Topic: breaking nocks on release

I have been having an issue with breaking nocks on release.  I have broken 5 or 6 so far and its not good as it has been hard on the bow.   sad

Anyone else have this issue?  I have 5/16 plastic nocks on the shafts right now.  Is there a place that sells thinner strings?  The one I have seems thick and the nocks don't want to slide all the way on which usally isn't a problem but this time it seems like it is breaking them.

Thumbs up

Re: breaking nocks on release

Could you post a picture? with how the string sits in the nock?

If it does not enter all the way that is the problem. At release, the string will push all the way, forcing the nock open. File the inside of the nock until the string fits all the way.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Pedro C 2016-02-07 00:34:14)

Other people who have shot my bows/arrows have broken my nocks. I have never broken any of my nocks. Maybe it's because I tend to make sure they're in all the way, or I don't put too much pressure on the arrow when releasing or... I don't know. Hopefully it's just not putting them in all the way.
Haven't had any breakages with wrapped self nocks either, have just split bamboo arrows with self nocks that had no wrapping.

If you don't use a ring sometimes the leather causes a bad release. I am working on my release because I do that, but I use a ring and aluminum arrows with Easton super nocks so they survive the beating.

Thumbs up

The American knocks never work for the wider Korean strings.  I always have to dremel or file them out before I shoot.  Waxing your string at the knock point helps as well.

Thumbs up

I  took a picture of one of the nocked arrows but it looked like a nocked arrow,  nothing special.  I think the nock that broke was tighter than some of the others.  I think that they need to be filed out. I didn't think of that but makes sense. 

Thanks for the help so far.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Mule 2016-02-08 19:06:17)

SMG strings are double served to make them thick. If you don't like it, take it off and reserve it yourself to fit your nocks.

Thicker strings are better for thumb release though, so best option would be to get 'thumb string' compatible nocks.

Thumbs up

Mule wrote:

SMG strings are double served to make them thick. If you don't like it, take it off and reserve it yourself to fit your nocks.

Thicker strings are better for thumb release though, so best option would be to get 'thumb string' compatible nocks.

I was wondering about that it looked double thick.  Personally I would rather change or modify the nocks thans redo the serving.  Creating a good serving is my bane. It's not hard but I just don't like doing it.

Thumbs up