Topic: Korean stance and war bow draw weights

Hey everyone,

I am wondering what you guys think of the Korean archery stance the oblique stance vs parallel stance used by other cultures in regards to war weight bows so 80# and up.

I am specifically wondering in regards to the shoulder technique and lean demonstrated by Justin Ma (I will link the video later) and how it is applied to the Korean stance. I feel as though settling your shoulder before the draw does not feel natural like it does with a parallel stance. Maybe I am missing something or am not rotating as much when fully drawn.

Would the Korean stance have been different back when military weights where more common? Is the new form method a more recent change?

Does anyone have experience shooting warbow weights with the oblique stance?

Just want to facilitate some discussion on the topic.

Thumbs up

2 (edited by geoarcher 2019-11-11 16:37:21)

Re: Korean stance and war bow draw weights

wayfarer wrote:

Would the Korean stance have been different back when military weights where more common? Is the new form method a more recent change?

What I have bolded here is easily more the case.  I know in kyudo, much of what is practiced does not really apply to what the samurai would have done.  So be careful from the get go assuming what you see on youtube.com (or really almost anywhere else concerning the stance currently used) at present day Korean archery ranges regarding form has anything to do with what Joseon, Goguryeo, Silla, Baekje era Korean polities would have expected their archers to do for warfare. 

bluelake would probably know better than anyone else what, if any, ancient Korean warfare manuscripts would have had to say about the matter.  Anything beyond consulting those sources is really just going to be guess work.

Thumbs up