1 (edited by Wheelius 2020-08-28 18:31:31)

Topic: KTB Handle Attachment Options?

Hi All,

I currently have a Nomad Black Shadow from Freddie Archery and it does not have the thick handle that are on most KTBs. Instead of buying a new KTB with such handle, I would like to procure just the thick handle to fix onto my good working Black Shadow.

I know Freddie Archery sells a foam grip handle for repair purposes, but it requires the user to cut/shape the handle. I'd rather not go this route since I don't know exactly how the handle should be shaped.
http://www.koreanbow.com/shop/index.php … ;id_lang=1

Is there an option to purchase a premade handle (any material) that I can simply attach to my bow?

For example, Armin Hirmer did a review of YMG from Freddie Archery and the handle appears to be a split molded plastic that was glued together. Can something like this be purchased separately? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyZzCc9AxCs

Another example is the image I attached that I pulled from ATARN forum from a member that removed the thick handle that came with his KTB.

Thanks,

Dan

Thumbs up

Re: KTB Handle Attachment Options?

So the way it works with the foam is essentially you just cut it down/shape it until you like the way it feels.  At least to my understanding, there is no right or wrong way per se.  You can even leave it the way it is and just wrap the leather or whatever the grip material is over the foam and then call it a day.  That's what I did on one of mine I bought from Freddie and I can grasp it just fine according to how its supposed to be grasped.  Really, if your hands are rather large, you can just leave the foam the way it is and then cover it over with whatever material has been provided to you.  If not, then just shape it down to you feel comfortable with it. 

If you are still uncomfortable with this or require more of a tutorial, then I'd take to youtube.  There used to be a lot of videos there showing younger Korean gungdo students with smaller hands cutting-shaping the foam with knives and I don't think I recall any two shapings being exactly the same.  If I can find any of those videos I'll post but I recommend in the meantime you go on youtube and search.  You may conclude that you don't need to do anything at all to the foam and quite a few Koreans leave it that way as well, particularly older practitioners it seems.

Thumbs up