Topic: Training

I was just wondering for those who have been trained in Korea by a master; how many days a week do you shoot as a beginner?  I was also wondering if you could "walk" us through the process from day one until you are allowed on the range to shoot at the target.

Thumbs up

Re: Training

My experience was very atypical, so it should not be considered usual.  I first learned Korean trad archery twenty-two years ago, and was taught by a Korean master archer.  I was "fast-tracked", so I did not go through the lengthy process most must do nowadays.  For about a week, I just drew the bow back, held it in place for five seconds, and then slowly let up on it; this is something I did daily at the club for about an hour each day.  After that, I spent a couple weeks on a tethered arrow.  Finally, I was able to shoot a "live" arrow.  So, it was in less than a month from beginner to shooter. 

Soon after, I made my first hit, which was cause for a celebration (Korean archers love to celebrate).  Of course, I had to buy the drinks.  Then came hitting the target 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, and finally 5/5 (molgi).  I joined in January 1993 and had my first molgi on March 25, 1993.  I was given a ceremony at the next club meeting (the club paid for it--huge and elaborate).  I received my "muho" (archery nickname) of "Cheongho" (Bluelake) and my name was added to the books as the 53rd "jeopjang" (veteran archer).  Since then, that club has added well over one hundred more jeopjang to its ranks; I am one of the most senior (even though I am no longer active in that club due to living in other cities).

That's about it...

Thumbs up

Re: Training

Thank you for sharing I was just curious on how the training progressed.

Thumbs up