Topic: Determining Knock point

Does anybody have a specific way of determining knock point on the Korean bow?

I am trying to get the best flight from this smg as possible, but often am getting an arrow that is erratic in flight.

Perhaps it is the arrow?
Easton Carbon, 125gr field tip, 65-80 spine, and 4 inch feathers. I am drawing the arrow back to 32.5 inches.

The bow is 64@31.

Any ideas?

Maybe this question is in the wrong place?

thanks

Joe

Thumbs up

Re: Determining Knock point

Hold an open hand out in front of you, index finger upmost. Balance the bow by its string over your index finger. Rotate your hand palm up (and towards upper limb) until your little finger touches the string. This is your nocking point.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by raven 2012-04-29 20:20:08)

HuN,
Thank you,
I will give it a try.
That was described well.

Joseph

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

HuN,
Thank you,
I will give it a try.
That was described well.

Joseph

Just remember that it works for an average-sized man's hand.

Thumbs up

Bluelake,
Do you know of a more precise way of determining knock?
I'm relatively close now. The arrow was striking my hand on release, and now it is improving.

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

Bluelake,
Do you know of a more precise way of determining knock?
I'm relatively close now. The arrow was striking my hand on release, and now it is improving.

Probably about the only precise way would be to measure an actual nocking point as to how much it is above horizontal.  I don't have my bow handy right now, but I can do so later.

Thumbs up

Im getting pretty good flight right now. The korean bow does require a normally high nock.

If you get a chance great, but don't stress about it. It would be good info to have on the forum though.

Thumbs up

I took out one of my bows and measured--it was about 1-1/2" above horizontal at the top of the grip.

Thumbs up

As a point of curiosity, how would the arrow fly, if we were to cock the arrow horizontal.  Please assume fletching will be cut hands  big_smile .

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

As a point of curiosity, how would the arrow fly, if we were to cock the arrow horizontal.  Please assume fletching will be cut hands  big_smile .

If you were gripping the handle in the Korean trad method, the angle would be completely wrong.

Thumbs up

My teacher told me to use T-square. Position zero at the arrow pass (middle of the thin leather piece above the grip). The Nocking point will be 1 cm above the arrow pass for weak bows and 2 cm for strong (>#45) bows.
So I think 1-2 cm above the arrow pass or 1.5-2.5 cm above the grip should be ok for you.

I use to got arrow strikes on the left thumb until I improve my gripping technique.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/yellowcrane/IMG_1341.jpg

Thumbs up

sissara wrote:

My teacher told me to use T-square. Position zero at the arrow pass (middle of the thin leather piece above the grip). The Nocking point will be 1 cm above the arrow pass for weak bows and 2 cm for strong (>#45) bows.
So I think 1-2 cm above the arrow pass or 1.5-2.5 cm above the grip should be ok for you.

I use to got arrow strikes on the left thumb until I improve my gripping technique.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/s_issara/yellowcrane/IMG_1341.jpg

That would be a bit low, I think...

Thumbs up

It is my experience that is a bit low too. When I have the knock that low, the arrow strikes the hand causing poor arrow flight.

After applying HUNS technique as a reference, I then made small adjustments to fine tune.

Seems to be flying good.

1.5 inches above grip horizontal is just about where the arrow fly's best for me.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Thumbs up