Topic: Training ?

Been a few months since I posted.

Been getting fit.
Dropped 27.5kg (~60lb) since August last year.
Back in the gym and training hard since july(2012). Mix of weights and cardio/conditioning.

Can anyone suggest some good routines/exercises for strengthing up for archery ?

Been doing quite a bit of kettlebells as well as some powerlifting (squats ,bench and deadlifts).
kettle bell exercises - squats, sumo high pulls ,single and double arm swings, halos, shoulder presses

and quite lot of mobility work.

Just getting a replacement extra firm rumble roller to help massage out knots etc and speed up
recovery after training.

All the fitness training hasn't helped my archery scores but feel a hell of a lot better
and down from a 43 waist to 36.

Thumbs up

Re: Training ?

Holy cow, you will be able to pull a 100# bow in no time or even more!!!

Thumbs up

Not worried so much about pulling the bow but get accuracy up and posting some qualifying scores for target shooting.

Aiming for 50# bow, currently using a 32# target recurve and training with a 45lb recurve (50 draws each arm morning and night).

But do want to make sure I balance up the upper body

This mornings quick workout (cut short as got up late) before heading off to work

3x10 kb halos each direction 12kg
3x30 kb double arm swings 16kg
3x15 kb swing arm swings each arm 16kg
3x15 sumo high pulls 24kg
3x15 one arm press each arm 12kg
3x ab challenge (30 situps ,30 crunches, 30 biking(air cycle) , 30 leg raises, 3 minutes front planking, 1 minute side plank each side)

Thumbs up

Congrats with your progress, you're certainly well on your way and lots of what you are doing makes good sense to me.
Personally I would suggest balance training as well as Pilates or other stability training.
I know - lots of guys think Pilates is for girls - I use Pilates core principles a lot in my daily work as a physiotherapist and both men and women often get surprised how taxing a rather simple looking exercise can be when you focus on the quality of the movement and not just the sheer power.  cool
Yoga may be another good way (among a few others I can think of) to achieve the same, but I have no personal or professional experiences with yoga.

Thumbs up

Not worried so much about pulling the bow but get accuracy up and posting some qualifying scores for target shooting.

Thumbs up

Getting stronger will help your accuracy in the end. The less you have to worry about draw strength the more you can concentrate on target. There is a million different opinions on what one should do for fitness but the fact remains that the only one that works is the one you do.

Alxx I would recommend doing unsupported bent over rows as well. This will help strengthen you lower back and abs as well as the muscles used for drawing a bow.

Thumbs up