Re: Anybody use the Hyun mu gung ?

Mule wrote:
a1111318 wrote:

It is one of the reason SMG is more expensive than Kaya and better performance than Kaya as well.

An SMG artificial horn(fibreglass) is $200, carbon $250, horn $330
I see KTBs go for more than that:
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/kaya-ko … w-set.html ($320)
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.a … mp;i=2409X ($295)
And considering how ugly (IMO) the KTB's patterned backing is, the choice is clear.

Where do you get the price for SMG ? Is that correct?

Thumbs up

To be honest, it is hard to find some channel to buy the SMG.

Thumbs up

Those are the prices I got when I called a few months ago. You'll need to call or email them to order.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Those are the prices I got when I called a few months ago. You'll need to call or email them to order.

I sent couple of emails, but seldom to get feedback.  It seems I have to ring them to get the price. They can speak English?

Thumbs up

I do have one Hyunmugung. The unbraced looks similar with other modern materia  korean traditional bows like smg

Thumbs up

31 (edited by geoarcher 2014-05-28 16:37:45)

Thought I'd chime in here as I just got my HMG in today.  As of now, I've owned three of the more prominent synthetic Korean bows: SMG, YMG, and of course now the HMG.  So here's my comparison:

SMG: Actually was the first Korean bow I bought.  I sold it but actually miss it till this day.  I think SMG is a tremendous value for the money plus there's a lot of precision/QC that goes into the end product.  I'd agree with the prior reviews I've read here and ATARN that its probably one of the if not the fastest of the Korean synthetics.  It is not necessarily the most cosmetically pleasing but they do a good enough job with the synthetic covering so its tasteful enough and close enough to the aesthetics of a true horn composite.  The major con I found with it is I don't care for the monofilament wrapping above and below the grips.  I found that it could come apart too easily if one occasionally made shots where the vanes would braze the wrapping.

If SMG would change the wrapping material it would easily be the best out there, particularly when factoring in the low cost of the basic carbon SMG.

YMG: Likewise alot of precision/QC in the final product.  And yes its the most cosmetically close to the horn composites plus the grip is more delicately defined and superior wrapping material is used above and below the grip.  Its very fast like the SMG, though some express the opinion that they found the SMG faster.  I can't say scientifically one way of the other since I have never chronographed  the bows but typically, you buy a bow like the YMG for its finer qualities particularly in the superior materials used and of course the fact that it performs extraordinarily well. 

HMG: After setting the bow up today, I can honestly say its a happy medium to what the SMG and YMG are.  First, the cosmetics are so-so and some precision is lost it seems, particularly with the leather bow nock covering.  The leather doesn't appear as stretched out tightly as it could over the nock and so a bit of it actually sticks out at the tip, not fully flush against the surface.  So it has a rather crumpled look to it.  I also don't care too much for the spiraled patterns on the synthetic covering or the color of the synthetic covering, its somewhat gaudy.  Some assembly is required too for the bow as the grip material comes to you unattached.  You'll have to cut it into appropriately sized strands and wrap it around the grip your self.  I spent the morning doing that and used contact cement for the adhesive.  It turned out rather well, and its not uncommon I know to have to do this for a grip of a Korean bow but nonetheless its an extra layer of work that is required which the SMG and YMG don't. 

Some of the material I'm really pleased with though and actually find it quite exceptional compared to the others.  For instance, good string wrapping is used above and below the grip and at the siyah transition areas.  A very nice piece of what appears to be synthetic leather is placed for you at time of crafting based on whether or not you intend right handed or left handed use.  Its well placed around the side you intend to shoot and very sturdy, well glued etc. 

Regarding performance, both my SMG and YMG were 55 at 31 inches.  I bought the HMG at 45 at 31 so I can't say for sure if its 'stronger'.  Its certainly supple though and even at distances of 30 yards away from the target there really isn't a difference in drop off compared to my heavier YMG or SMG.  Its fast enough for its draw rate as I can honestly say I've had a synthetic Tatar bow at the same draw weight from a rather low grade company that was pathetically sluggish.  So even an average Korean synthetic bow will easily out perform any of the other synthetics on the market, particularly the lower grade companies as I like to think of them.

I'd say its a pretty decent value for its sticker price, but its overall not better then the YMG or even the SMG particularly value wise for the later.  At 280 USD, it comes with string, and grip wrapping material.  At 200 USD, SMG gives you its base carbon bow with two strings and a bow bag and bow sock.  Only aspects of the SMG material are somewhat lesser compared to the HMG but truthfully, you could always purchase some type of leather that's malleable enough and glue it around the monofilament wrapping of the SMG and you'd be just as good to go. cool

Thumbs up +1

First off, thanks for the reviews. Always fun to read stuff like this.

geoarcher wrote:

[SMG] is not necessarily the most cosmetically pleasing but they do a good enough job with the synthetic covering so its tasteful enough and close enough to the aesthetics of a true horn composite.

I'm pretty sure if you ask when ordering they'd be willing to bark wrap their fibreglass and carbon bows for you. They already do it for their horn laminate and it's a $20 option on their bamboo bow.

geoarcher wrote:

superior wrapping material is used above and below the grip.

What is the YMG wrapped with?

geoarcher wrote:

You'll have to cut it into appropriately sized strands and wrap it around the grip your self.  I spent the morning doing that and used contact cement for the adhesive.  It turned out rather well, and its not uncommon I know to have to do this for a grip of a Korean bow but nonetheless its an extra layer of work that is required which the SMG and YMG don't.

I ordered an SMG a few months ago and it came with an oversized foam grip that you're supposed to cut to size and wrap with included stippled rubber grip bands. I chose to make a leather grip instead. It's a bit of work, but I understand why they do it, it lets you customize the grip to your hand.

geoarcher wrote:

A very nice piece of what appears to be synthetic leather is placed for you at time of crafting based on whether or not you intend right handed or left handed use.

I mention this because above you mentioned SMG monofilament getting struck by arrows: the SMG now comes with a leather arrow pass pasted on top of the wire wrapping so your arrows should only make contact with this leather (my bow also came with spares in case you wore this out)

geoarcher wrote:

At 200 USD, SMG gives you its base carbon bow

Last I saw, their carbon bow was $250, the fibreglass is $200

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

First off, thanks for the reviews. Always fun to read stuff like this.

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure if you ask when ordering they'd be willing to bark wrap their fibreglass and carbon bows for you. They already do it for their horn laminate and it's a $20 option on their bamboo bow.

That's good to know but I went with the synthetic material.  My review is aimed to critique that particular aspect. 

What is the YMG wrapped with?

Its threading and doesn't appear as prone to coming undone as the monofilament material.  Also its more traditional looking.

I ordered an SMG a few months ago and it came with an oversized foam grip that you're supposed to cut to size and wrap with included stippled rubber grip bands. I chose to make a leather grip instead. It's a bit of work, but I understand why they do it, it lets you customize the grip to your hand.

I didn't get the rubber grip bands when I ordered mine.  Must have been an oversight.  Regardless, I have rather big hands so I don't really bother with the shaping.

I mention this because above you mentioned SMG monofilament getting struck by arrows: the SMG now comes with a leather arrow pass pasted on top of the wire wrapping so your arrows should only make contact with this leather (my bow also came with spares in case you wore this out)

Mine came with one leather covering as I recall.  But not a spare.  Regardless, the issue is a little more complex then that since sometimes the leather patch will rub off.  HMG actually puts a very sturdy patch on that is well wrapped around.  My SMG wasn't like this.

Last I saw, their carbon bow was $250, the fibreglass is $200

Its been a while since I ordered but regardless 250 vs 280 with all those goodies is still a better value.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Its threading and doesn't appear as prone to coming undone as the monofilament material.  Also its more traditional looking.

geoarcher wrote:

HMG actually puts a very sturdy patch on that is well wrapped around.

Could I bother you for a couple photos?

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Could I bother you for a couple photos?

Funny, I was going to post pictures but didn't think anyone would care but since there is interest:

http://i60.tinypic.com/dnn8s5.jpg

http://i61.tinypic.com/6h6q0j.jpg

The leather actually wraps around which I like.  My SMG didn't.  It was just a small leather patch.  I was shooting with someone who had a KTB and likewise the KTB has a leather piece wrapped all around it.

Thumbs up

How does the HMG feel in terms of lateral stiffness when compared with the other two?

Personally I found SMG bows to be more flexible and respond better to grip torque. I shot with two YMG bows and both were stiffer than all of my 4 SMG bows. I find Kaya KTB to be stiffer also. I know a stiffer bow is less sensitive to grip torque and should be more forgiving, but still I prefer the SMG flexibility and the way it throws the bow sideways.

Thumbs up

37 (edited by geoarcher 2014-11-02 16:07:03)

storm wrote:

How does the HMG feel in terms of lateral stiffness when compared with the other two?

Personally I found SMG bows to be more flexible and respond better to grip torque. I shot with two YMG bows and both were stiffer than all of my 4 SMG bows. I find Kaya KTB to be stiffer also. I know a stiffer bow is less sensitive to grip torque and should be more forgiving, but still I prefer the SMG flexibility and the way it throws the bow sideways.

Well, I kinda differ here in opinion.  I actually felt the SMG had the most stiffness of all.  I've owned two YMG's and they feel significantly less stiff or more supple if you will.  That being said, I remember the SMG devastating a target I had like no other and shooting arrows out like rockets.  Perhaps better than its 'peers' so to speak. 

The other issue here is that my HMG is 10 pounds less then my YMG and SMG.  So its like pulling noodles to me.  Quite honestly the bow reminds me a lot in overall feel and look to the KTB.  But to accurately assess your question, I'd have to have bought the bow at a similar draw weight.   hmm

Thumbs up

I found HMG has shallower tip angle, compared with SMG.
Kaya 's tip angle 's similar with that of HMG.

Thumbs up

I choose SMG 60# Carbon at last to instead of my Kaya. They are the same poundage but quite different. SMG is very stiff. So it  is very very powerful. In my club, I never shoot thought the target with my Kaya before. But SMG does. I also use scale to measure these two bows. Kaya is from 20# @ to 60#@31''. But SMG is from 40# to 60#@31''.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Here are some photos of one unstrung
http://cluster1.cafe.daum.net/_c21_/bbs … 3&re=1

sorry for digging that deep in the forum !
How is the string tied on that second pic ? There's a close-up on the loop that intrigues me.

Thumbs up

It's a traditional bow knot, the middle/long section of the string is like an endless loop, and the string loops are tied on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-qcJGdZRUc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aEWoRC3F0E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmdXvLmWN70

Thumbs up

42 (edited by fabrice 2015-05-18 21:07:46)

thanks a lot ! Do you know what kind of material is the loop rope made of ?
And what is the purpose of that technique ? My guess would be that loops tend to weary faster than the rest of the string, it might be then easier to replace only the loops.

Thumbs up

They just use modern bowstring material.

You can change the length of the string by adjusting the knots, if you adjust for brace height by putting too many twists into the string, the twist can end up twisting the bow

Thumbs up