Topic: SMG laminated horn bow

Hello! I've been shooting with a thumb ring for a while and I'm on the market for a new bow and very interested in small bows such as Korean bows. Currently the Song Mu Gung laminated horn bow has caught my eye. I've seen some pictures of the horn and it looks really nice. Am weighing it against any extra necessary care though. I still have a few questions about that bow and was hoping the people here could answer them.

Does it really need to be stored in a hot box? The site says so but I've heard from people who've shot one for years and never done so without problems. Also, how sensitive is it to moisture?

How far can they be drawn? I currently draw to my ear for about 32 inches but was interested in trying the full-on Korean draw of almost up to the shoulder. Wondering if I could do with the base model or need to request a bigger size (janggung version?)

Does the laminated horn bow come with a real birch bark cover or with the fake plastic bark seen on the artificial horn bow?

Finally, I'm kinda wondering where I can actually order it and have it shipped to Europe. Haven't really found a good place yet, although I suppose I could always try contacting SMG themselves.

Thumbs up

Re: SMG laminated horn bow

Be careful of the airport customs, they can give you a hard time. Maybe paying a little extra to get it from a dealer is easier.

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:

Be careful of the airport customs, they can give you a hard time. Maybe paying a little extra to get it from a dealer is easier.

Would love to be able to do so but so far I have been unable to find anyone in Europe who sells them unfortunately  sad

Thumbs up

First of all I would call the airport customs with the following questions:
A) can I import a bow without a permit from a none e.u. country?
B) how much do I pay for customs?
C) can I import from e.u.?
D) where do I get a permit from?
I always heard/read of bows passing through customs with no problem but I had a deferent personal experience so I give advice accordingly. It's just a phone call.

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:

First of all I would call the airport customs with the following questions:
A) can I import a bow without a permit from a none e.u. country?
B) how much do I pay for customs?
C) can I import from e.u.?
D) where do I get a permit from?
I always heard/read of bows passing through customs with no problem but I had a deferent personal experience so I give advice accordingly. It's just a phone call.

Already know all that, imported from china before.

For information for other euro folks: no permit needed, can import from outside eu but you will have to pay sales tax if the package gets checked (20% on the price)

Thumbs up

From my experience in some countries the bow is considered a weapon and needs special permit from the police to import. Please tell us how you solved it because... you are not the only one thinking of a new bow...  wink

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-08-31 19:20:06)

NickAntz wrote:

From my experience in some countries the bow is considered a weapon and needs special permit from the police to import. Please tell us how you solved it because... you are not the only one thinking of a new bow...  wink

Like I said, here in the Netherlands an unstrung bow isn't counted as a weapon and thus can be imported without any trouble. Strung bows (compounds?) and broadheads/broadhead arrows are forbidden though. I assume the rules are the same for countries inside the Schengen zone. So there was nothing to solve tongue

Source: Mailing Dutch customs about importing my previous bow

Thumbs up

8 (edited by NickAntz 2015-08-31 19:59:53)

In my case in Greece they kept my bow and asked me a lot of paper work, like my club ID and where I had originally purchased my bow from (it was a replacement). After a lot of phone calls, some emails, faxs and about 2 weeks waiting they let it go. It was when I broke my KTB I bought from Athens but I send it directly to KAYA and they send it to my address.

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:

In my case in Greece they kept my bow and asked me a lot of paper work, like my club ID and where I had originally purchased my bow from (it was a replacement). After a lot of phone calls, some emails, faxs and about 2 weeks waiting they let it go. It was when I broke my KTB I bought from Athens but I send it directly to KAYA and they send it to my address.

really?

Hadn't expected the rules to be so different in the Schengen zone. My bow arrived in 5 days from China. Did get intercepted by customs, but that's a bit of luck too: My Xiaomi phone from china did not get intercepted.

Make em send your bow to me and I'll send it your way tongue

Thumbs up

10 (edited by NickAntz 2015-08-31 21:57:45)

Could it have been the employee's mistake? I couldn't speak directly to a customs officer. Maybe I should give them a call.
Some arrows from Finland came here no problem.
Gungdo rule: Never touch an other mans bow.  wink

Thumbs up

11 (edited by Mule 2015-09-01 13:53:58)

Hey grey/elitehamster, nice to see you here too tongue

Greyhamster wrote:

Does the laminated horn bow come with a real birch bark cover or with the fake plastic bark seen on the artificial horn bow?

Real birch bark

Greyhamster wrote:

Finally, I'm kinda wondering where I can actually order it and have it shipped to Europe. Haven't really found a good place yet, although I suppose I could always try contacting SMG themselves.

I got mine shipped to the Netherlands from SMG themselves, wasn't taxed. When I ordered two years ago, shipping was 39 euros for the bow, premium bag and some arrows

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Hey grey/elitehamster, nice to see you here too tongue

Greyhamster wrote:

Real birch bark

Greyhamster wrote:

I got mine shipped to the Netherlands from SMG themselves, wasn't taxed. When I ordered two years ago, shipping was 39 euros for the bow, premium bag and some arrows

Best place to get info! Shooting anything which isn't an olympic recurve or a modern longbow means no one at my archery club knows anything about it. I also love hearing other people on stuff big_smile But where do I know you from, if I may ask? Muleo from reddit? tongue Awesome to hear of another Dutch person shooting an asiatic recurve!

How did you order from their site? I sent them a mail but haven't recieved anything in return yet. Also couldn't find a place to order from their site and saw no prices. Haven't recieved word yet from the quiver reseller (Mechwar) who is also listed as their Euro contact if I'm not mistaken. I suppose I also need a bit more patience for this.

Thumbs up

I gave them a call (I speak Korean)

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

I gave them a call (I speak Korean)

Guess I'll just wait for a reply. Suppose that will go a bit quicker compared to learning Korean.

Thumbs up

If any of you gentlemen know or find out the artificial horn bow price I 'd be much obliged to be informed of.

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:

If any of you gentlemen know or find out the artificial horn bow price I 'd be much obliged to be informed of.

This site sells the bows and names a price. 200 for artificial horn, 250 for carbon and 350 for laminated horn bow.

I'll get back to you with the prices at SMG's own site as soon as they reply ^.^

Thumbs up

Greyhamster wrote:
NickAntz wrote:

This site sells the bows and names a price. 200 for artificial horn, 250 for carbon and 350 for laminated horn bow.

I'll get back to you with the prices at SMG's own site as soon as they reply ^.^

Thank you!

Thumbs up

Greyhamster wrote:
NickAntz wrote:

SMG prices are the same

Thumbs up

No reply yet from either mechwar or smg D: Seems like I need to look for another bow. I really don't know where else to contact them. Have found only one other place which sells these bows but they ask a 50$ premium which is too much  sad srill hoping I receive word from smg or mechwar soon. Those are some pretty bows big_smile

Thumbs up

So I've been mailing pretty much any mail adress I could find and have mailed them twice regarding SMG bows but received zero replies. It's unfortunate but it appears as if emailing does not work and ordering through the websites isn't possible either. Odd.

Thumbs up

I've noticed these guys have been pretty unresponsive to outside orders for a while.  Have no idea what's up with this either.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

I've noticed these guys have been pretty unresponsive to outside orders for a while.  Have no idea what's up with this either.

I got through today, they responded after quite a few weeks. Don't give up.

Thumbs up

23 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-09-16 18:22:27)

peterhaslund wrote:
geoarcher wrote:

I got through today, they responded after quite a few weeks. Don't give up.

Yesss, me too!

Now to decide what size of a bow to choose. And to ensure I get the right draw weight. The site doesn't specify at what length they measure it. I'm very excited already though ^.^

Thumbs up

Did you guys contact the site directly?

Thumbs up

25 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-09-17 06:07:41)

geoarcher wrote:

Did you guys contact the site directly?

Yeah. Sent them a bunch of emails to the adress listed on their site. You gotta be persistent though because I think I sent about 4 emails, the first one being sent a month ago. I then got a reply yesterday with their orde form and a list of specs and prices.

If you wish I can forward you those files? Saves you an email

Thumbs up