Topic: Different Brace Heights

Thomas mentions 5.5" as the optimal brace height for Korean bows.  I understand a shorter brace height will invite forearm slapping by the bow string.  Has anyone experimented with a longer brace height like 6.25"?

Thumbs up

Re: Different Brace Heights

I have seen polish guy shooting with „turkished” korean bows. They changed the shape of the handle and shortened dramatically the string. I didnt shot their bows, but for me, used with the slender silhuette of the hwarang, the turkished version looked fat and odd.

I tried myself only with small changes in braceheight, it depend from a bow to another. Some bows had a cleaner pass, some worked better with shorter braceheight. However, I didnt tried braceheight longer than 6”.

Thumbs up

A general rule, is that a shorter brace height will provide better performance, with less accuracy and a potential string slap......and a longer brace height will provide better accuracy, with less performance.

With these little demons one will always have great performance, but to keep accuracy up I keep my brace height at about 5.5-5.75. Shoots well at that.

Thumbs up

This is an observation of the brace height of the different laminated Korean bows:

60# @31" KTB: a tad over 6.5"
70# @28" SMG: a tad under 6"
80# @28" YMG: a tad over 6.5"

Note: I tried to keep the string as untwisted as possible.  I really thought Korean bowyers would try to maintain the 5.5" brace height.  Or am I missing something?

Thumbs up

As a side note, how does your string stretch over time?  Hence the brace height is decreased.

Thumbs up

At what point are you measuring brace height? Those figures of six to six and a half do sound odd.
Measured to the belly, directly above the grip, mine is only slightly over five and a quarter inches. The string would be twisted like a rope to achieve six, even at five and a half the string is over twisted.

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

At what point are you measuring brace height? Those figures of six to six and a half do sound odd.
Measured to the belly, directly above the grip, mine is only slightly over five and a quarter inches. The string would be twisted like a rope to achieve six, even at five and a half the string is over twisted.

Hun,
Is it through experimenting that you came to that brace height? Or was it from the manufacturer? Either way is good, I just at times have used a little higher brace height, like 5.5-5.75 inches, and got very comparable results.......that might be due to the shooter though.  big_smile

I've always like the idea of using as high a brace height as possible, without sacrificing performance too much, so as to become as accurate as possible. In the past it has always been my impression that a little higher brace height provides a little more forgiveness when it comes to accuracy.

Perhaps this is not the best approach when shooting the Korean Traditional?

Joseph

Thumbs up

It was how the bow 'wanted to be'. I did wind it up to five and a half, it was too tight, I could feel the shot for too long.

Thumbs up

9 (edited by WarBow 2012-11-29 22:14:27)

Sorry folks!  I made a mistake in measuring the brace height.  Here are the revised measurements:

60# @31" KTB: a tad under 6"
70# @28" SMG: a tad under 5.5"
80# @28" YMG: a tad under 6"

Thumbs up

Hi!
What is a reliable method of measuring the brace height on a Kaya KTB?
I read a few topics, some people say it should be measured from the center of the grip, others say just above the grip.
Thank you!

Thumbs up