Re: kaya Khan bow

Yesterday, I shot a few of my 500gr wood arrows with the Khan, using a thumb ring, and it launched them all the way to the Korean-style target 145m away.  Although I wasn't able to reach a full thumb ring draw, the results were still very impressive.

Thumbs up

sounds good to me!  thank you very much for your feedback!

Thumbs up

Hi Bluelake, i ordered a khan bow 55# draw, and my draw length on compound bows is 29"- what weight/size carbon arrows should i use? I pkan on using carbon fiber arrows to learn first and then move onto bamboo or wood later on once my skills improve. Should i put 100 gr field points or 125? I wish there was more information on this.... Please help!

Thumbs up

Hi Trident,

As Korean carbons are measured differently from Western carbons, it's hard for me to say.  When I picked up CarbonExpress Terminators (from WalMart), I didn't pay much attention to the measurements.  However, I'm pretty sure I was using 100gr. points.  My recommendation would be to see if you can find/borrow a few different arrows to test out to see which ones work the best; that's what I did.

T

Thumbs up

I think carbon arrows only come in 500 weight that I've used?? I will roll with that and see what happens, still waiting on my bow....

Thumbs up

Ok picked up my bow, it's a kaya khan @55lb draw... Beautiful beautiful bow... I would post pics If I knew how... I had a little trouble stringing it, but it wasn't that hard. Just the first time I have strung a bow, the step through is an easy way. You just have to manhandle it, the bow can take it when stringing as long as you are in the correct position. I followed the bracing the horn bow instructions on the main page. Bluelake does a clear demonstration. Once i got it strung, I headed over to the range. I shot about 60 arrows, the same 340 gr beman ics hunters I use for my compound bow. WOW.... tons of power and hard hitting bow! I couldn't believe it. It was whacking the targets with authority! My local indoor range is only 20 yards, since I live in the city area. My arrows were a bit straying at first, due to my form, and not being used to a zero letoff bow... It felt organic. It felt natural, it was so much fun and pure. I really loved it and now I'm hooked. It's a bit heavy draw without the letoff but I'll be fully used to it after a few more sessions, lol.. Had no problems drawing. Tons of power! There was a tiny bit of handshock, but that was mentioned. It's not really noticeable when you are shooting. I just put on some beaver fur silencers so let's see if that makes a difference. It is such a joy to hold, it feels light and natural in the hand, is very well made and finished very nicely. The limb tips are made of canvas micarta, beautiful tough stuff. Glad they used that. Think how hard the Formica countertop is in your kitchen. Formica is short for formally micarta...  My arrows had the blazer fletched which were getting ripped off, need to get some of the heavier arrows I ordered fletched with feathers and should be perfect. A natural pointer, it felt very natural to point and shoot. After the first few I got most of them in around the 10x, and a few even in the 10x! I was surprised, I wasn't even expecting to hit the same wall first time out... All in all a terrific bow for the money, is beautiful enough to be hung on my wall in between use, I plan on leaving it strung for the first week and on and off, I don't think it would cause any problems to this very well made bow at all.

Thumbs up

Hi

I'm thinking of aquiring a Kaya Khan.

I was just wondering how much power it may deliver.

I wish to use it for hunting, but in my country the bow must deliver 40joule (at E0) using an arrow of at least  386 grains or 25grams.

Is this possible with this bow?

Thank You in advance.

Thumbs up

The Khan can be quite a little powerhouse, as it is made from the same materials and basic design as the regular Korean bows.  I cannot say how many joules it can produce, however.

Thumbs up

189 fps and you've made it.

Thumbs up

35 (edited by bjarup 2011-09-26 07:30:50)

It seems  that the Khan is delivering #55 at 28 and is supposed to be drawn out to about 29"

KAYA Brochure

Thumbs up

bjarup, the Khan has plenty of power for hunting my man.... I am shooting the 55#@29 inch draw just like you and this thing throws arrows!

I'm shooting 500, and 550 grain arrows, total weight, some 600 grain arrows, and the penetration I get is astounding. It is also silent, you can barely hear it, only the arrow whacking the target.

I put some beaver fur silencers on mine, shoot it three finger at a slight cant, and I'm shooting groups out to 15-20 yards with no problems!  I'm new to traditional archery and this bow has been very forgiving and a ton of fun. I don't think I will ever shoot another type of traditional bow with a 3 finger draw after having shot this one.

I have shot my friends long bows, and recurves, and they are just too bulky and have unnecessary weight and heft. To me I feel like I'm holding a log with a string after using this.

This bow feels like an extension of your hand, doesn't even weigh a pound, and is very forgiving.
I use the full length 33" carbon arrows I'm using for my other Korean Traditional bows (Gold Tip Traditional 5575), and it shoots where I point it.

I have a cronograph on its way to me, I will post the different speeds and FPE (foot pounds energy) calculation based on weight and speed to see how much power this thing is actually making. This is a phenomenal bow for the money, and is built to last with the micarta limb tips.

I recommend heavier arrows, like 500 grains, to get optimal flight. I tried lighter weight beman 340 carbon arrows, that were 9.3 GPI with 100 grain field points, and they were fishtailing all over the place. The arrows flew noticeably faster, very very fast but they were flying erratically.

Now, haha I don't know if that was my shooting or the light weight arrows, but I'm sure the arrows were more sensitive to proper release at the lighter weight. These heavier arrows I'm using are much more stable and smooth shooting. If you want to use your carbon arrows, I recommend getting 100 grain brass inserts for the front end, with 125 grain points, leave it a few inches longer than the draw and let them fly. Also using 5" feathers on a 120 degree right wing helical is great.

I am experimenting with 4" feathers, 4 fletch with 90 degree placement and right wing helical to see if there is a difference, and will report back. Somehow I feel the 5" feathers X 3 @120 right wing helical is the best combination.

What do you plan on hunting and where are you hunting?

Thumbs up

37 (edited by bjarup 2011-09-26 15:21:24)

Trident

Thanks for Your reply. Very informative.

The only species allowed for bow hunting, where I live, is Roe deer, fox, rabbit and smaller animals. Denmark is the country.
Energy is mandatory. 40joule "at the muzzle" so to speak is the requirement by law.

So the bow must deliver that amount of power.

Looking forward to the Chrono measures. ;-)

Thumbs up

Thomas, did you use a a khan with a right-side window?

bluelake wrote:

Yesterday, I shot a few of my 500gr wood arrows with the Khan, using a thumb ring, and it launched them all the way to the Korean-style target 145m away.  Although I wasn't able to reach a full thumb ring draw, the results were still very impressive.

Thumbs up

No, mine is a stock right-handed Khan (left side window); I just shot it with a thumb ring like any other Korean bow.

Thumbs up

bjarup wrote:

Trident

Thanks for Your reply. Very informative.

The only species allowed for bow hunting, where I live, is Roe deer, fox, rabbit and smaller animals. Denmark is the country.
Energy is mandatory. 40joule "at the muzzle" so to speak is the requirement by law.

So the bow must deliver that amount of power.

Looking forward to the Chrono measures. ;-)

Here in Finland draw weight must be over 40#.
Roe deer is also biggest game.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

No, mine is a stock right-handed Khan (left side window); I just shot it with a thumb ring like any other Korean bow.

But you still shoot right-handed, bow on left hand, arrow on left side of bow?

I have try that with normal recurve, but arrow just goes far left.

I read "Kays thumbring book", and she says, mongolian archers can shoot both sides, so it is not matter which side of the bow arrow is.

Hope you understand my bad english... hmm

Thumbs up

Hannu wrote:
bluelake wrote:

I read "Kays thumbring book", and she says, mongolian archers can shoot both sides, so it is not matter which side of the bow arrow is.

Yup, I hold it in my left hand and release with my right.  With fingers, the arrow is on the left side of the bow; with thumb ring, it's on the right.  Yes, it's true what Kay said about Mongolian archers, but they are pretty much the exception.

T

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Hannu wrote:
bluelake wrote:

Yup, I hold it in my left hand and release with my right.  With fingers, the arrow is on the left side of the bow; with thumb ring, it's on the right.  Yes, it's true what Kay said about Mongolian archers, but they are pretty much the exception.

T

Why is it that the arrow must switch side depending on the type of release?  Is it due to the different horizontal movent of the string caused by three-finger compared to thumb-release?

Thumbs up

When using a thumb draw, the index finger pushes the arrow inward (against the bow); if the arrow is on the side of the bow one shoots using fingers, it will be pushed away from the bow.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:

When using a thumb draw, the index finger pushes the arrow inward (against the bow); if the arrow is on the side of the bow one shoots using fingers, it will be pushed away from the bow.

Ahh.  Got it. ;-)  Thanks for shedding the light.

Thumbs up

bjarup don't get confused, the Khan bow is for traditional 3 finger draw. I dont recommend buying one for thumbring draw. Its not meant for that. The khan is basically a western style recurve shooting bow, with the size, cast, and power of the korean bow. Thats it. Thumbring style shooting look into the hwarang, or the kaya ktb bow. Those bows don't have a shelf. Simple. Don't get confused with the thumbring shooting, it is a different technique meant for more korean traditional style bows without the arrow rest.

Thumbs up

bluelake wrote:
Hannu wrote:
bluelake wrote:

T

Ok, i get it.  I was trying to shoot arrow on left side, no wonder it did not work... big_smile

Must try my longbow with thumbring some day... roll

Thumbs up

You might want to try out a LH Khan with a right-sided window  big_smile .  Then you can use the thumb ring.

Hannu wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Hannu wrote:

T

Ok, i get it.  I was trying to shoot arrow on left side, no wonder it did not work... big_smile

Must try my longbow with thumbring some day... roll

Thumbs up

Trident wrote:

bjarup don't get confused, the Khan bow is for traditional 3 finger draw. I dont recommend buying one for thumbring draw. Its not meant for that. The khan is basically a western style recurve shooting bow, with the size, cast, and power of the korean bow. Thats it. Thumbring style shooting look into the hwarang, or the kaya ktb bow. Those bows don't have a shelf. Simple. Don't get confused with the thumbring shooting, it is a different technique meant for more korean traditional style bows without the arrow rest.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm kind'a weird. roll   I took a shot (haha) at thumbring draw using my traditional Recurve bow yesterday.  It's right handed (window to the left).  I use a release with a string loop on my recurve and a movement-activated fall-away rest. No sights.  Works just fine.

I made myself a wannabee leather thumb ring, put it on and went into it.

Nocked the arrow placed my leather clad thumb somewhat below the arrow and my index finger as I have seen it done on u-tube, BUT I didn't touch the arrow with my index finger.   My arrows are not quite long enough to make a full 30" draw as they are made fore traditional recurve archery but no trouble on that account. 

I let the arrow fly. It went low.

I hit the target by my third arrow (I have 20 meters in my back yard).

It seems that I didn't have to change my aim much.

For now my conclusion is that it may be possible to shoot a right handed bow using a thumb ring. Only things needed for this is eliminating the hold on the arrow by the index finger and a nock that has sufficient grip on the string so that it doesn't fall off when drawing the bow.

As stated above, I am weird. -------- but it works.  big_smile

Today i succumbed to click-itis.  Went to Quicks and clicked myself a Khan 55#, Right handed (only option in their shop).

Oh boy, what have I done to myself.  roll

Thumbs up

You will love it bjarup.... report back when you get it. The beaver string silencers I have on mine really quiet the shot and any small vibrations that were there. Now it shoots smooth as silk. I'm shooting the same 33" arrows I made for my KTB's on my Khan and they fly great, about 500-550 grains total arrow weight depending on what tip I have on, but I think the FOC weight placement makes a huge difference in making for a more accurate and forgiving shot. Chrony on the way so will post numbers when I get it in.

Thumbs up