Topic: delaminated Kaya Wind Fighter

Hello everyone. I recently got interested in traditional archery having no prior archery experience.  I do not like how complicated modern recurve and compound bows are. I recently ordered a 40 pound Kaya Wind Fighter and began practicing drawing and releasing the string slowly under tension. The next day after I received the bow while holding the draw the surface of the top limb delaminated. Please see pictures I posted.  Did I cause this by stringing the bow improperly? It did take me awhile to figure out how to string the bow.

I contacted the seller and they asked me to send them pictures. After that he agreed to send me a new bow. He replied,

"It seems like a string hit the limb curve many times where the part received lot of stress, we're recommend that you should shoot with Korean Traditional Arrows."

I never did dry fire the bow. Did I just get a bad bow or is this indicative of Kaya quality? Also, I'll be using CARBONPRO ROCKET CARBON ARROW 600 spine with the bow, are they suitable for general target shooting?

https://efish11.smugmug.com/Broken-bow/i-k76Z2wV/A

https://efish11.smugmug.com/Broken-bow/i-5jZp4SQ/A

Thumbs up

Re: delaminated Kaya Wind Fighter

I think you just got a bad bow.  It shouldn't matter what kind of arrows you shoot and I dont think the string would cause that kind of damage.  It seems Kaya has had some quality issues lately.  Not sure whats going on with them.  I've had a windfighter for a while and have shot it hundreds of times without any problems.  They should replace it right away in my opinion.  The bow should be strong and able to take some abuse, otherwise whats the point.

Thumbs up

Thank you for your reply. The seller is sending me a new bow and said I can keep the broken bow. Can I patch the delamination by using super glue? If so, would it be dangerous to shoot?

Thumbs up

4 (edited by Pedro C 2016-03-15 09:58:59)

You can always try that, plus wrapping around/through the delamination (maybe tight with nylon thread?) and testing at a tillering tree with eye protection 1/2" beyond your max draw?  tongue Shouldn't be much more dangerous than other defective bows... you'd probably want to wrap other highly stressed parts of the other limb as well, and around the handle. Not sure if that really helps but if anything it should keep pieces from flying around too much. maybe it does help, there should be a good reason it's done with the horn bows

Super glue no. You could use some epoxy made for bows and then wrap it tightly around the whole area. Still, I would say it's not worth the bother and the risk.

Thumbs up

HI
In my opinion Replacement Guarantee if you have guarantees.
If you want to fix it fabric in fiberglass and elastic resin epoxy and mandatory wrap in thread on both limbs ;/

Thumbs up