Topic: shooting in Korea

Has anyone here shot in Korea?  I was wanting to take a trip and was curious how formal it is, or is it like a driving range in the states?  Can you bring your own arrows? Some videos on youtube show some amazing places. Just curious.

Thumbs up

Re: shooting in Korea

Well, as I live here in Korea, it's where I do most of my shooting.  However, I've been having shoulder problems, so I have not been able to shoot recently.

Thumbs up

Do you bring your own arrows in most places?  I see some have automated arrow return systems, is that the norm?  Can anyone just go at any time?  Are you required to know the customs or do you just start shooting as with an America shooting range?  Maybe its different from club to club.  I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Thumbs up

morton509 wrote:

Do you bring your own arrows in most places?  I see some have automated arrow return systems, is that the norm?  Can anyone just go at any time?  Are you required to know the customs or do you just start shooting as with an America shooting range?  Maybe its different from club to club.  I'm trying to get an idea of what to expect.

Members will bring their own equipment (for beginning members, there might be a bow and some arrows to use temporarily).  Unless you are a member of the club (or a different club and just visiting for the day), you generally may not shoot.  Each club has their own rules, but that would generally be the case.  However, if you strike up a friendship with some members of a club, they might let you fling a few (but it would not be usual).

Thumbs up

So, basically as a tourist you won't be able to shoot in Korea, that's disappointing.   Do you by chance know of any clubs that will let strangers shoot?  Good thing I asked.  It would be extra disappointing if I took a trip there and was denied at the clubs doors.  Maybe I won't be traveling to Korea.  The goal of the trip was to shoot at many locations, but that may be impossible given the strict rules.

Thumbs up

morton509 wrote:

So, basically as a tourist you won't be able to shoot in Korea, that's disappointing.   Do you by chance know of any clubs that will let strangers shoot?  Good thing I asked.  It would be extra disappointing if I took a trip there and was denied at the clubs doors.  Maybe I won't be traveling to Korea.  The goal of the trip was to shoot at many locations, but that may be impossible given the strict rules.

What you should do is get in contact with a friend at a club; then, it is most likely possible.  There are guest-friendly clubs, such as Hwanghakjeong in Seoul.  Try asking on the FB group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2698771065/  It's not impossible to do, but if you just show up somewhere, it could be awkward.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info Bluelake, I will look into it.

Thumbs up

Hey Guys,
I'm also considering a trip to Korea. One of my Finnish friends is currently on exchange in Japan and the two of us were thinking about going on a trip to Korea. I'm not so much interested in shooting although that would be cool but I was wondering if there are any walk in stores or custom bow makers that I could buy some new equipment from that you would know of bluelake or anyone? Would there be a much wider range of equipment available then on the net or is that just in my imagination? I'd like to buy new female and male thumb rings that fit me better as well as a better new bow.

Thumbs up

Dingo wrote:

Hey Guys,
I'm also considering a trip to Korea. One of my Finnish friends is currently on exchange in Japan and the two of us were thinking about going on a trip to Korea. I'm not so much interested in shooting although that would be cool but I was wondering if there are any walk in stores or custom bow makers that I could buy some new equipment from that you would know of bluelake or anyone? Would there be a much wider range of equipment available then on the net or is that just in my imagination? I'd like to buy new female and male thumb rings that fit me better as well as a better new bow.

There are not many stores for trad archery.  Probably your best bet would be to visit Freddie Won:

FREDDIE ARCHERY

68-9, JANGANGIL, PYEONGTAEKSHI,

GYEONGGIDO, 17738

SOUTH KOREA

Thumbs up