Topic: Bow string - Windfighter

Hi guys, some time ago I've bought a Windfighter 55# and after shooting few hundreds of arrows bowstring comes around a bow. My friend who also shoot a windfighter( but a bit weaker, 45#), told me that I have a problem with my bowstring, it seems its too long for this bow,47 inches and strung bow also have 47 inches tip to tip, and that gives me 4 3/4 inch of brace height which should be 5,5 to 6 inches. I've tried to twist a bowstring few times but that way i only got 5 inches of bh and bowstring on a tips of siyahs were twisted to much... Is there any way to shorten it(that i can do at home) or i have to buy new one?
Before anyone asks, when I've bought this bow it was inside a unopened original cardboard box from kaya, so I think it was misplaced(if I'm right) on a company, not at seller...

Thumbs up

Re: Bow string - Windfighter

If your' string is THAT much too long it may well have some broken strands or it's material is such that stretches like crazy. Either way string should be replaced with a better quality string that won't stretch so much. Check your brace height EACH time you string your bow. cool

Thumbs up

Thanks Will smile I've ordered a new one, it should be ready this weekend. Old one was made from a ff string so it shouldn't stretch at all... It didn't have any broken strands, im checking that from time to time. When i was ordering new string I've let a shopkeeper check it and he said that beside being too long its allright...

Thumbs up

Odd that your bow had too long a string to start with .................... factory error?  sad

Thumbs up

Thats a only thing that comes to my mind. Kaya trad bows are available in different lengths maybe that's why they're mistook them...

Thumbs up

Hi!
Is there a way to shorten the string length, besides twisting?
I understand that twisting too much the string may cause the limbs to twist also.
Can there be knots tied along the bow string?
Thank you!

Thumbs up

I would never do so.
Assuming you speak about a Windfighter as well (your revived a quite old thread ...), how much brace height yo have ?

Those traditional bows use to have much less brace height than modern recurves, which might be confusing at the beginning. And yes, that increases the tendency for string slap when shooting mediterranean style ...

Thumbs up

Hi ragnar and thank you for the response!

I am trying at the moment to find an "official", correct way of determining the brace height.
I don't know if should measure from the center of the grip or just above the grip.
I see both methods mentioned on this forum.

The bow is a Kaya KTB.

Thumbs up

According to http://world-of-archery.com:

The Brace Height is the distance between the deepest point in the Grip and the Bowstring.

Not sure if FreddieArchery/Kaya states a different way.
I usually measure from the deepest point of the handle where the arrow passes. Not that it makes much difference for Kaya bows.

However, 4,75 inches seems too small, about 6 -6,5" would be normal.
Kaya bows come in different sizes, 48", 50" and 53" AFAIK, while the Windfighter is available in 50" only here.
I guess you got a wrong string by mistake. Don't you have a dealer dealer you can ask ?

Thumbs up

For comparison - the brace height of my Windfighter and my "Forever Carbon" (White Feather, supposedly the same bowyer, FreddieArchery) is 5.7 inches and 5.9 inches, respectively.
I would get the string replaced.

Thumbs up

11 (edited by Pedro C 2017-09-15 19:30:08)

ragnar wrote:

For comparison - the brace height of my Windfighter and my "Forever Carbon" (White Feather, supposedly the same bowyer, FreddieArchery) is 5.7 inches and 5.9 inches, respectively.
I would get the string replaced.

The Windfighter is Kaya. I'm pretty sure Freddie just sells rebranded hyunmugung (the Nomad line?), songmugung and taegeuk bows, as well as the hornbow. might be wrong about hyunmugung..