Topic: Complete Newbie

Hi Guys,  I've never shot a bow before in my life and I'm thinking of picking it up for hunting and want to go the traditional route.  I've read through this forum as well as a few others. I've seen a lot of praise of the Kaya bows for the bang for the buck, but some of the sites are a bit harsh on it for beginner use.  My question is, is this because the Korean bows are so different, i.e. lack of shelf, thumb ring draw, or is it accurate for a beginner to look into a different style of bow such as a Samick if they're new to archery?

Thumbs up

Re: Complete Newbie

You can't go wrong with a Korean bow.  I found them much easier to use then other western style bows.  The thumb release was a revelation once I started shooting that way.  I feel much more connected with the Korean bow.  It will take allot of practice but you will be happy you went with a Korean or Chinese bow.  The Korean bows are small and powerful, which make them great for the bush.  Kaya is a good starting bow in my opinion.

Thumbs up

I didn't want to answer because I don't hunt, but because only morton applied I would like to add that you must be willing to loose one or two seasons before you can learn to shoot it accurately if you want to try the Korean style. This bows reach their full potential only with Korean style shooting. I used to shoot my SKB for years before with Mediterranean and the bow felt weak. Never the less I believe Korean bows are the best there can be.

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2015-10-25 05:07:39)

I have a 53" Nomad KTB from koreanbow.com and I think it's smoother than much longer western recurves since it lacks a huge riser and has stiff tips, and more reflex. A Manchu bow would have a much smoother draw than a Korean bow, and be better for heavy arrows (although awful for light arrows), but a Korean bow of legal hunting draw weight should be more than powerful enough for hunting if you hit the right spot (which you'll have to, anyway). And also, much smaller so more comfortable to carry around.

Bows like the Kaya and Nomad KTB have narrow limbs, while the Samick SKB has wide limbs. I guess narrow limbs are more unstable and unforgiving than wide-limbed ones from what I've heard, but I don't notice it although I've shot both. Perhaps learning with an unforgiving bow is good because you'll know when you're doing something wrong?
This good Olympic archer drew my bow and said "it's so unstable, I can feel the canting". I don't know what that means, really. I think if I had perfect technique and conditioning I could shoot comparably to many of them Olympic style archers with my little unstable, sightless bow, but I really don't, so I struggle to have 9" groups at 20 yards tongue (or even 80" "groups" after I get tired...)

Mayyybe the problems are because they have a loose grip and don't collapse their hand, which doesn't seem to work very well with a Korean bow.

I'm still a beginner and haven't hurt myself much, unlike some people. Just don't screw up too much. Make sure your nock point is high enough. I use thumb draw, too. It feels waay more natural for me than Mediterranean draw on bows without a shelf now.

You should probably start out with a pull of 20lbs or so. I have a 45lbs@31" bow and I struggle with it, so I'm not very accurate.

To save money, you could try making a Bhutanese style bamboo bow (fairly simple) or even a PVC bow. You could check out BackyardBowyer on Youtube or "PVC archery and crafting". You could then build heavier bows, maybe strength training bows, until you can pull 65lbs 80 times at once comfortably, then get something like a 55lbs Hwarang or SMG bow.

Otherwise, I guess I'd recommend a 25-30lb draw weight Nomad KTB as a very first bow, though I think the SMG bows might have a smoother draw although they're more expensive (also carried by koreanbow.com). They should both be more durable than the Samick SKB. I've heard of many Samick SKBs breaking, but barely any Kaya KTBs and the Nomad KTB is similar and cheaper. But it's newer, yet I haven't heard of one breaking yet... At the Korean archery festival, I saw someone dry fire a Kaya KTB two or three times in a row because the arrow slipped off the string (string/serving too thin for the arrow nock), yet it was very surprisingly perfectly fine, apparently. Not sure what the draw weight was, though.

For arrows, you could get Easton jazz arrows online for relatively cheap, or maybe you could try making your own arrows out of bamboo stakes to save money?

It's probably good if you always have the same form. I'm trying to do something like this http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/bds4.html

but with a higher draw hand because my arrows aren't long enough (33") and I'd probably break my bow drawing a little more

I looked at that and thought of drawing to my arrowhead and anchoring at the earlobe, but I hit my face. Maybe there's a way to avoid doing that, but it seems like a good form for me..? I don't know if he's touching the earlobe with the string

Guys thanks so much for your insight and advice.  I can't wait to get one and get on the range, maybe with sound practice, I'll be good enough to hunt with it responsibly next season

Thumbs up