Re: pronged rings

They are all sugakji.  Regarding the indentation on the last, I am not sure.

Thumbs up

27 (edited by benzi 2011-11-13 20:01:50)

hello Thomas,

in one of our german forums, somebody wrote the theory, that the ring can turn and use from two sides. The side with the nose-piece for long time in full draw, and the other side for fast shooting. Do you think that this is possible?

and another question:

the little pieces are put between the ring an the thumb, what kind of material they are from? soft or strong?

http://koreanarchery.org/classic/sugakji%20004.jpg
here the blue one

thanks a lot and kind regards benzi

Thumbs up

benzi wrote:

hello Thomas,

in one of our german forums, somebody wrote the theory, that the ring can turn and use from two sides. The side with the nose-piece for long time in full draw, and the other side for fast shooting. Do you think that this is possible?

and another question:

the little pieces are put between the ring an the thumb, what kind of material they are from? soft or strong?

here the blue one

I've never heard of rings being used like that.

The blue material is foam rubber.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
benzi wrote:

hello Thomas,

and another question:

here the blue one

I've never heard of rings being used like that.

The blue material is foam rubber.

Used for what..............padding, size adjustment.......?

Thumbs up

It's a shim, as the thumb hole is over-sized.

Thumbs up

31 (edited by RDinMT 2012-01-10 03:29:33)

bluelake wrote:
Artemiz wrote:

Well, I just made a thumb tab out of a piece of old leather belt and drew my 64# compound and.....it feels just like I'm stepping on my thumb!  I suppose that's normal until the thumb gets use to the pressure.

As mentioned above, you might want to try boiling it, although some types of leather don't harden well.  Look up Cuir Bouilli on the Internet.  As an example: http://www.jeanturner.co.uk/static-cont … hnique.pdf

One way to harden leather is to soak it for  few seconds in melted bees wax. This goes back centuries when leather was used before steel for armor. The heating causes the leather to go through sort of a polymerization of the cell structure making it very hard.

I use this same procedure to stiffen and waterproof the sheaths for my knives. They become a very dark color and stiff.

I heat up the wax to liquid and hold the heat just before it begins to smoke. Best to use a test piece of leather to see how long you should leave it in before it's too much.

I would think this would work for a thumb tab as mentioned above, with the wax adding to the "slipperyness" of the leather upon release.

Thumbs up

For those who have used the sugakji is there more pressure place on the joint because of the pronge?

Thumbs up

jbl wrote:

For those who have used the sugakji is there more pressure place on the joint because of the pronge?

In my opinion, no.

Thumbs up

You can also try the thumb glove from greatree archery it's basically a 3 finger glove, thumb, fore and middle fingers and extra padding on the thumb, it actually helped me greatly with strengthening my thumb and making for a pain free smooth thumb release shooting. I think a lot of guys had problems because of thumbrings that dont fit. In Korea there usually is a vendor who has tons of rings to try out, here in the us or other countries you are estimating and then you get stuck with a ring that doesn't fit, hurts, and you don't want to use it.

Thumbs up

Just saw this thumb ring in the movie War of the Arrows (see attachment), Is this a Sugaki?. The curved part does not look like it is in contact with the thumb but away from it. When shooting, I guess that the index finger does not cover the thumb but the curved part.

Post's attachments

thumb.jpg 43.04 kb, 1 downloads since 2012-04-06 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

pascallee wrote:

Just saw this thumb ring in the movie War of the Arrows (see attachment), Is this a Sugaki?. The curved part does not look like it is in contact with the thumb but away from it. When shooting, I guess that the index finger does not cover the thumb but the curved part.

Yes, it's a sugakji.

Thumbs up