1 (edited by hyok_lee 2017-09-18 01:15:02)

Topic: String coming off SMG bow

Hello everyone,

I've been shooting a SMG 55# bow since July, with no problems, until today. The string comes off the lower limb every time I shoot. It hurt like hell, when it happens. After a couple of times, I figured it was no fluke, so I put on a glove and a guard, then took a pic right after it happened.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Does SMG honor any warranties?

BTW, this is my second experience with this problem with a SMG bow. The first one was a carbon bow that I borrowed from a friend. That one left me some painful welts on my hand.

Thanks.

Thumbs up

Re: String coming off SMG bow

I have not had any experience with SMG bows myself but your friend who also owns one does he have the same problem as you? Do you do any sort of Khatra or have changed any of your form? I think it may be possible that some movements can encourage a strong to jump off the bow.

Anyway hopefully someone else has more information for you. Best of luck.

Thumbs up

wayfarer wrote:

I have not had any experience with SMG bows myself but your friend who also owns one does he have the same problem as you? Do you do any sort of Khatra or have changed any of your form? I think it may be possible that some movements can encourage a strong to jump off the bow.

Anyway hopefully someone else has more information for you. Best of luck.

Hi, I do not torque the handle, like some people do. It seems to add an additional element of variability to my shot.

Thumbs up

Check to see if the limb is twisted when unstrung

Thumbs up

And if it seems not to twist, check while strung.
And then pull slowly and watch if it starts to twist.

Thumbs up

I don't see a twist when unstrung. But, when strung, the tips have a slight twist. I've heard that SMG does this to accommodate right handed shooters. I shoot left handed, so the twist is not appropriate for me.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by ragnar 2017-09-19 16:36:10)

But, when strung, the tips have a slight twist. I've heard that SMG does this to accommodate right handed shooters.

I have no SMG bow, so I can't verify that claim.
But if this were true, you should have had the problems from the start, I guess.
I would interpret it as an internal damage in one limb.
This is a common fail mode for "modern" recurve bows.
I would contact SMG.

BTW, I'm shooting left handed as well.

Thumbs up

Had some ideas about it.
How do you store the bow ?
Does it get direct or indirect sunlight ?
I see plastic nocks on some of my arrows turning whitish after about two years, stored near a window facing north.
A common effect, easily seen with cheaper plastic garden furniture.

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

Had some ideas about it.
How do you store the bow ?
Does it get direct or indirect sunlight ?
I see plastic nocks on some of my arrows turning whitish after about two years, stored near a window facing north.
A common effect, easily seen with cheaper plastic garden furniture.

You might be on to something. The bow started giving me problems after a shooting session on a hot day, in the sun. There was no shade, so the bow got pretty warm. That might have warped it.

Thumbs up

Although the idea of the bow losing integrity after getting warm is a practical one, the experience that I have had with several SMG bows is that they are very strong and hearty.
That my experience with the SMG, not necessarily yours.

Very unnerving to have a strong work is way off.

Hope you figure it out.

Thumbs up

Although the idea of the bow losing integrity after getting warm is a practical one, ...

I believe a deformation caused by (moderate) heat would be reversible.
I would suggest to contact SMG /the bowyer, he should know best.

Thumbs up

ragnar wrote:

Although the idea of the bow losing integrity after getting warm is a practical one, ...

I believe a deformation caused by (moderate) heat would be reversible.
I would suggest to contact SMG /the bowyer, he should know best.

The seller says that it can be fixed, but cited prohibitive shipping costs and offered a new bow for a much reduced price.

Thumbs up

It's my experience, too, that bowyers often make concessions here, in particular when their reputation is at stake.
I followed a case in another forum, where a guy crashed 3 Kaya Black Shadow bows in a row (each after about four weeks, in a period of a half year).
It turned out - in the forum discussion -he drew the bow to 34", clearly beyond specs.
Freddie nonetheless replaced them for free, without asking back ...

Thumbs up