Topic: Hi, Fabrice there

Sorry for forgetting to introduce myself  before questionning the forum !
I'm Fabrice, 49 from France.
Long ago I practiced kyudo, and still shoot yumi but now without ritual formality, in my backyard.
I also like to draw a recurve and a flatbow to keep in touch with "western style archery".

Recently I bought a kaya ktb and I'm quite pleased with it : The perks of yumi practice without the cumbersome 2m+ bow !  lol (joking, I love my yumi)

Thumbs up

2 (edited by Dingo 2015-05-13 14:45:26)

Re: Hi, Fabrice there

How would you compaire the two , the yumi and the ktb? I've always wanted a yumi but they seem very expensive. Maybe it was just the website I went to.perhaps you could recommend a website or supplier?=)

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:

How would you compaire the two , the yumi and the ktb? I've always wanted a yumi but they seem very expensive. Maybe it was just the website I went to.perhaps you could recommend a website or supplier?=)

I bought mine from asahi : http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/. very smooth communication and prices on all range. You can try with a fiberglass yumi, they are not that expensive.

The thumb draw is quite similar. Japanese use a glove instead of a thumb ring, but the idea stays the same.
Drawing is a bit harder at similar weight with the yumi.
The release on the other hand is very different. The ktb is so easy on the wrist ! yumis are somewhat harsh, with a lot of vibrations.
Those vibrations should be tamed when you master the complete rotation of the bow in your hand. Not that hard to perform, it's more a matter of tensed-relax grip.
look at "tenouchi" on youtube.

Thumbs up

fabrice wrote:
Dingo wrote:

I bought mine from asahi : http://www.asahi-archery.co.jp/. very smooth communication and prices on all range. You can try with a fiberglass yumi, they are not that expensive.

The thumb draw is quite similar. Japanese use a glove instead of a thumb ring, but the idea stays the same.
Drawing is a bit harder at similar weight with the yumi.
The release on the other hand is very different. The ktb is so easy on the wrist ! yumis are somewhat harsh, with a lot of vibrations.
Those vibrations should be tamed when you master the complete rotation of the bow in your hand. Not that hard to perform, it's more a matter of tensed-relax grip.
look at "tenouchi" on youtube.

Really interesting comparison. I went to Japan and watched the rigidly stylized shooting at the famous Kyoto temple (near Sanjusangendo). Great, but not something that I could see myself doing. Too stiff, too religious-like. Fascinating to watch though. Now, Korean flight shooting is so much more relaxed, but then it's the product of another culture.

Thumbs up