Topic: Hwarang Draw length.

I thought that I knew this for sure, but am humble enough to ask before assuming.

Is or was the hwarang ever built with just a 28" draw length in mind?

For example, if one ordered a Hwarang at 50@28 would it be dangerous or detrimental to draw the bow to 32-33 inches?

I know some mediteranean shooter probably would order the Hwarang with a 28 inch draw length in mind. But I was never aware that a bow would be built not to be drawn to the traditional draw lengths?

Thanks,

Joseph

Thumbs up

Re: Hwarang Draw length.

For lower draw weight (70# and below), regular and long length versions can be drawn to 33".  Beyond 70#, the regular length version is limited to 31".

Thumbs up

Hwarang bows rated @28" can be drawn to thumb ring draw length.  However, the draw weight will also increase.

Thumbs up

Thank you Warbow and Bluelake......I was pretty sure. I think some people just assume that what is true of western style recurves or longbows apply to the Korean bow.

Thumbs up

http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm

I found some indications at the link above. For the standard bow version, an arrow up to 81 cm(32 inch) should be ok.

Thumbs up

Thanks Storm.

storm wrote:

http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english.htm

I found some indications at the link above. For the standard bow version, an arrow up to 81 cm(32 inch) should be ok.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by storm 2013-01-26 13:28:26)

I see that the link is not pointing to the right page. Click on Standards to go to the page that indicates bow and arrow lenghts.

Thumbs up

Those are SMG's recommended draw length.  I guess to reduce or avoid bow breakages we should follow SMG's advice.

Storm, do you think the same draw length recommendation applies to YMG bows?

I understand you used to draw lighter Hwarangs to 35" but has stopped doing that.  Was it due to bow breakage issues?

storm wrote:

I see that the link is not pointing to the right page. Click on Standards to go to the page that indicates bow and arrow lenghts.

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

do you think the same draw length recommendation applies to YMG bows?

SMG and YMG draw lengths are pretty much the same.

Thumbs up +1

No, I've never drawn them to 35". I shot for about a year at 34" (notch to base of the point). I reduced draw length for better alignment  since I needed to drop the right elbow to achieve 34".
The bow is marked 49# and at 34" it has almost 70#. Still shoots great and is very stable.

Thumbs up +1

Storm, what kind of alignment issues did you run into when you drew to 34

Thumbs up

In order to accommodate the long draw, I needed to drop the right elbow and straighten the left elbow perfectly. I was putting a lot of stress on my left shoulder and sometimes I was pushing it up or towards the arrow because the left elbow was not strong enough in that straight position.
Also, the lowered right elbow was not allowing the right forearm and the arrow to be in the same plane, which affected the release and more importantly the instinctive shooting ability.

For target shooting at long range this method (very long draw) might work very well, but for fast shooting involving instinctive aiming, moving targets or horseback archery, I found that the shorter draw fits my needs better. The bow doesn't complain either.

Anyway, draw length should be chosen after all other variables are fixed: first choose your front end form, arrow level across the face, arrow to draw hand forearm angle, left wrist position (gripping style), right wrist position (I prefer and recommend a flat wrist), bow angle etc. Then, when all these are fixed, simply measure your draw length.

Thumbs up +1

bluelake wrote:

Hwarang bows rated @28" can be drawn to thumb ring draw length.  However, the draw weight will also increase.

In reading the material on the SMG site it isn't clear at what draw length the the bow's pull weight  is referring to....is it assumed to be the standard 33" draw?

Thumbs up

14 (edited by WarBow 2013-01-30 07:51:38)

The stated draw weight is suppose to happen at 28" draw but often it happens closer to 29".

Gukgung Disciple wrote:
bluelake wrote:

In reading the material on the SMG site it isn't clear at what draw length the the bow's pull weight  is referring to....is it assumed to be the standard 33" draw?

Thumbs up

WarBow wrote:

The draw weight is suppose to happen at 28" draw but often it happens closer to 29".

Gukgung Disciple wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Thank you Warbow, I have had that question for awhile, and I'm glad I finally had some place to get it answered.  smile

Thumbs up

I seem to remember it's the choice of the archer whether the specified weight is measured at 28" or 31".

Thumbs up

~HUN~ wrote:

I seem to remember it's the choice of the archer whether the specified weight is measured at 28" or 31".

But wouldn't the bowyer specify the weight at what draw length...he would need that spec in mind as he makes the bow wouldn't he?

Thumbs up

Mi hwarang in compétition draw  wink

Me vith "KIM"(call name of mi bow  smile )  -/ mi daughter vith flat bow in light green shirt/

http://img.janforman.com/th/jasKimomr0f3.jpg

Friend and organisator of Pacov competition Peter vith mi "KIM"

http://img.janforman.com/th/KimaElev4x5iq.jpg

and front look to our target..

http://img.janforman.com/th/lukac39b.jpg

Thumbs up