1 (edited by geoarcher 2018-05-28 15:03:01)

Topic: Elong Archery Yuan Bow

I noticed over at Custom Thumb Rings this post:

https://www.customthumbrings.com/blog/2 … golian-bow

There is also this review over at youtube.com:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZ2LQx6xMM

So I was seriously thinking of buying this bow over this weekend but am concerned now.  I was wondering if anyone would care to share all the reasons I should not buy this bow.  Also, CTR, would you care to expand on what your post was all about over at your site?

Thumbs up

Re: Elong Archery Yuan Bow

I don't know the Elong bow, but it reminds me of the Rolan Snake. Also an all-plastic ambidextrous bow. On the upside, it is very robust and performs quite well (I have a 18# junior version for my kids). On the downside, it loses draw weight after about a year. At least according to Malta Archery's review. But for about 60 Euro/USD, this seems acceptible.

Almost forgot, maximum available draw weight for the snake is 24#. I suspect higher draw weights would compound the durability issues.

Thumbs up

3 (edited by geoarcher 2018-05-29 19:12:11)

I talked to someone over at ATARN about the Elong bow and just decided to go with it.  They filled me on what happened with CTR (apparently had more to do with the purchasing of the bow than quality) and went over what to do in case there is a limb problem.

At about 80 bucks I guess its not that big of a deal either way.  My other hang ups with it were that it's a take down and so weak but apparently you can modify it with wood clay to make it one piece and add some resin to the belly of the bow to increase draw weight.  Apparently a vendor known as Eureka archery has done all this but I don't know much about what all is involved with applying the resin. 

I also got tired of waiting for Elong to release an alleged heavier pound version and there was always a chance I know from talking to them that they'd never go through with one.  So I may just try to modify mine when it comes in.

Thumbs up

I think that some fellows, including myself, would be really interested in a short test review of this bow...  ;-)

Thumbs up

The eagle has landed.  Today actually.

Got it all assembled, took it out for a brief trial run and have a few thoughts already but won't do a real mean lean review until I get better arrows for it and have a sunny day so I can chronograph it.  Review will probably be in the chronograph thread I created about a year or two ago.

Thumbs up

Great! Thanks...

Thumbs up

7 (edited by CTR 2018-06-23 15:10:36)

Heh, it is normally quiet here. Sorry I missed this for so long. I actually replied to this here first:
http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 5398#p5398

The issues were less with the bow (although there is a twist issue that causes them to flip to watch out for) and more to do with the company engaging in a variety of forms of monkey business/fraud. If you buy one, make sure you use a payment method that'll allow you some sort of recourse if the bow doesn't show up, or has some other issue. That is my best advice.

We actually tested one, but as the link notes we retracted what we published. The short version is that the performance is pretty poor, even for the low poundage, because the bow stacks and is very inefficient. That doesn't really matter for a trainer bow though, because it in inexpensive and incredibly durable. *shrug* Like I said in the other thread, we really wanted to carry the bow but were lucky to be able to walk away from this one without a major financial loss. We will not be doing further business with Elong Outdoors.

I hope that is helpful.

Thumbs up

CTR wrote:

Heh, it is normally quiet here. Sorry I missed this for so long. I actually replied to this here first:
http://www.koreanarchery.org/punbb/view … 5398#p5398

The issues were less with the bow (although there is a twist issue that causes them to flip to watch out for) and more to do with the company engaging in a variety of forms of monkey business/fraud. If you buy one, make sure you use a payment method that'll allow you some sort of recourse if the bow doesn't show up, or has some other issue. That is my best advice.

We actually tested one, but as the link notes we retracted what we published. The short version is that the performance is pretty poor, even for the low poundage, because the bow stacks and is very inefficient. That doesn't really matter for a trainer bow though, because it in inexpensive and incredibly durable. *shrug* Like I said in the other thread, we really wanted to carry the bow but were lucky to be able to walk away from this one without a major financial loss. We will not be doing further business with Elong Outdoors.

I hope that is helpful.

Gothca.  Still am curious about the 'cherry picking' though.

Thumbs up

9 (edited by geoarcher 2018-06-28 20:20:34)

Ah!  It came out finally.  The 30lbs at 28 inch version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kcdo6mWJuEo

Review video just came out today.  Its over at everyone's favorite online auction site for 99 USD + free shipping from China.  When pulled to 33 inches it practically gets 40 pounds of draw weight.  Speed is around 160 FPS.  Still need some pretty light arrows for the bow though.

Thumbs up