Topic: Koryo

Here is a link to a photo of the bow

http://www.koreanarchery.org/index.php? … &id=83

I was hoping to come across someone who might have a little bit of history of these bows, and any information in the construction of these bows.

The biggest questions that I have are about the riser. And how it is put together.
For some reason this bow really interests me.

It seems simpler in the amount of materials that are put together, but I can see where keeping the bamboo bending at the right locations would make it a challenge.

Would one need to heat treat and take as much care as it one would with the horn composite? Especially during bracing?

Also, what role did this bow play in history? Can it be dated as far back as the horn composite?

Thank you

Joseph

Thumbs up

Re: Koryo

This is a bow made by Mr. Park from Songmugung. It is the usual hwarang bow made with bamboo core, carbon on the back and belly, and instead of black paper pulp it had a stripe of bamboo. The release feels much cleaner than the classic model of hwarang bow. The shape seems to be closer to the horn bow, the bow keeps its shape after being shot, if the pressure on the handle is not distributed equally.

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

Here is a link to a photo of the bow

http://www.koreanarchery.org/index.php? … &id=83

I was hoping to come across someone who might have a little bit of history of these bows, and any information in the construction of these bows.

The biggest questions that I have are about the riser. And how it is put together.
For some reason this bow really interests me.

It seems simpler in the amount of materials that are put together, but I can see where keeping the bamboo bending at the right locations would make it a challenge.

Would one need to heat treat and take as much care as it one would with the horn composite? Especially during bracing?

Also, what role did this bow play in history? Can it be dated as far back as the horn composite?

Thank you

Joseph

It's pretty much as Cristiane said.  SMG first made the bow a few years ago, which is as far back as its history goes, but production has been very erratic--sometimes producing, while other times not. 

It's a nice bow to shoot (I love shooting the one Mr. Park gave me years ago), but its cast is not as much as a regular Hwarang.  It does not need any special heat treating or care.

Thumbs up

Alright, Thank you for all the info.

I thought that the bow was strictly constructed of bamboo, and had a little more history than that.
No wonder I could not find too much info......

Thumbs up