1 (edited by jbl 2011-11-20 05:39:12)

Topic: New Hwarang vs Old Hwarang

I just got my new Hwarang a couple days ago and wanted to compare it to the Hwarang that was bought used from a fellow who had gotten it from a few years back.  The first thing that I noticed is the new bow is longer, but with a narrower arrow pass then the older bow.  The bow itself has a little more reflex when unstrung compared to the older bow.  I also like the grip on the new bow better the older one which had the hemp where as the new one has a great leather handle.  It not only looks nice but really feels great in the hand. 

Tuning wise the biggest issue is the serving is bigger so I had to open up my nocks on my carbon arrows, but that really is not an issue.  The self nocked bamboo arrows I have fit like a glove.

Shooting wise it is hard to compare because this one is a heavier draw weight, but it is of course very smooth and feels about 10# lighter than the marked draw weight.  It is very fast, I actually may chrono the bow to see just how fast.  It shoots very flat and I was shooting good groups after just a couple arrows.

I will be taking it hunting next weekend so hopefully I will have some food to report on.  I will also post some pictures to show the difference.

Thumbs up +2

Re: New Hwarang vs Old Hwarang

Please post photo of your new Hwarang and high-res video of the hunt!   big_smile

Thumbs up

Congrats on your new hwarang Jbl.

Photo's please!

Per Blue Lake's comments when I had my older Hwarang for sale. It is was made my a now disabled bowyer, and is the best modern version of the korean bow made.

Not only from Blue Lake, but from users all around the world, I heard that the older Hwarangs are a superior Korean bow. Cast and ease of draw, has not been equaled with any of the other models.

Now that being said, I had a 55# Hwarang, that is so impressive. And I had a Kaya KTB that was also a rocket launcher, but lacked something.

Anyway, if this is true about the older Hwarang's, hold on to one if you can get it! They are becoming more and more valuable.

Thumbs up

Raven, where does the KTB fall short compared to the Hwarang?

Thumbs up

In my opinion, the fit and finish of the Hwarang is a stark contrast from that of the KTB.

When it comes to shooting, the KTB was a rocket launcher. Maybe faster than the 55 Hwarang? But it seemed not quite as smooth as the Hwarang and at full draw was not as pleasant to hold. This could have been just a matter of the grip.

And perhaps that could be easily remedied if I had made some adjustments to the handle like some here have done.

It is so hard to talk about different bows, and vague terms such as "stability, cast, smooth draw". These terms are so hard to quantify from shooter to shooter. What one might deem as stable, the other might not.

I am a firm believer that different shooting techniques can deliver different results from the same bow.

And if this is the case, then different users will get different results from different bows. And to me this is a positive.

Also, you will be hard pressed to find any honest person tell you that pound for pound, a real horn bow will shoot faster or flatter than a modern day composite. I've come across no one who will honestly tell me that you will get better results. And I am speaking about quantifiable results. Ones that can be measured.

For example, I had a 850.00 dollar crim tartar from Lukas Novotny. Great guy to deal with and a bowyer like no other.

The bow was 50lbs at 30 inches. I had a KTB that was also 50lbs at 32 inches. And while using identical arrows, that little kaya, was far beyond that Saluki in speed and arrow penetration.

Yet, the saluki was stable and easy to shoot, and the fit and finish was like no other.

Some guys have a lot of money into horn bows, and so often a person can see different things when they have so much invested it.

Conversely, almost all who have shot a horn bow will tell you it is different. A different feel, but not better results.

This is what makes traditional archery so enjoyable. It's a very personal experience.

Once again, my opinion and I do not in anyway ever mean to offend anyone.

Thumbs up

raven wrote:

Congrats on your new hwarang Jbl.

Photo's please!

Per Blue Lake's comments when I had my older Hwarang for sale. It is was made my a now disabled bowyer, and is the best modern version of the korean bow made.

Not only from Blue Lake, but from users all around the world, I heard that the older Hwarangs are a superior Korean bow. Cast and ease of draw, has not been equaled with any of the other models.

Now that being said, I had a 55# Hwarang, that is so impressive. And I had a Kaya KTB that was also a rocket launcher, but lacked something.

Anyway, if this is true about the older Hwarang's, hold on to one if you can get it! They are becoming more and more valuable.

I should just note that the Hwarang bows are made by two bowyers who are still healthy and happily making bows.  The disabled bowyer made horn bows.  I'm sorry if anything I might have said in another thread might have confused people.

Thumbs up

7 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-21 08:08:51)

Raven is correct that the KTB is not as smooth to draw or hold at 32" compared to the Hwarang.  If the siyahs of the KTB were more forward pointing, wouldn't the draw be smoother?

Thumbs up

As I know, mr. Park from SMG works to open a factory in China. I believe is a high probability to be some quality issues when it will start production in China, beginning is not easy. His employers must to learn properly how to make a bow.

Thumbs up

That depends who is in charge of production and quality control.    As long as the QA guy is awake, everything should be fine  big_smile .

ginni wrote:

As I know, mr. Park from SMG works to open a factory in China. I believe is a high probability to be some quality issues when it will start production in China, beginning is not easy. His employers must to learn properly how to make a bow.

Thumbs up

10 (edited by jbl 2011-11-23 02:45:13)

Well the bow is accurate here is what I did to a bamboo self nock tonight at 15 yds.  My wife's response, "How much did that cost ME?" roll

Post's attachments

Bamboo Robin Hood 006.jpg 672.63 kb, 6 downloads since 2011-11-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Thumbs up

If you have to ruin an arrow, that is the way to do it! Nice shot!

Thumbs up

JBL, your bow is a YMG (that in the picture).
I cannot tell the differences between the four types presented on the bowyers site.
Two years ago I have seen few bows with some yellow/translucent belly, but I didn't liked the feeling, those bows were stacking badly, I think it was the time when the bowyer made some design tests.

Also I drew a very reflexed bow which I liked very much, but was only light draw weight.

However, after few mails, the bowyer convinced me he ca make the bow I want and he made a 74lbs@28”, long version, he called the bow „masterpiece”.
It was not a real masterpiece. Far away from the korean smoothness, the 70 lbs SMG was faster. And the biggest issue was with one limb, the lower limb started to lose the power and the bow became very unbalanced (no cracks and no apparent damage).
Mr. Park was very kind, he told is sorry about the issue and for about a year we was searching for a way to fix or replace the bow.
I met him in Korea this year and he changed the bow with a 65 regular one, medium length, which is an excellent bow. I bought another one, so much I liked.

In test is almost same range with 70 SMG, few meters short at flight shooting, I like this bow very much and is not that expensive „masterpiece”.

So, I think nobody can tell the differences between new and old hwarangs made by mr. Park from YMG. The bowyer knows, but I doubt he will tell you. He will say only that the new design is better!

Nice shot in the picture! I did many but I never split the arrow full length, do you wrap the nocks?

Thumbs up

13 (edited by jbl 2011-11-23 19:22:28)

Joe and Ginni thanks for the complimet and Ginni thanks for the added info.  I knew that Hwarang was now YMG and I really like the feel of this bow in the hand. 

Ginni I do wrap the nock with sinew but this was a first for me as it most have hit dead center and opened up the arrow when it hit the other arrow.  The sinew was not even cut but kind of came "unwound" a lucky one in about a trillion shot.

Thumbs up

I didn't make it hunting yesterday because of the rainy, windy weather hoping to get out this afternoon.  Here are some pictures of the new girl vs the old lady wink

Post's attachments

Hwarangs 001.jpg 721.51 kb, 3 downloads since 2011-11-27 

Thumbs up

Braced view the new one has the leather wrapped handle.

Post's attachments

Hwarangs 002.jpg 692.89 kb, 2 downloads since 2011-11-27 

Thumbs up

The siyahs the old bow did not have the leather on the nocks when I bought it.

Post's attachments

Hwarangs 004.jpg 837.18 kb, 4 downloads since 2011-11-27 

Thumbs up

The grips the older one had a hemp wrap which I liked but after shooting the new bow I really like the leather it just feels better in the hand.

After seeing the bows you can see there really is not that much difference in the bows and they both are so pleasant and fun to shoot.  They are fast and quiet.

Post's attachments

Hwarangs 003.jpg 669.18 kb, 1 downloads since 2011-11-27 

Thumbs up

Jamie,
Thank you for the comparison photos.

It is impressive to me the only subtle differences of these bows. I think that it really speaks to the overall design of the Korean bow.

All and all hard to improve on!

Thumbs up

Can these bows be braced using a longbow stringer, where leather "cups" are placed over both of the limb nocks?  tongue

Thumbs up

WillScarlet wrote:

Can these bows be braced using a longbow stringer, where leather "cups" are placed over both of the limb nocks?  tongue

Not very well, Will.  The best way to string them is by this method: http://www.hornbow.com/hktbstring.html

Thomas

Thumbs up