1 (edited by Pedro C 2016-05-19 06:36:54)

Topic: can korean horn bows match turkish flight bows in flight archery

or outshoot them? In those polish flight records, the kaya and windfighter bows never seem to do very well, sometimes they're outshot by self bows. I wonder if it's because of the arrows used, the technique, draw length, or even the bows themselves (doubt it)...
????????

I always see Turkish bows being praised for flight archery, but not Korean bows, why? Just because Koreans just don't really do flight archery?

Re: can korean horn bows match turkish flight bows in flight archery

Do you have a video link? Hard to imagine a Kaya beat by a selfbow.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by Pedro C 2016-05-19 06:46:27)

nope, just charts posted on the ATARN facebook group...
well made selfbows can have a lot of cast though

http://i.imgur.com/2AJYtXx.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/R5hbUef.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ecVO0V1.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … permPage=1

May be shooting technique or difficulty at getting a light enough arrow for long distances that's still stiff enough with the longer draw length of most Korean bows.. which may perform better at ~8 grains per pound, best for shooting 145 meters without the wind affecting it as much as a lighter arrow?

But then there's overdraws. tong-ah may have more friction than a siper..

also
https://i.imgur.com/evo6VdV.jpg

Thanks for posting the charts. That Monus guy seems to build a quick bow! I think you may be right assuming the disadvantage of the long draw korean bows thus requiring a relatively stiff, long and heavier arrow.

There are guys who build all wood flight bows and shoot them with some tiny 5gpp arrows, no "standard" bow can compete with such setups, arrow speeds are way over 250fps...
Most of them bows have a rather short draw lenght which keeps arrow weight low.

Thumbs up +1

I think part of it is that there are a lot more Turkish bows being used. I only see a few Korean bows.  That may mean that they haven't had the time to find the optimal setup or optimal Korean bow.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Hunterseeker5 2016-06-21 02:52:10)

I have both a Grozer Turkish bow and a Kaya bow. I haven't finished my work, or published the data yet, but both bows are nominally 50#s and at 27" draw they're 1lbs different draw weight. At 27" draw the energy stored (in foot pounds) divided by the poundage held is 1.01 for the grozer and 1.08 for the Kaya meaning the Kaya stores 6% more energy. At 31", full draw in my case, that gap has opened up to 8% in favor of the Kaya. Why a such odd unit analysis, energy stored over poundage held? Two reasons. 1) it levels the playing field, meaning you can now compare bows of vastly different draw weights for energy storage efficiency. 2) Early draw weight is, in essence, "free" because you only feel the weight you're holding at full draw.

For what its worth, at 31", my Hwarang is 4% behind the Kaya. Looking at the curves, it is obvious why too: the less reflexed profile reduces its early draw weight. At 9" draw it is 74% of the Kaya, by 11" it is 81% of the Kaya. It keeps closing the gap up to 27" where it is <2% behind, but ends up at just 96% at 31". I have a Spitfire too that I'll add to this datapool at some point. All this, BTW, will be published on my facebook page as I accumulate and digest it. Chrono work is next. Unfortunately I blew out my shoulder (not bow related) so at the moment my Hwarang is beyond me. Give it time. smile I should also note that energy stored is significantly different than energy delivered, unless of course you intend to shoot infinite mass arrows. I don't need a chrono though to tell you that both my Kaya and Hwarang are significantly more efficient than my Grozer Turkish. That bow, love it as I do, seems to have been designed with little understanding of efficiency. Those siyahs are frigging massive.

TL;DR, while I know Grozer has knocked out some new Turkish designs lately, I highly doubt they're in a different class from a quality Korean bow, at least given the example I own. It is also worth noting that these are all modern reproductions, and one should be cautious drawing conclusions about ancient cultures from that.

Hope all this was helpful/informative.

Good post, thanks

Interesting that the YMG(? or SMG?) stores less energy than the Kaya. Maybe I should get a Kaya? tongue The YMG bows seem pretty reflexed from the pictures, with relatively long tips..

Bluelake can tell you which bow I have, however FWIW I bought it quite recently and it is as powerful as he would allow me to specify.

I also want to be VERY clear about something: storing more energy doesn't necessarily mean the bow will be more efficient in regards to #@draw length to projectile FPS conversion. The 4% difference in stored energy is also quite small. If the numbers I've seen circulated on this forum are accurate, the Hwarang will be more efficient at converting it to arrow energy, at least with light arrows. If they were equally as efficient at converting their stored energy, the 4% difference would manifest itself as about a 6fps disadvantage for a bow which is ~50#@28" drawn to 31". That is larger than the velocity margin of error in our experiments, but is smaller than the bowyer's poundage margin of error, so again either way if efficiency were the same and you ordered two 50# bows you wouldn't be able to guess which would shoot faster in advance. And there is no reason to think efficiency would be the same either, because again the few numbers I've been able to dig up on this forum suggest the Hwarangs shoot surprisingly fast for their poundage, but without a lot more data that is just speculation.

TL;DR, don't make the mistake of over-reaching with your interpretations of the data. That said, I've long been curious as to why the Hwarangs have less reflex than other modern material Korean bows. That little mid-working-limb deflex is surprising, at least in the lower poundage bows. In the max power, ~90# bows, I'm grateful for it as it allows the maximum safe draw length to reach my draw length, 31". Believe me, even people familiar with my crazy short bows go running for cover when they see that Hwarang's limbs go parallel with my arm.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

Bluelake can tell you which bow I have

YMG

Thumbs up +1

11 (edited by Pedro C 2016-06-22 09:16:35)

does it look like this?
https://static.pcout.in/3f9e00b3-97c9-4c74-8c77-9c34ad2b0427.png

seems a bit different from the http://www.koreanarchery.org/classic/hwarangbow.html one, maybe an older or different model

string seems to be twisted about 16 times on that picture..

I think Adam Karpowicz said something about straight bows with low limb mass doing very well with light arrows, with reflex mattering more for heavier arrows.

12 (edited by Hunterseeker5 2016-06-22 14:23:39)

I would say it looks different from the bow you pictured in a number of respects. Most pertinent in this case is that, at least to my eyes, the deflex appears different.

Easiest solution is just to put all the bows on my bow rack and take a side-on picture so you can compare all the profiles simultaneously. Note how perfectly the profile of the spitfire matches that of the Kaya. I'd also like to point out that, in terms of looking like an actual horn bow, the Hwarang is the only one that is even close. Far from regretting buying it, it is one of my favorite bows. I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one. It really is a different animal from the ~200$ Korean carbon wunderbows.

https://i.imgur.com/az5JsBH.jpg

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

I don't need a chrono though to tell you that both my Kaya and Hwarang are significantly more efficient than my Grozer Turkish. That bow, love it as I do, seems to have been designed with little understanding of efficiency.

That doesn't surprise myself.  I've heard people for years saying the 'basic Turks' by Grozer are the one thing that saves his rep, but after seeing the vast majority of his work over the years I always found even that statement hard to believe.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

Note how perfectly the profile of the spitfire matches that of the Kaya.

Not surprised of that either.  Heard from a few sources here and there how all the bows that guy makes seem by and large influenced by Korean synthetics despite how they all have different names which appear to be nothing more than marketing angles.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

It is also worth noting that these are all modern reproductions, and one should be cautious drawing conclusions about ancient cultures from that.

Ohhhhhhh yeah. big_smile

Thanks for posting this info.  I'm curious myself to see how the chrono results will pan out.

Thumbs up

14 (edited by Hunterseeker5 2016-06-23 03:04:49)

geoarcher wrote:
Hunterseeker5 wrote:

Note how perfectly the profile of the spitfire matches that of the Kaya.

Not surprised of that either.  Heard from a few sources here and there how all the bows that guy makes seem by and large influenced by Korean synthetics despite how they all have different names which appear to be nothing more than marketing angles.

This is not true. I've actually built bows with him before. He can certainly be considered abrasive, but his knowledge of the subject matter is vast, his skill as a bowyer is immense, and while this bow matches this particular Kaya's profile surprisingly well, it is just one of dozens of different forms he uses (I've seen the room) and is the only one to my memory that even vaguely looks like these Korean bows. I should add it also predates this Kaya by 6 or 7 years if memory serves.

As far as claiming affiliation with ancient cultures as marketing bunk, you can sort of argue that one both ways. His personal angle is performance, and if you've ever shot or see how he builds his bows (I've handled about a dozen and have two), it is pretty clear he marches to the beat of his own drum having developed a number of interesting and novel technologies for his bows. So his designs are what Dr. Murat might call "inspired by" a particular ancient culture. Some may legitimately take issue with that, saying they appear less authentic, but I personally defend it because on a non-horn-sinew bow of vastly less draw weight, if you're questing after efficiency you're going to have to make significant design changes. I don't mean to be infuriatingly opaque about it, but a lot of what he does just isn't mine to share. Love him or hate him though, you should respect him as he is not only a great bowyer, he is probably the last English speaker who has had the three great steppe culture icons handed down to him by direct bloodline: horsemanship, falconry, and archery/bowyery. Take it for what you will.

If you want to keep up with the chrono results, follow our facebook page. It'll all be released there as I have time to generate and digest the data.

15 (edited by Pedro C 2016-06-23 03:46:41)

What page?

I've found it interesting that it seems like Korean horn bows look kinda like the Hwarang YMG bows when just unstrung after being used for a while? Just based on one video though. Maybe a bit more reflexed. Still doesn't say much about how they'd perform in flight archery compared to the Korean synthetics...

I read in the spitfire page that light, fast arrows are better at penetration.. I doubt that, but still they'd travel flatter and what matters most is hitting the right spot.

Generally, you have more kinetic energy with heavier arrows.. at least with more "normal" bows.

16 (edited by geoarcher 2016-06-23 04:41:54)

Interesting...

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

This is not true. I've actually built bows with him before. He can certainly be considered abrasive, but his knowledge of the subject matter is vast...

I heard him claim that the Scythians used thumbrings yet there appears to be no evidence of this whatsoever.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

...his skill as a bowyer is immense, and while this bow matches this particular Kaya's profile surprisingly well, it is just one of dozens of different forms he uses (I've seen the room) and is the only one to my memory that even vaguely looks like these Korean bows.

Most who I've come across who owned those bows often remark how much they are like the Koreans.  Plus he always talks them up (Korean bows that is).  I know his site offers some other options though it doesn't give the impression of a diverse array of styles....

Does he actually make the real horn composite bows?  Ever or at all?  That to me seems to be a huge qualifier as to whether or not you are actually 'of the culture'.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

I should add it also predates this Kaya by 6 or 7 years if memory serves.

Ok, though I know he's quite familiar with the genre of Korean archery.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

As far as claiming affiliation with ancient cultures as marketing bunk...

Which he often does himself.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

...you can sort of argue that one both ways.

As he often does as well...

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

His personal angle is performance...

Among other things....

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

....and if you've ever shot or see how he builds his bows (I've handled about a dozen and have two), it is pretty clear he marches to the beat of his own drum having developed a number of interesting and novel technologies for his bows. So his designs are what Dr. Murat might call "inspired by" a particular ancient culture. Some may legitimately take issue with that, saying they appear less authentic, but I personally defend it because on a non-horn-sinew bow of vastly less draw weight, if you're questing after efficiency...

It all depends what you are going after at the end of the day: 

-Some want a bow that they can string up and shoot fast. 
-Others however want to see what the 'real deals' were like. 
-Some quest for something unique or the ultimate evolution. 

From what I gather its somehow the last of these points that is what is being offered here by that particular bowyer.  Ergo, I'm curious to see the chrono results as I've heard much of what could be referred to as 'hype' surrounding these bows.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

Love him or hate him though, you should respect him as he is not only a great bowyer, he is probably the last English speaker who has had the three great steppe culture icons handed down to him by direct bloodline: horsemanship, falconry, and archery/bowyery. Take it for what you will.

I've heard him claim he's everything from Serb, Russian Cossack, Bulgarian etc. etc. and then he goes on to bash every other culture that's ever existed.   

Whether or not he is what he says he is, you are either born into 'the culture' or not.  And to obviously qualify for that, you have to be born in the time and place, in no small part, especially the nomadic ones of archaic nature.

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

If you want to keep up with the chrono results, follow our facebook page. It'll all be released there as I have time to generate and digest the data.

Controversies aside I'm curious.  Send me a link if you can or care to.

Thumbs up

geoarcher wrote:

Most who I've come across who owned those bows often remark how much they are like the Koreans.  Plus he always talks them up (Korean bows that is).  I know his site offers some other options though it doesn't give the impression of a diverse array of styles....

I've known Chris for years.  We first met waaaaayyy back when I sold him and a friend of his several Hwarangs.  We met at a McDonald's somewhat halfway between my Michigan home and their Canadian one.  Chris was very polite and respectful and didn't talk much then.

Later, he came out with his own bow, which he called a "Hwarang"; to say I was a little miffed is putting it mildly.  It greatly confused many people. 

Yes, he could be abrasive.  However, he and I generally got along fine.

Thumbs up +1

bluelake wrote:

I've known Chris for years.  We first met waaaaayyy back when I sold him and a friend of his several Hwarangs.  We met at a McDonald's somewhat halfway between my Michigan home and their Canadian one.  Chris was very polite and respectful and didn't talk much then.

Later, he came out with his own bow, which he called a "Hwarang"; to say I was a little miffed is putting it mildly.  It greatly confused many people.

Yup.  Uh-huh.

bluelake wrote:

Yes, he could be abrasive.  However, he and I generally got along fine.

Yes, although he should really curtail this as its clear that there's more going on here w/ his 'credentials'.  Plus he's alienated himself alot from others over the years because of.  Nobody likes the 'I know, I know, I know and you don't guy' especially when the knowledge is based from other sources rather than what is claimed. 

Also bluelake, he's twofaced.  He bashes everyone who has clearly given him knowledge and says they don't know cause they weren't 'born into it'.  He's done this with you before which I thought was totally inappropriate BTW.

Respect is earned.  Not automatically born into by someone who was raised on maple syrup and Canada Dry yet claims they practically came out of a time machine from the steppes and is the 'real deal'.

Thumbs up

I see I've come across a member of Chris' fan club......

I think this is where I should step aside. No ill feelings toward anyone. smile

Hunterseeker5 wrote:

I see I've come across a member of Chris' fan club......

More like what fan club is even left?  He had to take down that forum of his cause even his most loyals got tired of the egotistical nonsense and moved on...

Like I said though, if you care to share a link please do.  Otherwise, I'm just going to get my own chronie and put everything through the 'crucible of truth'...a saying that the self proclaimed 'hetman' would even tout about.

Thumbs up +1

Please do Geo.

Thumbs up

I might use my high speed camera instead if I ever want to measure speed, anyone else done that?

23 (edited by geoarcher 2016-06-24 20:35:20)

Well, well.  Look what popped in the mail yesterday thanks to Amazon same day shipping smile:

http://i.imgur.com/2zRl7yh.jpg

Tripod courtesy of Target:

http://i.imgur.com/Tr6PTGB.jpg

Up for trial are the usual suspects plus a few more not shown:

http://i.imgur.com/FcrmDxG.jpg

So here's the list:

Saluki Crimean Tatar Hybrid: 65@30"
Golhan Turk Bow: 58@28"
YMG Korean: 55@31"
Mariner 'Han I'/Khotanese: 50@32"
HMG Korean: 45@31"
Saluki Damascus: 40@30"

All of these were chronied with a 32 inch in total length four fletched Goldtip 5575 arrow and drawn to 32 inches with the exception of Golhan's Turk bow since it really only permits a 30 inch draw at best and so that's what I drew it to. 

So with out further adieu, here are max speeds within observable range relative to other readings I was getting:

Saluki Crimean Tatar Hybrid: 222 fps
Golhan Turk Bow: 183 fps
YMG Korean: 216 fps
Mariner 'Han I'/Khotanese: 173 fps (note: average speeds were actually 160-163...may be more of an anomaly)
HMG Korean: 186 fps
Saluki Damascus: 181 fps

Consistent with previous reports here the Crimean Tatar Hybrid performs extraordinarily well though because characteristics  vary so much among my bows its perhaps not entirely fair to strut it about the place although one other gentleman who posted here in the past got a score of 207 fps if memory serves well with his 40# Crim Tatar by Saluki.  Say what you want about Lukas, the man makes a pretty damn good product in terms of fps and the penetration of this particular bow is very good even with my relatively skinny carbon.

And of course the Koreans do extremely well in this area, right up there with Lukas' products.  Matter of fact the 45# HMG's results were the big surprise of the day for me.  That bow was a fraction of the cost of all the others here, isn't nearly as pretty, yet has no trouble at all casting an arrow at a relatively respectable speed.

Also consistent with what I've heard is of course the Mariner.  I love this bow actually and I think really if one is going to start learning thumbring shooting Asiatic archery they should really begin with these bow since they're so easy to use/comfortable.  I even taught a noob once how to do this type of archery with one of them and it went extraordinarily well.  Unfortunately they're on the slower side but its pretty consistent with what Justin Ma would tell you.  Regardless, I'm probably going to pick up a Yuan style bow by Mariner in the near future.

Other interesting thing to note are my speeds with the Golhan.  They were clustering all more around the 180-183 range provided my draw was just right.  Very different from the 190 to 201 scores I was hearing about but then again I don't remember what the grain per pound factor was in that video so it may just be that.

So there you have it.  No secret facebook pages, no propaganda, no nonsense, just pure unadulterated 'crucible of truth'.

Unfortunately, I don't have a NitwitFire horse bow, but if you're in the Mid-Atlantic area and want it chronied, drop me a line and I'll gladly red pill the heck out of that thing. cool

And I even had time today to make Bulgarian burek:

http://i.imgur.com/JR5ADso.jpg

Now I'm the tr00 Bulgar master-Hunnic Warlord of the steppes!  And I ain't even Bulgarian. wink

Thumbs up

24 (edited by Pedro C 2016-06-24 20:44:39)

Well, they were different draw weights with the same arrows tongue Interesting anyway
Seems like the YMG might be doing better than the Saluki Hybrid if it's less pounds at 32"
How many grains are those arrows?
That plate looks tasty

25 (edited by geoarcher 2016-06-25 00:48:13)

Pedro C wrote:

Well, they were different draw weights with the same arrows tongue Interesting anyway

Its pretty much all I have for carbons.  Granted I have other Goldtip carbons of varying length and slight difference in GPI (greater weight I believe actually) but when I ran them through the difference was subtle compared to my preferred 32 inch ones.  I've found over the years you get more speed out of more significant drops in GPI, naturally, and I just don't have a good variety laying around at the moment in terms of carbon.  Even the Korean arrows I used with the YMG didn't differ too much although they were a tad slower.  However now that I have a chrono I may grab some of the 3555s.  I definitely want to see if I can get more out of the Damascus. 

The arrow BTW is 9.3 GPI.  So with the fletching, nock and arrow point its likely coming somewhere over 300 grains I believe.  I don't think I have anything laying around to get a precise measurement but will look and see later if I do.

Pedro C wrote:

Seems like the YMG might be doing better than the Saluki Hybrid if it's less pounds at 32"

The Koreans are great values.  Those scores too BTW more or less tell the same story with what was posted here a year or two ago in another thread comparing the Koreans to the lower pound Saluki Crimean Tatar.

Thumbs up