Re: SMG laminated horn bow

Greyhamster wrote:
geoarcher wrote:

Did you guys contact the site directly?

Yeah. Sent them a bunch of emails to the adress listed on their site. You gotta be persistent though because I think I sent about 4 emails, the first one being sent a month ago. I then got a reply yesterday with their orde form and a list of specs and prices.

If you wish I can forward you those files? Saves you an email

Ok sounds good.  Thanks!

Thumbs up

KOREA GUNGSULWON sells the carbon SMG on Ebay.  Same gent that posts as YMJANG007 on YouTube.  Look it up as Korean Archery. smile

Thumbs up

I noticed that Korean GUNGSULWON sells that too however I suspect there is a significant markup with them.  I actually asked them about the Korean SMG Bamboo bow and they had it but the price appeared marked up.

Thumbs up

In their .pdf GungSulWon say that they make only the horn bows/warbows and that they retail other makers' laminated bows without stating which ones'. I don't remember their price tho...

Thumbs up

Your probably right geoarcher!!  Just another option.  I'm shooting the Kaya ktb @ 50lb until I get my form correct and order a Hwarang from Prof. Duvernay.  I would like to see the SMG info also if you could forward it to me Greyhamster!! smile  Thank's for sharing your info folks and have a great weekend!! big_smile

Thumbs up

Here´s some of the files

Post's attachments

Specifications.pdf 89.09 kb, 29 downloads since 2015-09-19 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

The purchase order file

Post's attachments

Purchase Order.pdf 54.66 kb, 34 downloads since 2015-09-19 

Thumbs up

33 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-09-19 23:36:35)

And finally, the order form. These are the three files which I got

Post's attachments

Order Form.docx 33.77 kb, 16 downloads since 2015-09-19 

Thumbs up

34 (edited by geoarcher 2015-09-20 16:13:21)

Thanks Greyhamster.

Its interesting to see the pricing differences.  When I bought their standard carbon bow from them in 2012 it was only 200 dollars.  Now its 250 but all should be keenly aware that the Gunswulwon is selling for 270.  On the other hand it looks like you must send money to SMG via bank wire.  I hate that.

Interestingly enough, when I bought from them in 2012 they refered me to Mechwar and all I had to do was issue a Paypal payment.  Too easy.

Part of why Gunswulwon is marking up is clearly due to the fact that they're using ebay which adds on all those annoying seller fees.  However sometimes bank fees are added on to the final cost for money wires.  I wonder if that's factored into SMG's price?

Still, I'd rather do Paypal via buyer to seller outside of ebay simply due to the fact that I've had money wires go wrong in the past (bank and merchant errors were the culprits).

Thumbs up

Thanks Greyhamster!!

Very interesting info geoarcher.  I could be wrong but I think Korea Quiver is Mechwars site. wink

Thumbs up

36 (edited by geoarcher 2015-09-21 18:08:54)

marc wrote:

Thanks Greyhamster!!

Very interesting info geoarcher.  I could be wrong but I think Korea Quiver is Mechwars site. wink

He was the one SMG would refer people to for a while to get orders rather then they themselves conducting the ordering process.  Not exactly sure if that meant he was their middle man or if he carried the items in his shop but either way he was their designated sales rep for what seemed to be 'outside orders'.  It appears this has ceased to be.

But yes that is his shop.  His standard Korean quiver is also available at Sevenstartrading.com.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:
marc wrote:

Thanks Greyhamster!!

He was the one SMG would refer people to for a while to get orders rather then they themselves conducting the ordering process.  Not exactly sure if that meant he was their middle man or if he carried the items in his shop but either way he was their designated sales rep for what seemed to be 'outside orders'.  It appears this has ceased to be.

He still has the bows for sale on his website but unfortunately he did not respond to my emails either. I see he hasn´t posted on this site since 2012 as well.

Thumbs up

Greyhamster wrote:
geoarcher wrote:
marc wrote:

Thanks Greyhamster!!

He still has the bows for sale on his website but unfortunately he did not respond to my emails either. I see he hasn´t posted on this site since 2012 as well.

Yeah I know.  I wanted to buy some of his other leather craft goods that he makes but that never came to be either even after multiple contacts via email and even FB.

Thumbs up

Good to know who's actually active!! hmm   Thanks geoarcher.

Thumbs up

40 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-09-21 21:15:40)

geoarcher wrote:
Greyhamster wrote:
geoarcher wrote:

Yeah I know.  I wanted to buy some of his other leather craft goods that he makes but that never came to be either even after multiple contacts via email and even FB.

Odd, because he´s still active on FB. Speaking of which, have you seen the white horn bow he posted?
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12047132_1071881922829647_3706185792718447826_n.jpg?oh=c4ca52d04818bf90650c484084859ddc&oe=565E9354
Hnnnngg, do want

Thumbs up

Greyhamster wrote:
geoarcher wrote:
Greyhamster wrote:

Odd, because he´s still active on FB. Speaking of which, have you seen the white horn bow he posted?
https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/12047132_1071881922829647_3706185792718447826_n.jpg?oh=c4ca52d04818bf90650c484084859ddc&oe=565E9354
Hnnnngg, do want

That looks cool.  Yeah unfortunately he kinda ignores requests for archery equipment.  Even on FB.  At least that's what I've come across.

Thumbs up

Me too, sadly. Bad for business. Anyway, put in an order yesterday. May take upwards of one month to get a reply and pay. Why the long waits? Must be Korean (o;

Thumbs up

I was finally able to order a bow. The whole process was agonizingly slow because it would take about 2 working days to get a reply. But hey it worked!

Unfortunately after I transferred the money 2 weeks ago SMG stopped responding. I don't even know if the money has arrived. I sent them 2 emails so far but they've just stopped responding altogether. Last email is from 2 weeks ago telling me he cant check his bank account until the following wednesday because of a holiday. This was last week's wednesday. Starting to feel like I've been scammed. No fun sad

Thumbs up

They look like an old and successful company. Don't worry.

Thumbs up

NickAntz wrote:

They look like an old and successful company. Don't worry.

Hope so. Sent a third email because the third week since payment is Wednesday and still have no reply. Winter competition has started and I'm still stuck with my slow fibreglass bow D: I did finally manage to hit the target at 25 meters though so there is that. Gotta aim at least 30 degrees above the target  lol

Thumbs up

So many SMG models!!! But which is the best one? Which is the most flexible (max draw/bow length)? Which is the fastest? Which is the smoothest?

Thumbs up

47 (edited by Greyhamster 2015-10-31 21:21:55)

So four weeks after paying them SMG finally responded. A week later the bow was sent my way and another week later it arrived at my home. It´s a beautiful thing, a work of art. When strung it´s barely larger than the arrows I use with it. It´s light and well balanced, the grip is sturdy. It´s got a very subtle twist in the limbs meaning that rather than being centre-cut with a shelf it´s off-side limbed, making it a non-ambidextrous bow with less trouble from the archer´s paradox but more visually appearling than a centre-cut bow.
The limbs are the width of my thumb. It´s amazingly thin. The buffalo horn is awesome.
http://i.imgur.com/HR6SfJv.jpg

Unfortunately it´s also 5lbs heavier than what I ordered (Ordered 50 got one marked as 55) and it might be measured at a different distance (they say 31.8 inch) or heavier than that because it´s bloody heavy. I can barely draw it the 28 inches to my mouth, nevermind my usual 32 behind the ear. I actually can´t even shoot it. I can draw it back three times before my arms just blood fail me. It´s about 45+ lbs at 28 inches. I´m naturally quite slender and I´ve been going to the gym and I´m just going to draw and hold the bow for 10 times a day for a week so I´ll manage but this isn´t what I´d expect from such a company.
Album here

In short, I´m rather torn on this thing. On the one hand it´s the most beautiful bow I´ve ever seen by quite some distance (TBF most people at my range shoot compounds, olympic recurves or english longbows) On the other hand the service from SMG has been dogshit. I also can´t actually say anything about the bow´s performance as I don´t think it´s wise for me to shoot it anytime soon. I do expect it to be very fast though with the thin limbs. It will also be very silent with the rubber string stops.

I´m afraid I can´t recommend anyone to buy the bow from SMG. I´d recommend throwing some extra money towards Freddy Wong and getting replied to within a day and hopefully a better attention to bow weight.

Thumbs up

Yeah their customer service is pretty crap but... their product is great... Don't make up your mind until you shoot it. They shoot as good as they look, if the koreanbow.com bows are anything like Kaya KTBs, they don't compare to the SMG

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

Yeah their customer service is pretty crap but... their product is great... Don't make up your mind until you shoot it. They shoot as good as they look, if the koreanbow.com bows are anything like Kaya KTBs, they don't compare to the SMG

Was more referring to the fact that koreanbows sells you the SMG bows on request. In hindsight I should probably have done that.

i´m going to try and shoot it tomorrow!

Thumbs up

50 (edited by Pedro C 2015-11-01 20:27:40)

good luck! Looks beautiful
I want to try doing wide pull-ups and inverted rows to help up my draw weight. It can't be that hard to get used to 5lbs more, right?
would it be necessary to keep it in a heat box at all??

"To maintain optimum level of function of the bow, it is recommended to keep the bow in the heating box once every 5 days."
http://www.smgung.co.kr/2010/english_12_13.htm