Topic: KAYA KTB 60# problem of the alignment of the string

I bought the KTB 60# from thelongbowshop.com in UK. After my first string it, I found there is the issue of the alignment of the string on the top limb.  The bottom limb is ok.

At present, it seems not affect my shooting. Some of my friends says it will be worse and worse. It will damage the bow and maybe will hurt myself in the future.

However, some other person says it is the new design for the KTB and will be easier to aim and shooting.

I also asked my seller thelongbowshop.com, they told me their bow has the same problem but not affect shooting at all.

So, pls confirm it is the defect for the bow making or the new design for the KTB or something else???

Post's attachments

1.JPG 17.12 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by misterwonky 2013-10-20 00:44:28)

Re: KAYA KTB 60# problem of the alignment of the string

a1111318 wrote:

I bought the KTB 60# from thelongbowshop.com in UK. After my first string it, I found there is the issue of the alignment of the string on the top limb.  The bottom limb is ok.

At present, it seems not affect my shooting. Some of my friends says it will be worse and worse. It will damage the bow and maybe will hurt myself in the future.

However, some other person says it is the new design for the KTB and will be easier to aim and shooting.

I also asked my seller thelongbowshop.com, they told me their bow has the same problem but not affect shooting at all.

So, pls confirm it is the defect for the bow making or the new design for the KTB or something else???

1. I wouldn't order from thelongbowshop.com anymore, they don't seem to care about your issue, and are most likely lying to prevent a refund/swap.  I've worked in commissioned retail sales long enough to see through this garbage, and it's sad that companies rely on this deceiving technique :-\.

2. Your limbs are probably torque during draw.... have you lied it down on a flat surface to check the symmetry?  From my experience with this issue, it should start rubbing a lot more on the one bow nock (the bad side).  If it is an issue, I would make them do a refund.

I honestly wouldn't be concerned about it breaking at all from this issue, and would ONLY worry about it making the string miss the rubber pad which will flip the string around (and get your hand pretty good).  This has happened to me with a pvc bow I made, and it wasn't a good time, but it wasn't a catastrophic failure either.  However, if you pay that much for a product at retail, then you should get a capable product that performs as advertised and expected.  Just my $0.02

Anyway, hopefully you get it all figured out and get a refund or it fixed.  Goodluck!

Thumbs up

Thank you so much for your answer, I also need the reply from bluelake and want his answer for this question.

I also contacted with Freddie Won to consult about this problem. He insisted this is no problem if it does not affect shooting. I can all the email from Freddie Won about this issue to everybody. Then you can see what they are doing for this problem.

Thumbs up

I also can show the email reply from thelongbowshop.com in UK.

From The Longbow Shop 2013/8/30

Hi Peter

Does the bow shoot straight? Sometimes the tillering is off but the bow shoots straight. If there is a problem with the bow you will need to send it back to us so I can send it back to the distributor in Europe. You will have to pay for return shipping both ways. I have a slight string misalignment on my KTB but it shoots just fine and has done for 2 years now. These are entry level bows and as such sometimes they have little things that aren't perfect.

Let me know how it shoots

Jason

As they said, this bow is all right if it shoots straight. I also worry about the limb torque  during shooting. It will hurt myself or some other person.

As the emails said, if they swap, they let me pay the deliver fee for both way. As any person knows, this deliver cost will be more then the cost of the bow itself. I am so upset for this after service.

I also attach the image for this limb. It can be fixed or It is no problem.

Post's attachments

4.JPG 14.46 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

5 (edited by storm 2013-10-20 20:41:55)

If when you shoot the arrow is on the right side of the bow (right handed, shooting thumb release), then there might be issues. If the arrow is on the left (right handed, shooting fingers), it should be OK as long as the offset does not get worse.

If there is no visible limb twist (look alongside the limb, the tip should not point left or right) serving the string on the entire loop may help making it follow the center wood "guide". If you are experienced with woodworking, you could add some extra wood on the right side of the guide, to force the string to the right.

If you see any limb twist, maybe this topic can help:
http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 31&p=2

Thumbs up

6 (edited by misterwonky 2013-10-20 22:57:55)

a1111318 wrote:

I also can show the email reply from thelongbowshop.com in UK.

From The Longbow Shop 2013/8/30

Hi Peter

Does the bow shoot straight? Sometimes the tillering is off but the bow shoots straight. If there is a problem with the bow you will need to send it back to us so I can send it back to the distributor in Europe. You will have to pay for return shipping both ways. I have a slight string misalignment on my KTB but it shoots just fine and has done for 2 years now. These are entry level bows and as such sometimes they have little things that aren't perfect.

Let me know how it shoots

Jason

As they said, this bow is all right if it shoots straight. I also worry about the limb torque  during shooting. It will hurt myself or some other person.

As the emails said, if they swap, they let me pay the deliver fee for both way. As any person knows, this deliver cost will be more then the cost of the bow itself. I am so upset for this after service.

I also attach the image for this limb. It can be fixed or It is no problem.

Part 1.2 of their return policy SPECIFICALLY states that they're required to pay the shipping costs for faulty items within their 28 day warranty period.  I'm not sure if it is in warranty period, but if it is out of the 28 days it would make sense why you have to pay the shipping.  Honestly, if it's after the 28 day period, then you're really lucky that they're willing to help at all.  I'm curious as to how this will play out.

Also, as a sales person, I would never claim that something a customer just purchased is "entry level" and full of "flaws".  I suppose different companies act differently, though.  I bet if you were to ask them what they thought a professional or mid-end bow would be, they'd respond with something like "Grozer".

Thumbs up

7 (edited by PhatMan 2013-10-21 06:51:51)

a1111318,
My 55 lb @ 31" Kaya KTB had a similar, but not quite as bad twist in the upper limb.  I twisted the limbs into alignment, and left the bow braced for a couple of days while 'excercising' the bow, then re-aligning the limbs.  This has made the twist less bad.  Some 1000 arrows later, and the twist has not got any worse, and it does not interfere with the shooting of the bow :)
Have fun !
Best regards
Russ

Thumbs up

I do observed cases of minor limb problem like these before. Most of them can be resolved by train the limbs or counter twist. I do not think the twist is intentionally. And I guess that your limb is not twist at un-strung state. That because the limbs of KAYA were machine made. But strung state will need human QC which is currently need some improvement.
The defect could be a hard spot in the wooden core which, some cases, can be resolved. But if the defect is failure spot in wood core or lamination, then you will observe worse and worse twist. In that case you need to put it away.

Thumbs up

I still confuse about bluelake said "Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung". So, it means the problem of the alignment of the string of my KTB should be normal ? Is that true?

Looking forwards to your reply!

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

I still confuse about bluelake said "Korean-market bows are tillered a little to the arrow side of the bow, while the int'l-market bows are center-strung". So, it means the problem of the alignment of the string of my KTB should be normal ? Is that true?

I don't believe Kaya makes Korean-tillered bows; I think all of theirs are supposed to be center-strung (I'd have to ask Freddie).

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

I don't believe Kaya makes Korean-tillered bows; I think all of theirs are supposed to be center-strung (I'd have to ask Freddie).

Thank you bluelake, I am looking forwards to your reply!

Thumbs up

I just got back from a road trip.  I'll see what I can find out soon.

Thumbs up

I am so appreciated your help and looking forwards to your reply! Thank you so much!

Thumbs up

Hello bluelake,

Any feedback from Freddie? Still looking forwards to your reply!

Regards,

Peter

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:

Hello bluelake,

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

I sent him a message and he said he'd get back to me on it, but I'm still waiting.

Thomas

Thumbs up +1

bluelake wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

Hello bluelake,

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

I sent him a message and he said he'd get back to me on it, but I'm still waiting.

Thomas

Thank you Thomas,

I am looking forwards to your answer!

Kind Regards,

Peter

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:
bluelake wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

Hello bluelake,

Regards,

Peter

Peter,

Thomas

Thank you Thomas,

I am looking forwards to your answer!

Kind Regards,

Peter

It really takes so long time to get the answer.

Thank you Thomas. I am still waiting for your reply!

Thumbs up

Unfortunately, I still don't have a response.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Freddie may be too busy to answer you or it may be a big issue for the KAYA KTB, which Freddie does not want to reply.

If it is the second, it will be so upset.  sad

Thumbs up

a1111318 wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Freddie may be too busy to answer you or it may be a big issue for the KAYA KTB, which Freddie does not want to reply.

Most likely the former, as he said he'd reply.  I sent him another message, so we'll see.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
a1111318 wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Most likely the former, as he said he'd reply.  I sent him another message, so we'll see.

Thank you so much. We hope Freddie can give you the reply this time. Otherwise, it will be so upset, not only for me. Also including KAYA/

Thumbs up +1

I have asked many persons about this issue, they believe this is the defect of this bow. Maybe many bow has the same problem. It is the reason for Freddie Won answering.

It may be not the big issue for the shooting. But if it is the big potential safe problem, it is better to let us know before any accident happens.

Thumbs up

I just sent him another e-mail message.  Let's see what I hear.

Thumbs up

Peter,

Freddie will be contacting you directly.

Thomas

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Peter,

Freddie will be contacting you directly.

Thomas

Freddie let me send him the images of the bow. I sent. I also forward to you as well. Pls check your email.

Thank you Thomas!!!

Thumbs up