1 (edited by GT 2017-04-18 12:11:58)

Topic: Tillering on the SMG Bamboo Bow

Hi Guys

Hope you guys can please shed some information.

I just recently bought a SMG Bamboo Bow from Freddie. The tillering appears to be larger on upper limb than lower limb.

Wondering if this is normal?

I have emailed freddie few days ago and still awaiting further reply.

Photo of a my bow http://imgur.com/a/PYFMk

Kind Regards

Thumbs up

2 (edited by Pedro C 2017-04-18 23:53:34)

Re: Tillering on the SMG Bamboo Bow

Hi
That is a little weird, hopefully there are no problems with it. Have you drawn it to full draw? If you're going to, I'd try to 'heel' the bow a lot so that the bow's drawing pressure is on the lowest part of the grip. - that's what I'l ltry to do with my hornbow that has a significantly weaker limb.. it'd put more of the pressure on the lower limb afaik

Usually, in general (not Korean archery?..) the stiffer limb is the bottom limb, and the top limb has the be a bit weaker. So I think it's better that the weak limb is the top limb in this case..

I think it could be the way you brace it. Especially since it's bamboo, it might have a bit more plasticity or elastic memory (like a hornbow) at the beginning, so you could try to bend the lower limb alone more, on the knee, as if you were trying to balance a hornbow. And when you string it, try to apply equal pressure to both limbs.

I don't think the tiller is too far off at all. Notice any cracks on the bamboo?

Here's some videos of the kind of thing you might wanna try. Hopefully this is all that's wrong with it. You could try to correct it this way, then draw it a bit and see if the tiller goes back again or not..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebucscQcNrE#t=1m2s this kind of pressing of the limb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9NJvR76GTs#t=0m48s also here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebucscQcNrE I guess some of this can be relevant

Hi Pedro

I've shot the bow every day from morning till evening 5-10min sesions when ever I felt like it. The bow performs normal so far.

Photo http://imgur.com/a/AVkRA

Bow appears to bend normaly. Shoots straight where I wanted it to go.

I did thought it could be the problem when I do the step through stringing method. Now i've moved over to sitting down and stringing like the horn bow method. Putting even pressure on both limbs when applying pressure with thigh down on the handle grip. The upper limbs still appear to be bigger than lower once stringed.

You could be right on that one, I've being applying some pressure to the lower limbs. Nothing as yet.

Thumbs up +1

5 (edited by Pedro C 2017-04-19 02:14:18)

Looks great, I think you could draw a bit more, an extra inch or two, up to until the base of the arrowhead is in line with the bow's back. I've been told to always draw to the sangsa (arrowhead base felt with bow hand thumb..) for a consistent draw length. Food for thought: I'm not sure but the bow elbow looks like it may be hyperextended, maybe not rotated enough. Might be hunching the bow shoulder a bit? but only a little..

I'm interested, what spine and length of arrows are you using?

Master Kim also told me that it's fine for the top limb to be a bit big like that. My Nomad KTB might do the same thing.. it definitely does it if I string it applying more pressure to the top limb.

I think it's more a concern to have a stiffer upper limb if shooting 145m, I think it might make the arrow go up more (but not faster, I don't think..)

Hi Pedro

Its a 60lb bow and I'm still getting use to the draw weight and my draw length is not there yet. Like you said 1-2inch extra is where my actual draw length will be.

The Korean draw I dont mind doing but i prefer the turkish anchoring point on the upper cheek bone for gap shooting and accuracy. I'm using a sugakji thumb ring at the moment and still getting use to it. I may go back to using the female thumb ring in future.

For the SMG Bamboo Bow I'm flinging Easton XX75 gamegetter 400 spine, 3" fletching, 125grain field points.

I see, I'll work on the lower limb for a month and see how it goes from there. It might be the case you mentioned about Master Kim.

Thumbs up

Nice, so you're doing that anchor in the photo, it's with the arrow touching the upper cheekbone?
Do you khatra?

8 (edited by GT 2017-04-19 22:32:35)

Pedro C wrote:

Nice, so you're doing that anchor in the photo, it's with the arrow touching the upper cheekbone?
Do you khatra?

Hi Pedro

Yes the arrow touching cheek bone is where i anchore

I use a form of khatra. Its in my grip that the bow slightly swings out just enough upon releasing the arrow.

I shoot with a slight canting. The bow in photo was held verticle for seeing how the bow bends.

Thumbs up +1

I got a reply from Freddie who said there is no problem with bow in photo and if there is a problem just let him know.

Thumbs up

Hello

Update; the bow still functions and shoots nicely.

Apart from that the only problem i find is cracks developing on the birch bark. So far theres 9 cracks top limb and 8 cracks bottom limb. I've posted this in old Topic: Birch bark cracking hoping some one would reply.

Kind Regards

Thumbs up

I have always carefully treated my birchbark covered bows with a beeswax citrus oil finish. Never seen any of this cracking people refer to. I've heard advice on all sorts of things including (oddly) olive oil.

Thumbs up

Hi CTR

I was given advice on olive oil. Also read shoe wax from this forum.

I might give beeswax citrus oil a go since the cracking is still occuring after application of shoe wax and olive oil.

Thumbs up

would hide glue be good for birch bark?

Pedro C wrote:

It would probably work.  I know that my old horn bowyer friend used contact cement thinned with benzene (from what I remember), but a natural glue should be fine.

Thumbs up

15 (edited by Pedro C 2017-07-15 10:01:47)

bluelake wrote:
Pedro C wrote:

It would probably work.  I know that my old horn bowyer friend used contact cement thinned with benzene (from what I remember), but a natural glue should be fine.

It might've been a culprit to his paralysis? I think I'd (hypothetically?) rather try thick hide glue after sizing with thin fish bladder or hide glue. I've heard good things about it. For synthetic, Titebond 2 or 3 would probably work well too.
But I don't think that would help with the cracking... maybe it could just be ignored, while continuing to apply... maybe tea seed oil. Olive oil will smell rancid after a while.

Pedro C wrote:
bluelake wrote:
Pedro C wrote:

It might've been a culprit to his paralysis? I think I'd (hypothetically?) rather try thick hide glue after sizing with thin fish bladder or hide glue. I've heard good things about it. For synthetic, Titebond 2 or 3 would probably work well too.
But I don't think that would help with the cracking... maybe it could just be ignored, while continuing to apply... maybe tea seed oil. Olive oil will smell rancid after a while.

I've often wondered about that...  However, I'm going to guess a high sodium Korean diet didn't help.

Thumbs up