Topic: War of The Arrows on iTunes

Hi Everyone.

The English subtitled version of the Korean film has made it to iTunes and probably other places as well.  The title in North America is War of the Arrows.

The film depicts the Manchu War of 1636.  Naturally enough, the Korean bow plays a very prominent part in the film.

I am sure everyone on this forum who hasn't seen the film yet would enjoy it very much, even if you aren't a fan of subtitled films.

Kanuck

Thumbs up

Re: War of The Arrows on iTunes

I just got my copy the other day from the big internet book store, only $11.98.

Thumbs up

It's a good movie and the shooting technique is more accurate than past Korean movies employing archery.  The reason for that is, from what I understand, trad archers were used as technical advisors for the film.  There are movies of the past that would make a Korean trad archer squirm to watch (I squirmed a lot watching them).

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Kanuck 2012-02-26 04:59:48)

I know what you mean.....watching Mongol was painful!  A good film but very little shooting and all of it very, VERY poorly done.

I did notice that the bow in WOTA was unusually robust...from dog attacks to being used as a climbing ax, it held up with hardly a scratch!  I guess there's a little bit of Hollywood in Korea...;-)

Thumbs up

I was actually surprised at the form of the lead character.  The arrow heads of the Manchu warriors were also relatively accurate.

Thumbs up

I'm in the process of watching it now.  Good arrow through the neck scenes, good head lopping scenes, good get drunk and roll around like high scoolers scene. Good haul the village off to slavery action. It's almost like the director is channeling Tobe Hooper. I'm giving this four paws up! Heck I'm gonna buy the DVD for my very own!! You should too.
Z

Thumbs up

I'm gonna say it's about the best western I've seen!

Thumbs up

zdogk9..........are we being  facetious?  lol  lol

Thumbs up

Will,
I may have been a bit over the top comparing the director to Tobe Hooper. The Head Lopping was entirely too tastefully done. Think about it, Give  the characters Colt 1873s and Winchester '92s instead of swords and bows, put Stetson Silver Bellys on the good guys and Black Resistols on the bad guys, you've got yourself a damned good western movie. I'll rate it fourth, right behind True Grit w/Jeff Bridges, Tombstone, The Seven Samurai, and any of the movies where John Wayne, plays John Wayne.
It is a good movie, good enough to stand up to sub-titles, and good enough to where I'll watch it again.
Bob

Thumbs up

I haven't seen the movie, so I'm not being hyper-critical, but I am curious as to how head-lopping can be tastefully done.
Have you seen The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise? That would be my idea of tastefully done head lopping.

Also, what do you mean by  " where John Wayne, plays John Wayne" ?  I guess I'm simple.   big_smile

Thumbs up

John Wayne, well, he played John Wayne. compare "True Grit" with Jeff Bridges, (who plays Rooster Cogburn), to True Grit where John Wayne plays John Wayne, which he did damned well, as he did in every other movie he was in.. tastefully done head lopping does not show the detached head rolling across the floor, or blood spurting out of the stump.

Thumbs up

Yes, John Wayne was always John Wayne no matter the charactor or setting, so I understand what you're saying there.
"Tastefully done" was the way it was done in The Last Samurai, if you haven't seen it...do.  LOL, my wife closes her eyes every time it looks as though someone's going to loose their head. I don't like the gore myself either.   smile

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Yes, John Wayne was always John Wayne no matter the charactor or setting, so I understand what you're saying there.
"Tastefully done" was the way it was done in The Last Samurai, if you haven't seen it...do.  LOL, my wife closes her eyes every time it looks as though someone's going to loose their head. I don't like the gore myself either.   smile

A note about The Last Samurai--the production company that made it never gave Jaap Koppedrayer, and those helping him, credit for making all the yumi bows in the movie.  Pretty much the same happened with the movie, Alexander, as the bows used in that movie were made by YMG; I arranged for them for Oliver Stone's production company.  YMG never got credit and I saw the bows used even in other movies.

Thumbs up

Did the bowyer(s) for War of The Arrows get credit?

Thumbs up

Kanuck wrote:

Did the bowyer(s) for War of The Arrows get credit?

I just went back through the credits and I didn't see anything particular as far as bowyer credits (although the Manchurian language instructors received screen credit).

Thumbs up

They used to give credits at the beggining of a movie...........I'm glad they're at the END of the movie nowadays, they can be 20 to 30 minutes long, so you would think if they can credit the guys carrying equiptment around they could credit the ones who
provided authentic props!   roll

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

They used to give credits at the beggining of a movie...........I'm glad they're at the END of the movie nowadays, they can be 20 to 30 minutes long, so you would think if they can credit the guys carrying equiptment around they could credit the ones who
provided authentic props!   roll

The armorer said he wouldn't give screen credit to the bowyer, but that he would give him credit in all interviews.  To the best of my knowledge, that never happened, but in one of the movies I later saw the bows in, he gave himself screen credit for them...

Thumbs up

WELL..........................PEOPLE! roll  That's the way they are..........

Thumbs up