is one that I would hunt with, I've always liked the lines of an English Sporting Rifle.
  My once overwhelming enthusiasm for building flintlocks has diminished after loosing my shop.    sad

Sorry to hear you lost your shop--what happened?

Thumbs up

Nothing professional or anything, it's just the situation at present, we happen to be living in an apartment. Financially, I don't see that changing anytime soon.   hmm

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Nothing professional or anything, it's just the situation at present, we happen to be living in an apartment. Financially, I don't see that changing anytime soon.   hmm

Ah, I understand.  I generally only get to do "shop stuff" while I'm visiting back here in the States.  My wife has long promised to let me have a workshop back in Korea, but it's never happened--maybe someday!

Thumbs up

Wow thomas, I am glad you made this sub forum! I also shoot traditional black powder and enjoy it very much! Are you able to shoot freely in korea with black powder? I know centerfire arms are heavily controlled, as the only firearms shooting I have done in KOREA are with handguns in Lotteworld basement, shooting .45 acp and .357 magnums for rental. In the states where I preside, well.. HEHE

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

Wow thomas, I am glad you made this sub forum! I also shoot traditional black powder and enjoy it very much! Are you able to shoot freely in korea with black powder? I know centerfire arms are heavily controlled, as the only firearms shooting I have done in KOREA are with handguns in Lotteworld basement, shooting .45 acp and .357 magnums for rental. In the states where I preside, well.. HEHE

Any gas-propelled projectile weapon is heavily restricted in Korea (including airguns).  Getting black powder is exceedingly hard (and expensive--one pound costs about $80); I was able to obtain it, as the Korea Military Academy arranged things ahead of time.  I know how to make black powder (I have done it many times), but commercial grade is generally much better.  With all that said, one of my main aims (pun intended) is to revive muzzleloading in Korea.  Most Koreans I know have little to no idea what black powder muzzleloading is; they group all firearms into a single category and fear them.  I hope to change that perception.

Thumbs up

"-one pound costs about $80)"

Damn I could retire, (or have a real good time) off the contents of my garage

Thumbs up +1