26 (edited by Pedro C 2016-01-18 08:09:34)

Re: Taegeuk Horn Bow (Gakgung)

FieroFurry wrote:

Back to the subject the thread is actually about.....
Taegeuk Horn Bow- I really love the fact that they did not cover up the truth and call it a semi horn bow as everything about it is as much a horn bow as one made a thousand years ago-only better!!!
I'm sure most of you just fell out on the floor--haha!  Let me explain, things evolve plain and simple. 
What happens today will be looked at has anctient history a thousand years from now, we only don't see it that way as we live in the moment.
The upgraded version of the horn bow is far superior to the old style sinew-fishbladder glue-hide glue-ect.. and the new synthetic glues actually bond and hold that bond in more extreme conditions and the replacement of sinew with bamboo or carbon cores or whatever the bowyer chooses is going to be more stable and last longer than sinew obviously.
I read a post on here somewhere I think may have been by

Ugh, someone needs to fix that quotes cutting off posts issue already. Unless we want to keep getting interesting posts cut off...

I asked the seller of a 44" (string length?) horn bow and he said it had a smooth draw to 34", while my 53" ("permieter"/contour, ~48.9" string length) Nomad is supposedly rated for safe draw of only up to 33". Which is still really good for its length compared with other bow designs..

Is the Taegeuk any longer than the average Korean horn/sinew bow with the same drawlength?

if it isn't, and if it doesn't take set like a real hornbow such that the stored energy ends up being roughly the same (well, it is still horn in the belly...), then I'll really believe you tongue But the durability is a really good tradeoff and i'm sure it's still a great bow

The stored energy isn't the same because the amount of reflex/preload is different. It doesn't matter what material is on the belly (as long as the material can take the compression from reflexed position to draw).

Real hornbows have far more reflex so store way more energy. But the limbs are heavier so they end up slower than modern laminates. But if you get to higher 60+ draw weights the energy storage overcomes the weight of the limbs and hornbows shoot faster.

Thumbs up

28 (edited by Pedro C 2016-01-21 02:39:19)

Mule wrote:

The stored energy isn't the same because the amount of reflex/preload is different. It doesn't matter what material is on the belly (as long as the material can take the compression from reflexed position to draw).

Real hornbows have far more reflex so store way more energy. But the limbs are heavier so they end up slower than modern laminates. But if you get to higher 60+ draw weights the energy storage overcomes the weight of the limbs and hornbows shoot faster.

For a certain arrow weight/draw weight ratio? Maybe sufficiently reflexed 50lb horn bows are faster for heavier arrows.

I mean, on that other thread I started I noticed how a hornbow took set and lost a lot of its reflex as it was strung (noticable right when it was unstrung), so I was wondering how much more intiial draw weight actual hornbows have when ready to shoot. Thought that maybe horn takes set when it's strung and then recovers from it over time, and since this bow is also horn on the belly it would take set unlike carbon fiber or something. But that horn (and sinew, in this thread: http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/viewtopic.php?id=633 ) bow didn't look as reflexed as others. But a lot more reflexed (in the bracing video) than any non-horn bow I've seen, when unstrung and rested (more of a deep C than an O). Looked like the unbraced Hwarang bow when just unstrung.

Would be interesting to see draw/force curves of sinew/horn bows along with this Taegeuk Gakgung

I don't know exactly, I'd assume the 8-10gpp range though.

I'm getting confused since you're calling the semi-horn and real horn bow both horn bows..

Anyway on real horn-bows, my understanding is that it isn't the horn that's 'taking set', but the sinew on the other side by taking on moisture

Thumbs up

FieroFurry wrote:

Hi,  I just purchased the Taegeuk Horn Bow and awaiting it's arrival tongue
I will be glad to post some info after I get a few.....hundred arrows flung from her  smile

Any updates?  I think that many fellows may be interested in that bow and a review shoud be very informative for many of us...  smile
Thanks,
Tom.

Thumbs up