1 (edited by geoarcher 2015-03-25 12:32:53)

Topic: Ji-sa

I came across the term 'Ji-sa' recently which apparently refers to shoot slowly to build proper "Man-jak",full draw form.

I see a few videos of this here and there on youtube and I must say its very fascinating.  Not to mention a feat that possesses some serious art-like qualities.  I believe this Korean archer is practicing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oUuAZ … KHok_HVF4g

It would be interesting to see literature that discusses this more in the near future. wink

Thumbs up

Re: Ji-sa

geoarcher wrote:

I came across the term 'Ji-sa' recently which apparently refers to shoot slowly to build proper "Man-jak",full draw form.

I see a few videos of this here and there on youtube and I must say its very fascinating.  Not to mention a feat that possesses some serious art-like qualities.  I believe this Korean archer is practicing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8oUuAZ … KHok_HVF4g

It would be interesting to see literature that discusses this more in the near future. wink

Yes, manjak (만작(滿酌)) refers to a full draw.  Jisa 지사(持射) mainly refers to the amount of time to hold at full draw before release.  However, there is also a similar thought in that the draw should be slow and smooth (reflected in the precept "Push the high mountain while pulling the tiger's tail").

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

Yes, manjak (만작(滿酌)) refers to a full draw.  Jisa 지사(持射) mainly refers to the amount of time to hold at full draw before release.  However, there is also a similar thought in that the draw should be slow and smooth (reflected in the precept "Push the high mountain while pulling the tiger's tail").

Yes and its interesting too when I see the different shooting approaches on youtube.  Quite a few will do just a quick draw and release but the archer in the video is just so perfect.  A real display of mastery.  Totally calm and not strained looking as the process culminates into his 'snapping' release.  I've been trying to emulate this myself to as much of a tee as I can and record.  Often times when I play back the material, I realize the importance of good proprioception more than ever.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Yes and its interesting too when I see the different shooting approaches on youtube.  Quite a few will do just a quick draw and release but the archer in the video is just so perfect.  A real display of mastery.  Totally calm and not strained looking as the process culminates into his 'snapping' release.  I've been trying to emulate this myself to as much of a tee as I can and record.  Often times when I play back the material, I realize the importance of good proprioception more than ever.

However, I feel he draws too quickly--my teacher would have had a fit if I had done that.  Everything needs to be smooth, with a 3-6 second hold before release.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

However, I feel he draws too quickly--my teacher would have had a fit if I had done that.  Everything needs to be smooth, with a 3-6 second hold before release.

Is the variation we see in some of these videos the result of personalizing one's technique or actual different regional traditions?

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Is the variation we see in some of these videos the result of personalizing one's technique or actual different regional traditions?

There are some styles that vary upon even different clubs; for example, at Hwanghakjeong in Seoul, they tend to use what's known as the "onggakji" (온깍지) style, with an open, expressive release where one's draw hand points 180 degrees away from the target upon release.  I have rarely seen it used elsewhere. 

Forms also may be an archer's learned technique or something they developed over time.  Often, they are made up of bad habits that became ingrained.

Thumbs up +1