Topic: Early Westerner's View of a Korean Archer

This is from 1866 when the French had a small military action in Korea.

http://www.koreanarchery.org/zuberpic.jpg

Thumbs up

Re: Early Westerner's View of a Korean Archer

The artist couldn't represent the Korean bow as it is...instead his version of the bow looks like the Cupid bow...

Thumbs up

Not only the bow, but also the clothing.  A Joseon officer with a bow would have looked a lot more like my avatar.

http://www.koreanarchery.org/chief.jpg

Thumbs up

This kind of bow was usual into french art, and considered as the "typical asian bow"... Maybe this artist never went to Korea...

Thumbs up

Actually, Zuber was a French officer in Admiral Roze's 1866 military action in Korea.  You might be interested in the entire article (in French) where the drawing came from: http://www.shinmiyangyo.org/punbb/punbb … c.php?id=7

Thumbs up

I have the pictures, will be reading the article tonight, thank you very much !

Thumbs up

Raph,

It would be really interesting to hear your take on the article, as I only know enough French to get my face slapped... wink

T

Thumbs up

Well, in short...

The style is typical from the usual point of view of this time.
The civilized westerners come to barbarian korea because some missionaries were killed, and it was important to teach to the barbarian how powerful the civilized people were...
He was extremely surprised to find some books even into the poor's houses, at this time most of the poor westerners could not read or write...

About archery, he says that he found many bows and arrows into the armouries, but during the battles they were never used, only matchlock rifles with small handle, so not to hold by only one man, because it could not be locked on the shoulder. Another man's shoulder was used to hold the canon, or a kind of fork. You know better than me what I am trying to talk about.

About the picture, it was probably made with a korean guy holding a bow found into the armouries, using the bow and arrows being at this time a sign of primitive civilization.
I do not know if at this time holding the bow and arrows was still usual into the korean army, for display or parade?

If you want, I could make a short translation, even if my english is far from good.

Thumbs up

Thanks, Raph!  If you could do a translation of the sections regarding bows/arrows and firearms, that would be fantastic (and I will list you in my dissertation acknowledgements^^). 

The bow remained an official military weapon until the mid-1890s when there was a major reform in the country.  However, I don't think the bow was seriously used militarily after 1866.  The regent of Korea proclaimed that "powder should meet powder".  It's interesting that the writer said the Koreans did not use bows in the action, and is a very important point.

T

Thumbs up

Here it is, please forgive my poor english.
"An expedition to Korea
By M;H. Zuber, former marine officer.
Partial translation of his text relating the french expedition to Korea in 1865-1866.

(...)Under the yumon, long buildings, some of them made of stone, some made of wood, are used a government store. It would not be possible to enumerate everything which was inside when the town was taken. Over the weapons in huge quantities, cannons loaded by the breech, matchlock rifles, javelines, axes, bows, armor. Over the gunpowder, candles which seem to be subject of a monopoly, irons, and so on. We also found lots of books and huge stocks of paper. Most of the books, some of them being ornated with remarkable paintings, belong now to the Paris National Library.(...)

(...)After the madarin left, taking back to his master a negative answer, many fights happened with korean troops. These troops behaved well, and showed military skills and a kinf of bravery. We could see, during these battles, that bows, javelins ans head crushers, found in so huge numbers in the stores of Kang-ha, are not any more used, and are now completetly replaced by matchlock rifles. This weapon, whose butt ts too short to put to the shoulder, is of difficult use. The shooter needs a parapet, a door-frame, or, on the field, the shoulder of another man to hold the weapon and to give it a proper direction. The korean cannons are for the true little formidable, and when their projectiles reached their target, it was pure hazard. Some soldiers were wearing armor. Made of an iron helmet, with red feather, armbands and iron stich waders and finally a large wearing reinforced with boiled leather plates superimposed and hold together by big nails, these armors are not bulletproof. (...) "

Thumbs up

Interesting!

Thumbs up