1 (edited by NickAntz 2015-09-21 07:20:04)

Topic: Fletching jig.

Hello. I am going to stop fletching with my hands...   tongue
I was thinking of a Cartel Midas MXs. Should I fletch them to fly clockwise (right fletching) or left? (Right hand draws /  on the right side of the bow). My old arrows where left helical BUT I had used right wing 3x3". Not the perfect flight. Please enlighten me!!! One other thing... 2315 are a little overspined, if I use 125gr points instead of 80gr and give a little extra length 0,5" and loose some back side of arrow weight, you think they'll fly o.k.?

Thumbs up

Re: Fletching jig.

Right helical or left helical makes no difference as far as which hand you draw with (but be sure all your arrows are the same).  Your statement " My old arrows where left helical BUT I had used right wing 3x3". " is unclear. You don't mean to say you were using right hand feathers wrapped in a left helical ? because THAT would definitely not work!
    As far as your 2315's, only experimentation will tell, but adding weight to the front and overall length will definitely weaken spine weight.

Thumbs up +1

You should try fletching some with 5" or 5 1/2" real feathers.  I feel they are a little more forgiving and the longer the feather the more sturdy the flight pattern.  You loose some speed with the longer fletching so just try out a few different ones till you find what your looking for.  You'll probably start using different arrows for different situations.  I use the EZ fletcher,  it is super easy to use.

Thumbs up +1

4 (edited by marc 2015-09-23 18:15:50)

The Cartel will work fine for you as long as you can index it and get different clamps for it(Left,Right or Straight).  I use straight 4 x 4 fletching on my Kaya same as dziki or a straight 3 fletch like the korean arrows usually are.  For hunting with broadheads I use 5" helicals on my longbows.  I like feather fletching on my arrows although many folks shoot with vanes on their Ktbs.  It really is a matter of finding the combo that works for YOU!!  As WillScarlet said a longer shaft and heavier point will weaken the spine and maybe improve your arrow flight. tongue

Thumbs up +1