1 (edited by oni 2016-11-02 01:20:47)

Topic: G'day from OZ

G'day there.
I'm in Sydney, Australia. Have a carbon Kaya KTB 50#, must be going on 7 years now.  Just picked it up again this year.
Hopefully I can learn to shoot it properly this time round .

Looking forward to some intelligent answers to my stupid questions  smile
Cheers

Thumbs up

Re: G'day from OZ

Welcome

got pictures? KTB? Sounds nice

I am getting a 20-25# bow now (Segye) because I can't hit anything with my 40-45#... so I imagine my form must suck for some reason. still for now I should definitely do pulling exercises with my 40-45#.

Do you plan to do 'true Korean' style with the frontal super open stance, double-hook hold, very low wrist etc or modify such as with single hook, parallel stance..?

Pedro C wrote:

Welcome

I am getting a 20-25# bow now (Segye) because I can't hit anything with my 40-45#... so I imagine my form must suck for some reason. still for now I should definitely do pulling exercises with my 40-45#.

Do you plan to do 'true Korean' style with the frontal super open stance, double-hook hold, very low wrist etc or modify such as with single hook, parallel stance..?

Hi Pedro & Thanx.
Found a pic from a few months ago.  The arrows are 2016 Easton Legacies. Same age as the bow.

A lighter bow would be good .  At least kinder on home made bag targets but I bet it wouldn't take long to get used to the 45#.
I had sore rhomboids for  a few weeks when I picked up the bow again but that passed as I improved my form some.

I try to shoot as traditionally as I can learn from watching videos but I'm not sure of some of the terms you use like "double-hook" hold.
I made a few thumbrings over the years but settled on the moose antler sugakji I made recently.

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 5.45.33 PM.jpg 335.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

I couldn't work out how to attach a second pic in my previous post .  Here's my progression of thumbrings over the years.

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2016-11-02 at 5.45.52 PM.jpg 150.91 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard! Lot of great guys in this forum for sure. I have a Kaya KTB #25 myself. Great bow for the beginner that I am!
Cheers,
Tom.

Thumbs up

Tom wrote:

Welcome aboard! Lot of great guys in this forum for sure. I have a Kaya KTB #25 myself. Great bow for the beginner that I am!
Cheers,
Tom.

Thanx Tom.  May you have many hits   smile

Thumbs up

7 (edited by Pedro C 2016-11-03 03:22:55)

oni wrote:
Pedro C wrote:

Welcome

Hi Pedro & Thanx.
Found a pic from a few months ago.  The arrows are 2016 Easton Legacies. Same age as the bow.

A lighter bow would be good .  At least kinder on home made bag targets but I bet it wouldn't take long to get used to the 45#.
I had sore rhomboids for  a few weeks when I picked up the bow again but that passed as I improved my form some.

I try to shoot as traditionally as I can learn from watching videos but I'm not sure of some of the terms you use like "double-hook" hold.
I made a few thumbrings over the years but settled on the moose antler sugakji I made recently.

Looks nice!

Ah, I ordered some Easton Legacy shafts but they were too dang short neutral They don't even specify the arrow lengths in Lancaster Archery..

You are now using a sugakji so I guess the technique would be a bit different? That double hook stuff is for an amgakji, as far as I know..

Double hook on the draw hand means you have two fingers (index & middle) holding the thumb, actually only half of the middle finger covering the tip of the thumb. Also the hold I was taught by master Heon Ku Kim was 1 and a half fingers holding the thumb, with a deep hook and the ring between the first joint of the thumb and the thumb's base - maybe this depends on the shape of the ring..
by deep hook, I mean, a shallow hook would be the tip of the index holding the thumb closed, holding the string. a deep hook would be the index more wrapped around the thumb, maybe past the distal joint of the index

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg70KpG5XsY is a bit different from the Korean style... actually what master Kim does is a bit more like standard double-hook than like gao ying's double hook, with some differences such as the deeper hold.. He is still very accurate with it

8 (edited by oni 2016-11-03 04:21:50)

Pedro C wrote:

Looks nice!

Ah, I ordered some Easton Legacy shafts but they were too dang short neutral They don't even specify the arrow lengths in Lancaster Archery..

You are now using a sugakji so I guess the technique would be a bit different? That double hook stuff is for an amgakji, as far as I know..

Double hook on the draw hand means you have two fingers (index & middle) holding the thumb, actually only half of the middle finger covering the tip of the thumb. Also the hold I was taught by master Heon Ku Kim was 1 and a half fingers holding the thumb, with a deep hook and the ring between the first joint of the thumb and the thumb's base - maybe this depends on the shape of the ring..
by deep hook, I mean, a shallow hook would be the tip of the index holding the thumb closed, holding the string. a deep hook would be the index more wrapped around the thumb, maybe past the distal joint of the index

This https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg70KpG5XsY is a bit different from the Korean style... actually what master Kim does is a bit more like standard double-hook than like gao ying's double hook, with some differences such as the deeper hold.. He is still very accurate with it

Thanx

Ah yeah I got caught like that on eBay in spite of asking the seller but it got sorted out.
The older 2016 Legacies as in my pic are 32" & the new ones I got were 31".  The older ones also look cooler with the faux "footing"

The sugakji doesn't really allow for depth or shallowness other than the length of the lug that the string rests on.  With mine I can feel its tip just touching my middle finger but it takes no perceivable weight & the thumb doesn't do much.
I'm sure if I used amgakji I would hook quite shallow as that is how I draw bare handed.  My index finger barely touching the thumbnail.

Interesting video.  I draw well below the nock or as Justin Ma said the arrow can get crowded off the string.  I have tried the Qing style thumbring but find the Korean rings easier.

Thumbs up

maybe the crowding is also more likely to happen if the thumb is bent at the base?

Pedro C wrote:

maybe the crowding is also more likely to happen if the thumb is bent at the base?

My thumb is pretty straight in the sugakji but  maybe with other rings.

Thumbs up