Topic: Hello from Austria

Hello, being new to this forum, I'd like to introduce myself.
My name is Frank, and I'm currently living in Austria (that small country to the south of Germany - NOT Australia ;-)).

I had an interest in archery from early childhood on, often practicing quite irregularly.
For obvious reasons, I had been shooting mediterranean style up to last year.
Purchasing a Kaya KTB a while ago got me interested thumb archery, both the Korean and Chinese style.
A few month ago, I seriously started practicing, mostly with my KTB (this is another story...).

While there seem to be some lonely archers practicing Korean style archery here, it is little-known here and often seen as "strange" by others.
A fellow archer at my club, having watched me for a while, asked last week why I don't draw with three fingers as the others ...

Hope I can answer some question here, and share my experiences.

Thumbs up +1

Re: Hello from Austria

Hi Frank & greetings from Australia not Austria.  This could get confusing   wink
Just tell those other archers you have arthritis in your fingers & only your thumb can draw the bow  big_smile

I have an old  all black Kaya also, pre paisley covering.  It has weathered my bad habits well & still pulls #50.

Thumbs up +1

Just tell those other archers you have arthritis in your fingers & only your thumb can draw the bow

What I didn't tell in my  introductory post - I am old enough to ignore opinions that obviously stem from ignorance ... smile

My paisley-KTB (40#@50") began to delaminate some month ago, so I retired him a few weeks ago.
I still have a "post paisley" Kaya (a Windfighter) that works well, and a White Feather bow as replacement for said KTB.

Anyway, greetings to the other side of the world ...
  Frank

Thumbs up

Welcome aboard, Frank!
Went once in Innsbruck when I was younger. Just loved Tyrol, its cheese and... great beers!  ;-)
And when I shoot my "made in Austria" Glock (more often than my Kaya KTB I must confess...!), it is always a great feeling.
Cheers,
Tom.

Thumbs up

I agree - some foods, especially cheese and beer, are very good here.
Have been to the US and tasted so-called "Bud", so I thank I can compare ...  big_smile

Would be shooting a Glock too, but it's almost impossible for normal people to get a firearm legally here.
That leaves more time for archery, including "standard" recurves and compounds ...

Thumbs up

Ever plan to go kangaroo hunting with your Korean bow? tongue

Humor aside, I'm not familiar with the "White Feather" brand bows.
https://www.jvd.nl/product/white-feathe … 83080.html

If that is representative of the breed, it looks to me like it is a Freddie Archery/Nomad OEM from the string, that radiused belly, and the silver colored leather arrow-pass. I'm no expert though.

Shame about the firearms. I have a limited run Glock 21SF on my hip right now. Says "Made in Austria" and then lists the Smyrna Georgia facility right under that. tongue These days, my understanding is that most of them are straight up made in GA, not imported and have stamping on the slide and moulding on the frame to reflect that. Fun toy for sure, but my bows get a lot more actual use.  wink

I digress. Welcome to the forums.

Thumbs up

Welcome!

I don't know what to tell people who ask why I do thumb draw/Korean bows. Just because I read about it online and it seemed really cool. Or something. Maybe I want to be different. Maybe I want to shoot the way people shot a long time ago. Also Master Kim. And it's relaxing and stuff. It's harder but it'll be great once I can shoot with good accuracy and arrow flight.

Pedro C wrote:

Welcome!

I don't know what to tell people who ask why I do thumb draw/Korean bows. Just because I read about it online and it seemed really cool. Or something. Maybe I want to be different. Maybe I want to shoot the way people shot a long time ago. ...

I agree - and it feels better somehow. Even when shooting mediterranean style, I have the tendency to draw back to my ear. And, (even physicians agree on that) the twisted wrist in mediterranean three-finger draw puts much more stress on joints and cartilages.
Relaxation is a point as well, I would even call it a form of meditation. And the lightweight and unforgiving bows from Freddie (Kaya, Nomad, ...) are good teachers ...

Thumbs up +1

Hi Frank,

I'm Thilo from this little country north of Austria, called Bavaria.
Also quite new to thumbarchery, though I got my bow a few years back already.
Finally joined a club and seriously enjoy it!

Thumbs up

Welcome!

Thumbs up