Topic: Bow tilt?

Hey, i've been shooting alot lately. Some thing I notice the koreans doing is tilting their bow to the right when they shoot, some times a little and some times alot depending on the shooter. I've been playing around with it and i just can't seem to get any accuracy when i tilt. The arrow seems to jump off to the right if i don't shoot vertically. Can any one explain this?

Thumbs up

Re: Bow tilt?

Yes, many Koreans will cant the bow towards the arrow side; I do it a little, too.  It is done in combination with a slight dip in the bow and string rotation out upon release.  If done correctly, the arrow leaves the bow cleanly with no deflection (jumping to one side).  Many other factors have to be worked on, too, such as grip, stance, space between string and arm, etc. (form).  With all that said, my personal opinion is if something works for someone, they should continue doing it.

Thumbs up

Look at how the modern olympic and compund archers hold their wrist. Because of the grip design of olympic and compound bows, they can have the wrist at a 45 degree angle to the ground and still keep the bow vertical. They do this because that is the natural and strongest position of the wrist in relation to the forearm. With a korean bow, if you keep the wrist in the same position, the bow will be tilted. The amout of tilt depends on how much you can comfortably rotate your elbow, without loosing strength. You should try to find the most comfortable postion of your elbow, forearm and wrist.
I can personally draw stronger bows by using this tilt technique.

Thumbs up

storm wrote:

Look at how the modern olympic and compund archers hold their wrist. Because of the grip design of olympic and compound bows, they can have the wrist at a 45 degree angle to the ground and still keep the bow vertical. They do this because that is the natural and strongest position of the wrist in relation to the forearm. With a korean bow, if you keep the wrist in the same position, the bow will be tilted. The amout of tilt depends on how much you can comfortably rotate your elbow, without loosing strength. You should try to find the most comfortable postion of your elbow, forearm and wrist.

Your arguments for tilting the bow are sound and i'd like my technique be as orthodox as it can, i'm just a bit unsure what exactly i need to do to get a clean shot. When Bluelake says dip in the bow and string twist. From what i've seen i think they have a bit of what i'd call a counter twerk going on, that is keeping the bow in line and pulling the string a bit out to the right from the bow? i know bluelake has said that alot of bows in korea are strung so they are right of the center of the bow. Maybe we are talking about the same thing.  I'm not sure if that is right.

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:
storm wrote:

Your arguments for tilting the bow are sound and i'd like my technique be as orthodox as it can, i'm just a bit unsure what exactly i need to do to get a clean shot. When Bluelake says dip in the bow and string twist. From what i've seen i think they have a bit of what i'd call a counter twerk going on, that is keeping the bow in line and pulling the string a bit out to the right from the bow? i know bluelake has said that alot of bows in korea are strung so they are right of the center of the bow. Maybe we are talking about the same thing.  I'm not sure if that is right.

Not really so much "string twist" as rotation (the bow--and string--will rotate slightly).

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Dingo wrote:
storm wrote:

Not really so much "string twist" as rotation (the bow--and string--will rotate slightly).

I stil have no idea what you mean, maybe you could make a quick drawing or some form of visual representation. Would be much appreciated.

Thumbs up

There are lots of you tube videos showing how to shoot a Korean bow. Find as many as you can. They will explain the twist and or rotation with video and verbal explanation.

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Dingo wrote:

I stil have no idea what you mean, maybe you could make a quick drawing or some form of visual representation. Would be much appreciated.

Unfortunately, as an artist, I'd make a good butcher... (not much talent).  Sometime, I'll try to maybe take some photos to illustrate my point, but I've got a lot on my plate right now.  In the meantime, WillScarlett's suggestion is a good one.

Thumbs up