Topic: caramelizing bamboo shafts?

Hi,
I am new to the group.  This is my first post.

I make bamboo arrows of all sorts and I find that the brown (caramelized) bamboo arrows are more brittle than the raw shafts.  So I do not treat my arrows with high heat to turn them brown.  I just heat straighten and I don't even sand down the nodes (even on Tonkin) but that might be more critical when flinging 140 yards.

I am attaching an article that I wrote for Traditional Bowhunter Magazine.  It is the way I prefer to make my arrows for versatility.  Thought some of you might glean something of interest from it?  These are mostly target and hunting arrows.  Though I am now interested in attempting to make bamboo that will go the distance (140 yards)!  So I am thinking of sanding nodes etc.

I will be starting to make some semi-traditional Korean arrows and prefer parallel points.  Anyone have a good source for these?  Tophat are expensive but work well.  For caramelized bamboo I drill out the threads and glue on.  I now have an inexpensive point for both the raw and caramelized shafts which is inserted into the shaft.  You have probably seen the duplex nail trick, but I use a wrap and heat shrink to keep the shaft from splitting.  Works great and very durable. 

Anybody out there from Seattle?

Dave
Seattle, WA

Thumbs up

Re: caramelizing bamboo shafts?

Here is a link to the TBM article and video on how to build the ultimate arrow.
http://rangersarchery.com/ultimate

Dave

Thumbs up

Re: caramelizing bamboo shafts?

Great video!  Thanks for posting.

Thumbs up