Topic: Callus on inside of pointer finger from thumb draw?

I don't know if it's normal or if I am just some how really botching my release, but I am someone consistently hitting, rubbing or doing something to the inside of my right pointer finger. I am doing whatever it is consistently enough that I have developed and unpleasant callus on the spot. At first I though it was somehow the bowstring doing it, but that makes no sense. So my current theory is that on release the friction from my thumb nail is injuring my finger. I get used to it each time I shoot towards the end but when I first start shooting it screws with me bad. Anyone experience this and possibly have tips to combat this?
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn16/Nahtscato/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20161207_093814_zps9so8axxk.jpg

Thumbs up

Re: Callus on inside of pointer finger from thumb draw?

Is that part of your index finger rubbing the string when you draw? Does your index finger get thwack by the string when you release? If so you might want to twist your hand counter-clockwise and make sure it's outside the string.

If it's your thumb nail scraping on it, maybe tuck your thumb tip further up?

Thumbs up

dave42 wrote:

Is that part of your index finger rubbing the string when you draw? Does your index finger get thwack by the string when you release? If so you might want to twist your hand counter-clockwise and make sure it's outside the string.

If it's your thumb nail scraping on it, maybe tuck your thumb tip further up?

I definitely don't think my finger is getting struck by the string,  if it was I would be confused as to how since it's the inner side that touches my middle finger that is being effected. It's a shame but a few weeks before I took up Korean archery  there were some people at the range I go to who had a high speed camera for some project filming people shoot, a single recording of my release would probably have shown the exact problem. Going to try getting athletic tape and wrapping my fingers the next time I shoot and seeing what that does.

Thumbs up

Yeah there wouldn't be any sort of "maybe" if your finger's getting thwacked   big_smile

Did you ask Master Kim about it?

Thumbs up

You, but he has been telling to just turn my hand more as you said, but I am already twisting it as much as I can. That or he doesn't quite exactly understand what I mean when I explain it. I think taping my fingers might help shed a bit of light when I try it, if it's the string it might pull on the tape, if its my thumb nail the friction should be less noticeable.

Thumbs up

First, check very carefully where your thumb fingernail sits on the pointer finger when you draw. Also, make sure you close the thumb fully (90 degrees) and position it so that the pointer finger sits on it squarely. If the thumb is not fully closed, it will put pressure exactly where you have the problem. The middle of the pointer finger should sit over the base of the thumb nail. However, bare in mind that everybody is different, and you must find a position that works for you.

In my opinion you are applying too much pressure with it over the thumb. Your thumb should be strong enough to hold the string on its own, with only light pressure from the pointer.

Thumbs up