Topic: The bamboo arrow and penetration on big game.

Does anyone have, or know of any experiences of bamboo arrows and hunting big game with them?

Trident's thread show casing his arrows has really got me thinking that I need to try my hand at making some.

It would be informative to know of any experiences any might have or heard of.

Thank you,

Joseph

Thumbs up

Re: The bamboo arrow and penetration on big game.

Although I've never used them, bamboo arrows fascinate me, just from peoples reviews and brief explinations of how they perform. I intend to make my next set of arrows out of bamboo, and will experiment with them thoroughly. Will use them to hunt with, but God knows when I might have any insight as to how they perform on game animals. From what I've read, they are comparatively heavier than other arrow materials (except hardwoods), easy to tune to your bow, and penetrate VERY well.   I'm excited!!

Thumbs up

3 (edited by WarBow 2011-11-28 06:57:51)

Regarding the penetration part, that's also the evidence I get from reading other posts.  Mark Hill from the UK has tanged Damascus hunting broadheads for sale.  I wonder how the two combination will help with penetrating very thick wild hog shield?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Damascus-Steel- … 2eb96e2790

WillScarlet wrote:

Although I've never used them, bamboo arrows fascinate me, just from peoples reviews and brief explinations of how they perform. I intend to make my next set of arrows out of bamboo, and will experiment with them thoroughly. Will use them to hunt with, but God knows when I might have any insight as to how they perform on game animals. From what I've read, they are comparatively heavier than other arrow materials (except hardwoods), easy to tune to your bow, and penetrate VERY well.   I'm excited!!

Thumbs up

I don't see why penetration would be a problem  For the most part they are heavier than carbons especially at their full lengths.  I know people who shoot with cane arrows and self bows and have no problem taking "big game" in NA.  I once had a friend tell me, "it is the blade" meaning a sharp broadhead would be the key.

During archery deer season I always keep a bamboo arrow with a broadhead when I am small game hunting just in case a deer is dumb enough to wander across my path.  Over the next couple of weeks (if I get out) I may have personal experience for you.

Jamie

Thumbs up