Topic: Hello from Norway

Hi everyone, I guess this is actually the appropriate place to introduce myself. New to the world of Korean archery, it's all mind baffling and fun.
I purchased a Khan for an asiatic horsebow with a shelf. My mistake, as I now want to get rid of it. The shelf, not the bow. The Khan is a very sturdy entry level boge, as we say in New Norwegian.
People here in the Western Fjords speak a language evolved from old Norse Viking. Of course, on Iceland where our descendants live, the language doesn't seem to have evolved at all: they just plodder along like a 1000 years ago. They lived on a charming island visited by no one.
My commune hosts 6000 souls, a thousand lakes, a hundred glaciers and a few mountains up to 2000 metres. Give or take. All this revolves around the fjord, 400 metres deep and 4 kms wide. It's breath taking.
Taking aim from fjord level, my 33" bamboo arrows are cast some 100 metres up the mountain side. I put leather silencers on the siyahs and a cork handle. It works great, but I find it difficult to shoot thumb ring style. The khan has a window on the wrong side - I worry about breakage. So far my only incident was an exploding arrow. Khan 50# but I overdrew and bamboo is a natural material.
Anyway, glad I found the forum and hope I might someday repay the invaluable help I already got here.

Thumbs up

Re: Hello from Norway

As far as I understand.   The shelf on the Khan and the thumb release might be a bit tricky.  I've seen some right handed Mongolian archers shoot from the left side of the bow with the thumb release, unlike most of Asia which shoots from the right side of the bow, if right handed.

Thumbs up

It's most likely fine to ignore the shelf and shoot from the right side... I don't think it'd be stressed too differently?
can't do bow torque if shooting from the left side, right

The Khan is designed for finger release and has a shorter max draw length. ...but theoretically I think the max draw of any bow changes depending the release method.

Thumbs up