Topic: kaya Khan bow

i am glad i found this site, not very busy, but i really like the korean archery.  and i recently recieved the kaya Khan bow.  ive have been waiting to get this bow since dec of 2010 since i learned about it!   

i got the 55# model.  i also have a 55# samick skb50.  i was impressed by that one, so i had high hopes for this one.  it didnt disappoint.  the samick was shooting one arrow 155fps, not too bad for a bow that feels like a toy. 

the Khan, feels more substantial, like a light bow, i enjoy it in my hand.  i love the looks of it.  the performance, much better.  the same arrow it was shooting 174fps.  i recently finished some korean style river cane arrows that i have been waiting to make since december.  they are 29 inches, 45 lb spine, 75 grain point.  there is 6 of them, they are from 350-375 grains.  with the 374 grain arrow, i got a high of 187 and a low of 181 fps..  this thing really flings an arrow! 

such a wonderful bargain!  im really thinking of buying a kaya korean bow, the first style one. 

i just thought id share!  id like to buy another one or two for my boys to grow in to!

Thumbs up

Re: kaya Khan bow

Welcome aero86!
That's good news about the 'Khan'. I can vouch for the Kaya KTB, my friend has one and it has excellent performance and at a great price.

Thumbs up

thank you for the welcome.  id really like to get a kaya ktb.  a lower draw weight of course, so i can learn thumb ring shooting.  maybe someone would trade me one, plus a few bucks for my samick skb50?  smile  haha

Thumbs up

I just get Samick SKB 55#, and must say, i´m impressed. Light and small, but very fast bow.

I meant to buy Kaya KTB, but there is quite long delivery time, Samick only takes few days.

But i will order Kaya later.

I have been use thumbring for few weeks now, and won´t go back to finger release.

I also have scythian and maguar bows, also shoot with thumbring.

By the way, anybody know, is Samick measured 28" or 30"?

Thumbs up

hannu, it is measured at 28".  i tested mine to about 27, which is what my draw is, and it was about 52 lbs

Thumbs up

aero86 wrote:

hannu, it is measured at 28".  i tested mine to about 27, which is what my draw is, and it was about 52 lbs

Ok, thanks.
It is very smooth bow compared to my Old Scythian from Grozer, which is 50#.

If Kaya is even better, i must get one, or might think to buy Hwarang too...

Thumbs up

i cant compare it to the Kaya ktb because its made differently and a bit longer, but the Kaya Khan is very sweet shooter.  the kaya also shoots 20fps faster than the samick.  i feel bad for the samick because i probably wont ever shoot it again, but it deserves more than that!

Thumbs up

I just received a test model of the Khan from Kaya yesterday.  I plan to take it to our university's club to test it out as soon as I can, but I'm rather busy this week.  I first drew a Khan at the beginning of the year when I helped Kaya out at the ATA trade show in Indianapolis and liked it then; it will be a good choice for those who want Korean bow technology, but still shoot with fingers off a shelf.

Thumbs up

yes bluelake, cant wait to hear what you think.  what weight did you get?  i got a 55# model and im trying to spine match arrows for it properly.  what would you suggest for it?

Thumbs up

They sent me a 45# @28" bow (I generally shoot around 50#, but this will work fine).

Thumbs up

Hello!

I'm new in korean style archery, and was thinking about buying a bow, but I'm a little bit confused...

The problem is that I don't like the KTB leather finish, and I was thinking about getting the Kahn but, because of the shelf I'm not sure if it is appropriate to be shot with thumbring.
Is more prepared to be used with finger draw and shot with the shelf?
Or the thumbring draw can be used with a shelf (in the left of the bow for right handed archers)?

Thanks in advance!!!

(And please forgive my bad english!)

Thumbs up

deagol. just so you know, i believe the max draw of the khan bow is 28 or 29 inches.  the kaya just has a leather covering over it, you might be able to take it off.  if you want to use the khan bow, and you are right handed draw, you would have to get a left handed bow

Thumbs up

Thanks for your fast reply aero86!

I was wrong then. I thought that the Khan was a KTB with shelf.
Knowing this I might decide to buy the KTB...

Thanks!

Thumbs up

your very welcome.  the khan is a different design for 3 finger shooters.  im actually thinking of buying a 35 or 40 lb draw weight kaya to practice thumb ring shooting.

Thumbs up

Welcome Deagol!
If you look in our Commercial section under Hwarang and Kaya there are links to the respective sites and explanations of the models offered.
I'm sure it would be possible to use thumb release with the Khan, though with a left handed bow for a right handed archer as aero86 has stated.
The Hwarang and Kaya KTB are based on the traditional horn bow shape and performance. Of course, there are also horn bellied models offered smile
So much choice!

Thumbs up

man, i wish i could afford to get a horn bow!  that is my ultimate dream!

Thumbs up

I still haven't had a chance to try out the Khan (maybe this weekend), but it does only draw back to about 28-29".

Thumbs up

Thanks to all for your help!

I've finally decided for the KTB.
I also like the horn models, but at least now i only want it to get distracted from the stress of the olympic recurve competitions... Too much sights, buttons and stabilizers.
Some times I feel the need to grab a bow, without all the gadgets, and place a target at only few meters and shoot arrows, just for the sake of doing it...
Some one told me that i could simply dismount the accessories from my Formula RX and do it, but i think it's not the same, don't you think so?
In fact i have some friends that started this way and now they have the olympic in the closet and only shoot longbow!!

Well, i'll let you know when i have news about the bow! Sure i will need some advise.

Thumbs up

i hope you like it!  ill get one myself eventually! it sounds like you shoot olympic style?  thats pretty neat!

i wish i could find someone around here that could help me shoot, not many people in the states that like archery.

Thumbs up

20 (edited by WarBow 2011-04-13 20:01:19)

Is the Khan really limited in draw length to 29"?  I thought it is only smooth till 29" and can still be drawn further.  For example, a thumb ring will allow the archer to draw at least two inches further than the three-finger draw.

Thumbs up

might be warbow, but i dont know.  since it was designed for 3 finger draw, it might have only been designed to be drawn to 29 with 3 fingers.  you might get 30 out of it with a thumbring.

Thumbs up

The Khan I have shot in the 160s, mostly (45# @28" w/500gr arrow).  I didn't have much time to try further, but it felt like it would only draw to my chin.  I'll try it again later using a thumb ring.

Thumbs up

bluelake, what type arrows do you think would be best for a 55# kaya?  what spine rating or what kind of carbons would be best?  i want to use bamboo, but i really need to get a good set of arrows for it to see if my accuracy is off or my equipment(arrows) are not up to snuff.

Thumbs up

Well, bamboos are good for any occasion, so that's always a good bet.  However, personally, I'll shoot either wood or CarbonExpress Terminators with mine.

Thumbs up

alrightie.  thank you very much!

Thumbs up