1 (edited by Kublaicarl 2014-04-05 10:09:26)

Topic: Surprised

I have been learning the Thumbring technique for a little while now, and have only ever used this style with my Grozer Avar.  However last night I decided to try it using a conventional 60 inch centre cut field recurve, for a right handed archer.  This obviously means the arrow would be on the left hand side of the bow.  To my surprise the arrows fly true without any pitch or yaw, and without striking the bow!! to me there is absolutely no difference to my normal loose which is Flemish (two fingers).  Could someone please explain why this should be the case, as I always thought the arrow has to be on the opposite side for a right handed archer using a thumb draw?  I am going to try it with the arrow on the left with my Avar bow to see what happens.
Addendum: There is a slight difference in aim point, the arrows were hitting slightly high and left, which I corrected by canting the bow to the Right a little.  I'm not sure if the way I grip my bow has any bearing on this, I tend to only use my Thumb and forefinger to hold the bow, with them being quite loose, the other fingers barely holding the bow at all. At full draw the bow locks into the pocket just in front of my Thumb.

Thumbs up

Re: Surprised

I know very little about thumb ring draw, but I believe the arrow is held against the left side of the bow (right handed shooter) by the pressure of the forefinger, of the draw hand, to the side of the arrow. If you're anchoring low (beneath the arrow) on the left hand side of the bow there is probably no pressure from your forefinger except upward against the arrow, or maybe none at all, which would account for the results you're experiencing. I have often wondered about this myself, having yet to even try shooting the thumb ring. I wouldn't think it has anything to do with how you are holding/griping the bow. This is just my theory and two cents' worth. LOL      Will   cool

Thumbs up

In most styles of thumb ring archery (Mongolians tend to do it oppositely), the arrow will be on the side of your draw hand (right hand/right side, left hand/left side).

Thumbs up

I have seen a few clips on Youtube where Mongolians are shooting with the arrow on the left hand side of the bow, whilst using a Thumb ring right handed.

Thumbs up

Kublaicarl wrote:

I have seen a few clips on Youtube where Mongolians are shooting with the arrow on the left hand side of the bow, whilst using a Thumb ring right handed.

Yup, they are the exception.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Kublaicarl wrote:

So it IS possible to use a thumb ring that way?    neutral

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Kublaicarl wrote:

So it IS possible to use a thumb ring that way?    neutral

It's possible, but just not the easiest way for most.

Thumbs up

The only difference when shooting with the arrow on the left hand side of the bow to me is the forefinger that goes over your thumb.  With the arrow on the right hand side the forefinger can be used to hold the arrow onto the bow so the bow can be canted without the arrow falling away from the bow.  If you put too much pressure on the arrow with your forefinger when shooting from the left hand side, you will push the arrow away from the bow ruining the shot.  If you draw smoothly, without twisting the string then there isn't a problem.
It is interesting that some Mongol archers shoot this way, does anyone have any information as to why they should do this when the majority of Asiatic archers follow the convention of arrows on the Right hand side of the bow?

Thumbs up

Kublaicarl wrote:

The only difference when shooting with the arrow on the left hand side of the bow to me is the forefinger that goes over your thumb.  With the arrow on the right hand side the forefinger can be used to hold the arrow onto the bow so the bow can be canted without the arrow falling away from the bow.  If you put too much pressure on the arrow with your forefinger when shooting from the left hand side, you will push the arrow away from the bow ruining the shot.  If you draw smoothly, without twisting the string then there isn't a problem.
It is interesting that some Mongol archers shoot this way, does anyone have any information as to why they should do this when the majority of Asiatic archers follow the convention of arrows on the Right hand side of the bow?

Probably ignorance. Their bows are not nearly as what Mongolian bows used to be, the current bows made there are clunky Manchurian bows with short ears (which defeats the purpose of the design). So it makes sense they also don't keep to tradition by shooting thumbrings as they used to.

Thumbs up